advertisement

Luxman/Accuphase/Yamaha - Quality?

Morning update. Some notes:

Sonically it’s great. Whether it’s great enough, let me get to know it a bit more. Wish the meters measured input signal rather than being tied to output listening volume. They’re more responsive than Mac meters. Loudness setting more pronounced than expected. I don’t really need it. Wish it had balanced outputs but my Mjolnir does so will ultimately be connected DAC->Mjolnir->Luxman through necessity.

One wee negative is that there is the faintest of transformer hum from the unit itself (nothing through the speakers) and not at all intrusive, especially when music playing.

If you've got some nitpicks (transformer hum, not the build quality you were expecting, meters measuring the wrong thing) then it seems like it's not going work out as a 'final' amp. Any negatives (even small) will be used as rationale for another upgrade. Then again I think this will be the case for any option.

I could probably make decent money betting people that their 'final' thingamajig will be gone in 5 years or less. ;)

The build quality is great, no complaints; it’s just not ‘remarkable’. Hum may be a break-in thing. The meters really don’t matter. Overall, I am *very* impressed - don’t think that I’m not. But it would be a reach to sink this kinda dough into the amp, and it’s not something to be taken lightly....

I could probably make decent money betting people that their 'final' thingamajig will be gone in 5 years or less. ;)
Never say never and all that. Who knows what the future brings, but I would dearly love to get off the hifi treadmill. I’m basically there but for the amp.....

One wee negative is that there is the faintest of transformer hum from the unit itself (nothing through the speakers) and not at all intrusive, especially when music playing.

FWIW, the transformer on my L590 hummed a bit until the amp warmed up. In my case it was due to my mains being 246v. A regenerator putting out a steady 230v silenced the transformer.

Reactions: JTC
What is the amp sitting on?
Is your room warm or cold?
Does it hum only at times?
Any previous amps hum?
Big oak sideboard, fairly empty cupboard underneath that may be slightly amplifying the hum. Room is cool(ish) - 18C at present - but warmer in the evenings (heating comes on around 4pm). Too early to say if it’s time-telated: it’s only had about 10hrs powered since new. Previous amps: the Mac hums less, don’t think anything has been perfectly silent though. An olive NAP250 hummed way more. The Luxman really isn’t humming badly at all to be fair...

I'm quietly confident it'll stop - maybe when the rooms hotter and the amps had time to really build up some decent heat.
Also the empty 'box' underneath could possibly be amplifying the hum.
It's not a potted transformer so will to some extent depend on your incomings mains quality.

Big oak sideboard, fairly empty cupboard underneath that may be slightly amplifying the hum. Room is cool(ish) - 18C at present - but warmer in the evenings (heating comes on around 4pm). Too early to say if it’s time-telated: it’s only had about 10hrs powered since new. Previous amps: the Mac hums less, don’t think anything has been perfectly silent though. An olive NAP250 hummed way more. The Luxman really isn’t humming badly at all to be fair...

It can be irritating though, especially late at night. I had 4 amps in my last place, a Leben buzzed very slightly, a borrowed Lavardin was dead silent (as I'd expect from previous experience), a 47Labs amp was the worst offender, apparently a common issue with chip amps, and the current Job was completely inert. As with the Lavardin, if it weren't for the LEDs on the front panel, you'd never know if it was one or off even with a paw on the top panel.

Just had a sparky round this morning doing complete wiring check in new residence, the amp's not been switched on yet, so fingers crossed...

The build quality is great, no complaints; it’s just not ‘remarkable’. Hum may be a break-in thing. The meters really don’t matter. Overall, I am *very* impressed - don’t think that I’m not. But it would be a reach to sink this kinda dough into the amp, and it’s not something to be taken lightly....

Just out of curiosity, are you referring to 'fit & finish' (actually, I tend to think of it as 'fit, finish & feel') or internal build quality?

Just out of curiosity, are you referring to 'fit & finish' (actually, I tend to think of it as 'fit, finish & feel') or internal build quality?
Just (ahem) ‘knob feel’ ;) - it’s good but a few reviews had spoken of irresistible tactile pleasure from Luxman amps’ controls. I guess hyperbole....

FWIW, the transformer on my L590 hummed a bit until the amp warmed up. In my case it was due to my mains being 246v. A regenerator putting out a steady 230v silenced the transformer.
Some transformers hum when the voltage is either too low or too high so what you say here makes perfect sense.
I have the exact same situation with my Naim NAP 250.2 but when the main is dead on the right frequency and voltage, my amplifier is perfectly silent.
Generally speaking, the bigger the transfo, the more risk you have to get some humming, especially when its diameter is large and the height is low.

Just (ahem) ‘knob feel’ ;) - it’s good but a few reviews had spoken of irresistible tactile pleasure from Luxman amps’ controls. I guess hyperbole....

Or perhaps it was a comment from a younger knob-twiddler who doesn't remember the 1970s heyday of sexy smooth Japanese stuff. I'm sure part of that success was the fact that all the controls felt either sexy or precise whereas a lot of the UK-made knobbage was a bit scratchy by comparison, or felt like it might come off in your hand (which it occasionally did).

I'm not sure they've ever surpassed that period either, I've owned amps by Kondo and Leben which had knobs and switches which were nice enough but not swoon-inducingly buttery. My Job, although relatively inexpensive, has Goldmund switchgear and quite a pleasant feel.

Looking around just now, I confess in terms of aesthetics and fit & finish, to my eyes I don't see anything as appealing as SPEC or Bakoon. I confess if I were to be looking for my ultimate amp, the M99 or the AMP-13R would be the first two products I'd make a beeline for.

Sadly, as I moved house just last week...

It’s a matter of running in, the materials expanding and contracting to there extremes. This is a fact, they are made of different metals and metals do this.. transformers generally stop humming after a few weeks.

advertisement

Back