advertisement

Wharfdale Elysian 2?

Hook

Blackbeard's former bo'sun.
These large stand mounts with tailor-made stands look really good to my eyes, and appear to be getting positive buzz.

InDozHL.jpg

They remind me a bit of Sonus Faber, but at a much lower price point (presumably because they are made in China). This guy did a nice review, and really likes them.

Have any Fishes heard these (or the Elysian 4 floor standers)?

they look really nice if nothing else!
Be interesting to hear if anyone has them on here?

3 way standmount + Peter Comeau = Greatness.

I've said it before, I'll say it again.

Also I believe they've got something else coming out from Wharfedale, above the Linton's, but below these. I'm not sure which series they will fall into but they're sure to kick a**.

3 way standmount + Peter Comeau = Greatness.

I've said it before, I'll say it again.

Also I believe they've got something else coming out from Wharfedale, above the Linton's, but below these. I'm not sure which series they will fall into but they're sure to kick a**.

Haven’t heard them yet, but I am still going to agree with you. :)

Just watched this interview with Comeau. Agree completely with his design goal of creating a “Goldilocks“ speaker (my word, not his).

My comment was based on my personal experience with those brands. If relying on personal experience qualifies as snobbery, then I guess I’m guilty as charged.

To be fair it isn’t snobbery as much as the company’s track record for producing speakers that aren’t generally very good.

I think you should substitute 'weren't' for 'aren't'. They did go through a rough patch in their history, and obviously have moved far from their roots, but 'aren't' isn't really appropriate. Unless of course you inhabit the aforementioned "Audiophile snobbery" territory.

To be fair it isn’t snobbery as much as the company’s track record for producing speakers that aren’t generally very good.

Agree. They made the original Diamonds, which were great if you drove them with kit well outside their class, but after that they pulled of the neat trick of producing a plethora of speakers which got glowing reviews despite sounding absolutely terrible. I'd take anything written about any Wharfdale loudspeakers with several pounds of salt.

I had the 505.2s which are very good. They were my first speakers. I keep looking at pairs on eBay and wonder if my Justboom would power them. So not all terrible.

If I had that much cash to blow on a pair of speakers I would compile a list to audition based on reviews & recommendations, availability & potential dealer service & looks & build quality. The last thing I would consider is the badge on the front, & yes, I drive a Skoda.
TS

Disagree. Also had them and think they are terrible. I've just given my son a pair of 507s to use in his office, also terrible. Sound clean, that's it. No life, dynamics or soul whatsoever.
Then we’ll agree to disagree. With my old MF Amp, Nad CD and Rega TT they sounded big, bold and dynamic. They had a valve like warmth that made my opera recording sing. Lovely speakers and great vfm second hand. Never tried 507s.

If I had that much cash to blow on a pair of speakers I would compile a list to audition based on reviews & recommendations, availability & potential dealer service & looks & build quality. The last thing I would consider is the badge on the front, & yes, I drive a Skoda.
TS
Love Skodas. Deceptively great cars and drive as well as their more expensive peers.

advertisement

Back