advertisement

Friday Fun Favourite Bass Players

I don’t agree at all

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percy_Jones_(musician)

"The uniqueness of his approach, particularly with Brand X and on his contributions to Brian Eno's Another Green World and Before and After Science LPs of the 1970s, cast a long shadow. Perhaps the most obvious example of this can be clearly seen in the work of Japan bassist Mick Karn, who acknowledged Jones as an influence at various times during his career."

So, even Mick doesn't agree with you. ;)

My favourites, not already mentioned:
Phil Lesh
Jack Casady
Dave Pegg
Surprised no-one has mentioned, so I will:
Dave Holland
Duck Dunn
James Jamerson
J P Jones

From me:

John Entwistle (The 'oo)
Craig Adams (Sisters of Mercy)
Lemmy
Percy Jones
Hartmut Enke (Ash Ra Tempel)
Steve Hanley (The Fall)
Hugh Hopper (Soft Machine)
Simon Gallup (The Cure)
John Patitucci
Bootsy Collins

some good choices there! how I managed to miss Steve Hanley off my list I'll never know! Craig Adams also a good shout

Some of my favourites not yet mentioned...

Barry Adamson (Magazine)
John Wetton (King Crimson)
Colin Edwin (Porcupine Tree)

Barry Adamson would be on my list if I rewrote it! A glaring omission on my part

Phil Lynott: Underrated player in my opinion. Together with his excellent song writing and syrupy vocals, he was the complete rock front man.
Mick Carn: in terms of fretless playing, he is my favourite. To my ears he sounds nothing like Jaco or Percy Jones. His note choice was always the unexpected and very interesting.
John Paul Jones: He was one half of what many would argue, was the greatest rock rhythm section ever. Was very firm with playing in the pocket.
Note, none of the above ever slapped a bass, a style which was initially interesting, but as the years have gone by, has been over cooked. Just my opinion.

Bruce Thomas of the Attractions.
Norman Watt Roy or whatever his name is of the Blockheads.
Colin Hodgkinson of Backdoor.
And lastly the bassist with Greenslade - Tony Reeves.

Note, none of the above ever slapped a bass, a style which was initially interesting, but as the years have gone by, has been over cooked. Just my opinion.

For me it works in a proper jazz context, e.g. Marcus Miller on say Miles Davis’s We Want Miles, or in the dark funk of Sly & The Family Stone etc, but is a cliche in pop & rock, with the exception of fIREHOSE/Minutemen:

There is good reason Mike Watt makes my list!

PS Martin Carr named his post-Boo Radleys solo project track after the above track.

Phil Lynott = Beyond cool
Bruce Foxton - 'Lead' bass playing outclassing Weller's guitar. Much under rated.
Tony Butler - Formally with Big Country among others. Cool, great bass and great bloke!

All IMHO of course... :)

Cliff Burton - Metallica (heavy)

Another vote for the Legend In Loon Pants.

eeXThZm.png

advertisement

Back