advertisement

BBC best albums of the 80's poll results

Muso journalists are so great at rewriting history. I distinctly remember the NME review for the Stone Roses LP, 7 out of 10, nothing special they said. Fast forward a year and it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Totally agree with Tony L on this one, nothing you wouldn't name if pressed for best 30 albums of the 80s. And hey, Dare is good but Travelogue roasts it.

Muso journalists are so great at rewriting history. I distinctly remember the NME review for the Stone Roses LP, 7 out of 10, nothing special they said. Fast forward a year and it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Totally agree with Tony L on this one, nothing you wouldn't name if pressed for best 30 albums of the 80s. And hey, Dare is good but Travelogue roasts it.

Totally agree re Travelogue, it's a classic

I am not a fan of Collins but he is a really great musician, not sure Gabriel is but he’s definitely had the more interesting solo output. The best thing Collins ever did was help John Martyn make ‘Grace & Danger’.

If you ever have the pleasure of seeing Gabriel live you will likely get to see him play piano and sometimes the flute, but his keyboard skills are right up there with many of the best, he also understands the textures of music far better than nearly any other mainstream rock musician I have ever encountered. If you watch the documentary on the making of his fourth album you will see what I mean.

There's always one pedant ;) I just checked the sleeve - has 1989 and 1990 on - I expect recorded in 89 and released in 90 - for some reason I've always thought of it as a late 80s album, but you are absolutely right.

I nearly added Violator to my list before checking the release date, I too though it was 1989.

I nearly added Violator to my list before checking the release date, I too though it was 1989.

It's a shame Rolling Stone didn't check London Calling's release date before adding it to their list

Although I think the US release may well have been 1980

Just a shame I can't have it in my list :(

Workers Playtime was another special album

220px-BillyBraggWorkersPlaytime.jpg

Just qualifying for the 80s,

Hawkwind Levitation
A brilliant combination of Hawkwind and Ginger Bakers drumming

advertisement

Back