advertisement

Sonic Youth , any love for them on here?

I always think of Sonic Youth (and Bardo Pond) as being the center of my venn diagram of musical tastes. One of the best ever.

Kim Gordon's post SY-stuff has been great. Particularly the projects with Bill Nace.

I was more of a Butthole Surfers fan when Sonic Youth first made it in the UK.

I remember watching The Buttholes one afternoon years ago at Reading Festival

Came on, played one song then smashed everything up!!

proper job as well. had to set it all up again, epic!!!

I remember watching The Buttholes one afternoon years ago at Reading Festival

Yep. I was there. Loop were going to be hard to beat from that day but the 'Surfers did just that.

If you buy the 'Widowermaker' EP it contains photos from the set.

I have If'n and always thought the drum kit just had an SM57 hanging over it, nothing else.

Try it again! I’m playing it now, definitely fully mic’d, there’s a massive weight to the kick drum, the toms have their own reverb and panning, as does the metalwork. The drummer has a great crisp snare tuning and is very good on his hi-hat (incredible drummer all round), so quite crisp, but it is a great recording. Really sounding amazing here through the Tannoys, very ‘live band in the room’. A great production IMO, a really light touch, it doesn’t have any of that ‘over-produced dead rock band reanimated in the studio’ thing that I hate. The fact they are such a good band obviously helps, they really understand space, timing etc and know exactly where to put the gaps, to give each other space etc. Jazz level playing really.

So many of those SST label recordings are just so live and dynamic sounding, I assume they were pretty much live in the studio with just a couple of later overdubs.

Totally agree, I reckon If'n and Sister are two great examples of how SST got it right

Yep. I was there. Loop were going to be hard to beat from that day but the 'Surfers did just that.

If you buy the 'Widowermaker' EP it contains photos from the set.
Saw Loop a couple of years ago in Liverpool, still a real groove to their sound. New album on the way it seems.

Great band, but typically (for me) their Peel session when they did 4 Fall songs is the best thing!

One of my favourite bands. I love most of their albums but Daydream Nation is their masterpiece. I treasure my LP with signed poster.
Kim and Thurston's latest solo albums are both excellent.

One of my favourite bands. I love most of their albums but Daydream Nation is their masterpiece. I treasure my LP with signed poster.
Kim and Thurston's latest solo albums are both excellent.

I bought that with poster from Selectadisc on day of release

A quiet American guy I know here in the Blackforest who had a record dealing business in the States before moving here turned out to have been a supplier of obscure records to Thurston Moore in particular and relatively close to them all... couldn't believe it when I found out as I've been a fan of SY for years. Was Washing Machine mentioned yet? One of my favourites.

I love sonic youth. Maybe my all-time favourite band. I got into them as a teenager when dirty came out.

Not as catchy as the grunge/smashing pumpkins/RHCP etc that I was also into at the time but once I got into them I really loved each album.

Strangely, when I saw them play in Manchester and London in the early 2000s they didn't leave much of an impression.

A quiet American guy I know here in the Blackforest who had a record dealing business in the States before moving here turned out to have been a supplier of obscure records to Thurston Moore in particular and relatively close to them all... couldn't believe it when I found out as I've been a fan of SY for years. Was Washing Machine mentioned yet? One of my favourites.

No mention of Washing Machine so far, but it's a very good album and one I haven't heard in a while, might have to change that and put it on!

Big fan too, first album of theirs I bought was Sister, love it still.

Never ranked Daydream Nation as one of my fave SY albums, but enjoyed pretty much everything they‘ve ever done. One of my main bands for years, a little less so after streaming became my only source as there’s just so much new stuff to discover!

Never ranked Daydream Nation as one of my fave SY albums, but enjoyed pretty much everything they‘ve ever done.

I reckon it's a fantastic album but as I've said up thread certainly not my fave of theirs.

I think for many though at the time it was considered as one of their more "accessible" albums

Annoyed I missed this, but Thurston was just down the road from me, doing signings at Lion Coffee records in Clapton today!

advertisement

Back