advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XII

Status
Not open for further replies.
How's school? Any good stories?

Not really, mostly stressful as I try to maintain a two metre distance, remember the rules for fourteen different schools and still try to be my usual affable self. Lots of kids at home. Teaching via teams a lot, much patience is needed.

Looks like Lancashire's price was just £12m - the LCC net budget is £845m to put the sum into perspective...

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...0851521938b1c6#block-5f897bad8f0851521938b1c6

Johnson implies that he will impose on GM

"Something must happen in Greater Manchester. He would much rather act with local leaders. He urges Manchester’s leaders to cooperate, as Liverpool’s and Lancashire’s have done.
He says this is about saving lives. Everyone in Greater Manchester should think about it, he says."

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...0851521938b20c#block-5f8980b38f0851521938b20c

Doesn’t surprise me in the slightest. I didn’t really understand Burnham’s game-plan as it seemed to be both anti-science and against current Labour thinking. I get that he’s trying to defend business, but effectively arguing to keep pubs etc open in the midst of a global pandemic is just bollocks IMO. It is the Trump/anti-vaccer/Q-Anon thinking one would associate with Desmond Swayne and The Dickheads Of UKIP.

That's not what his plan was at all, he was simply saying Manchester will go into tier3 with proper financial support, if that's not forthcoming then Johnson will need to impose it. Totally agree with him.

He's also spot on about the Tories hanging the north of England out to dry, they are London centric ****s!

In Tier 3 Liverpool version the government made the gyms shut. In Lancashire they let them stay open. Go figure. If London ever gets to Tier 3 they’ll probably be allowed to keep the bars and restaurants open.

Johnson implies that he will impose on GM

"Something must happen in Greater Manchester. He would much rather act with local leaders. He urges Manchester’s leaders to cooperate, as Liverpool’s and Lancashire’s have done.
He says this is about saving lives. Everyone in Greater Manchester should think about it, he says."

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...0851521938b20c#block-5f8980b38f0851521938b20c

It's not co-operation he's after, it's surrender to his will. He's a bully and a crap one at that. Hope Burnham tells him to go **** himself!

I think the mistake by northern Labour is to pose this as the North vs the South issue. The disease impacts the poor and the vulnerable far more than the better off. I completely agree with what @Monitor Gold 10 has been saying. In a similar vein, there was a story this week about Royal Mail in Cardiff refusing to deep clean a depot where there has been a big outbreak, in a squabble over who was to pay for it. As we have seen, there is no unity between Burnham and the right wing Tories in Lancashire over poverty, low wages, a shocking benefit system etc, which affects people in the London boroughs, the Midlands and Wales etc., as much as in parts of GM. A defeat for Burnham i.e imposition will have repercussions elsewhere. I can just imagine Burnham running to courts challenging pub closures, it's just not the kind of Leadership in public health that we need. Soon Manchester, like Lancashire, will have more patients on ventilation than during the first wave but Burnham will have opposed the measures (however pitiful). Better to agree and say but...
Yes, some great posts from @Monitor Gold 10 recently, and I really enjoyed his blog post. Reading it reminded me how desperately poor news coverage of the issues working people face is.

In Tier 3 Liverpool version the government made the gyms shut. In Lancashire they let them stay open. Go figure. If London ever gets to Tier 3 they’ll probably be allowed to keep the bars and restaurants open.

Posh gyms in Lancashire ;)

It's not all bad news:

EkcIZyeXgAE-rw_

From Serco's profit forecast, which has just been upgraded.

Not really, mostly stressful as I try to maintain a two metre distance, remember the rules for fourteen different schools and still try to be my usual affable self. Lots of kids at home. Teaching via teams a lot, much patience is needed.

Sorry about that, I was kind of hoping that it would have an exciting and funny side, kids being kids etc. But it's true that teacher's I know "in real life" have said things like what you said -- maybe with the additional comment that lunchtimes are particularly difficult.

Well speaking objectively and impartially I certainly hope so.

My son tested positive on the 9th October (he is a cook in a care home)

... he sent me this message just now:

“our manager is saying its ok for us that tested positive to return to work on the 19th, which i think is 3-4 days early, then also saying that the people that tested positive wont be tested again for 90 days?”

Talk about going the extra mile to protect the residents....

It's not all bad news:
From Serco's profit forecast, which has just been upgraded.

I think people have forgotten just how poisonous and corrupt the Tories became previously with Aitken, Archer, Seldom-Glummer feeding his daughter BSE burgers, etc. (I'm choosing non-partisan examples) - they genuinely repulsed people. They're no different today but they're getting away with it now...

Sorry about that, I was kind of hoping that it would have an exciting and funny side, kids being kids etc. But it's true that teacher's I know "in real life" have said things like what you said -- maybe with the additional comment that lunchtimes are particularly difficult.
If I was still teaching I’d be off the premises at lunchtime like a shot.

I was teaching when industrial action was required to even get the right to a lunchtime break. In the 70s you were required to do dinner duty, often leaving no time for your own lunch never mind a cigarette!
It was hard fought for and needs protecting.
Especially now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back