advertisement

Linn LP12 power supply advice

Hi,

No, the Valhalla uses the same 50Hz pulley on U.S. LP12s. It takes 60Hz 120V and synthesizes it to the 50Hz 85V AC required to drive the LP12 motor. It's just a matter of changing the fuse to the proper slot, and no pulley change required.

On the other hand if you own a U.S. Majik LP12 and plan to upgrade to a Valhalla or Lingo 1-3 then you will need the 50Hz pulley since the Majik LP12 uses a 60Hz pulley (smaller).

I've done a couple of upgrades on the Valhalla and have seen the alternative fuse position for the USA.

I'm in the UK so all 230/240v

I've just been reading "Hi-Fi AF" a blogger who has gone down the Mober/aro/keel/kore/Tiger Paw routes....not read it all yet but it looks an interesting read.
I'm not in any mad rush to upgrade yet, but its always in the back of your mind with an LP12.

I've done a couple of upgrades on the Valhalla and have seen the alternative fuse position for the USA.

I'm in the UK so all 230/240v

I've just been reading "Hi-Fi AF" a blogger who has gone down the Mober/aro/keel/kore/Tiger Paw routes....not read it all yet but it looks an interesting read.
I'm not in any mad rush to upgrade yet, but its always in the back of your mind with an LP12.
I’ve been on the same path as yourself for 18 months or so. Had an Armageddon for 20 odd years, was very happy with it, but motor was finally shot and decided to go D.C. Linn’s prices are crazy so found the Mober. Very happy with it. Much quieter motor than the A.C. Went with Theo Stack for the cross brace and top plate. I think his bonded system works extremely well in terms of vibration damping. Went with Solid Sounds for the plinth. He is a talented chippy at reasonable prices. Like yourself, kept the Aro! Nothing touches it when set up correctly (see Mark Dunn’s advice on the Naim forum). Enjoy the journey!

Hi,

No, the Valhalla uses the same 50Hz pulley on U.S. LP12s. It takes 60Hz 120V and synthesizes it to the 50Hz 85V AC required to drive the LP12 motor. It's just a matter of changing the fuse to the proper slot, and no pulley change required.

We).
Really? That's a bit of engineering when you have a synchronous motor. How does it work?

Hiya! There is a school of thought that says match Linn/Naim arms with their power supplies, so it you're using an Aro, maybe the Armageddon is the one to go for: Art Dudley did a review that effect a few years ago.

FXR on mine here at the moment - VERY good but I sold my ARO within (a very few) hours of spending a while properly setting up a GH228 Export. I have yet to go back to the Hadcock to compare FXR to GH228. I am betting on the GH228 though.

I am certain that numerous tonearms will beat an ARO on an LP12, but I have time, nor patience, nor money to canvas the rest.

The FATAL error with HiFi is to not let your ears do the deciding. My sticking to an ARO was due to received wisdom, nothing more.

FXR on mine here at the moment - VERY good but I sold my ARO within hours of spending a while properly setting up a GH228 Export. I have yet to go back to the Hadcock to compare FXR to GH228. I am betting on the GH228 though.

I am certain that numerous tonearms will beat an ARO on an LP12, but I have time, nor patience, nor money to canvas the rest.

The FATAL error with HiFi is to not let your ears do the deciding. My sticking to an ARO was due to received wisdom, nothing more.
Interesting. Never heard the FXR, so can’t comment. I have spent time with the 228 but much preferred the Aro. Each to their own.

ARO v GH228 - VERY, very lean bass with the ARO. I like bass.

Cart' dependent???????? Changes of tonearm here have been with a Delos.

Given your LP12 already has a Keel and ARO (excellent arm!) I'd hold off on the upgrade and, minimally, get a Lingo2/3. Better still the Lingo 4 and up, although they are quite a bit more expensive. The Valhalla/Hercules is definitely the system's limiting component right now.

ARO v GH228 - VERY, very lean bass with the ARO. I like bass.

Cart' dependent???????? Changes of tonearm here have been with a Delos.
Sounds like you had a dud ARO or an air-pocket in the bearing. I've had Lyra Clavis DC, Lyra Kleos, Ortofon 2M Bronze and now Hana ML. None of those combos could be considered bass-lite when compared directly with CD.

What bothers me is that those DC motors are always cheap units encapsulated in a fancy dress.
They are usually available bare at less than € 20 apiece.

Whilst I realise you have just aquired a Cirkus I would seriously consider the Karousel it is a massive improvement.

If still available the Funk Firm DC motor and power supply is very good, I enjoyed one until I got Radikalised.

Good luck.

Lots of helpful and interesting advice, I think I'm going to have to go and listen to the Karousel to get an idea of its improvements - it must be good as thats how I got the circus bearing (from someone who had upgraded).
The keel is dedicated to the aro, so that will be a keeper for now (I've had a couple of aro's and like their sound).
Regards a Hadcock 228 being better, I'm not too sure about that (I've got one) and its seems to be held together with friction and a bit of hope. It can sound good but is a right fiddle.
There are so many variables with the Linn and so many opinions as to the best upgrades.
I'll probably stick with the Valhalla for the moment and just enjoy the music for a while...but I know there will be thoughts of upgrades.
I'll do a bit more research and see what I can come up with.
Thanks for all the input chaps:)

Lingo 2, here. Purchased 2nd hand from a dealer, and installed by them as part of getting the LP12 serviced. I have loads of 45’s, especially 12” stuff from the 80’s.

Vinny do you have full range speakers? The reason I ask is that ynwoan of this parish has an aro on his deck, with troika, paradise, ns1000m and a sub and there's no lack of bass, on the contrary his FR in room is very flat sub 100hz. When I've taken a dac over there it hasn't been too bass with the dac, so its not like its tipped up to make for Aro shortcomings.

Lots of helpful and interesting advice, I think I'm going to have to go and listen to the Karousel to get an idea of its improvements - it must be good as thats how I got the circus bearing (from someone who had upgraded).
The keel is dedicated to the aro, so that will be a keeper for now (I've had a couple of aro's and like their sound).
Regards a Hadcock 228 being better, I'm not too sure about that (I've got one) and its seems to be held together with friction and a bit of hope. It can sound good but is a right fiddle.
There are so many variables with the Linn and so many opinions as to the best upgrades.
I'll probably stick with the Valhalla for the moment and just enjoy the music for a while...but I know there will be thoughts of upgrades.
I'll do a bit more research and see what I can come up with.
Thanks for all the input chaps:)
Not sure you can fit the Karousel to a Valhalla deck.

advertisement

Back