advertisement

What do you use to clean the stylus of your turntable?

In a word, static. Some records are a nightmare to get out of the sleeve and static attracts dust like dog shit attracts flies. It can affect the tracking weight too.

Any fan of records who does not use anti-static sleeves, is no fan of records.

(Static) Affects tracking weight? I'd love to see the science and maths behind that.

I repeat - I do NOT wet clean anything except second-hand records, I use a carbon fibre brush, I use ant-stat sleeves, as I have done for WELL over 30 years, and have no problems at all with static once the record has been out of the sleeve once.

Getting a record out that first time can be quite some struggle given that I touch only the edge and labels of records, but that will be the last time that that record gives me static problems.

You can repeat and use block capitals (shouting) but I understood what you wrote the first time. Maybe you could have increased the font size too?

I was just pointing out that static is what most people are removing when when wet cleaning new records.

Many new records are sleeved in a cardboard inner. I would not play one of those without wet-cleaning it first, even if I could be more relaxed about those that have a plastic or plastic lined sleeve. But as it is my time to waste as I see fit, I often batch up new purchases and wet clean them all at the same time.

I was just pointing out that static is what most people are removing when when wet cleaning new records.

True, and not only new records. This is a bonus by-product of wet-vac cleaning. I had a Pixall anti-static gun once (before my RCM) and it worked, time consuming though the process was. However, put that record back in its sleeve and then take it out at a later stage and the static reappears to varying extents. I s'pose the environment, ambient temperature/climate, earthing and even deck etc. can have an effect.

However, put that record back in its sleeve and then take it out at a later stage and the static reappears to varying extents. I s'pose the environment, ambient temperature/climate, earthing and even deck etc. can have an effect.

Only in very slight part - look up triboelectric charging (Wiki is your friend) - the phenomenon that is the source of static.
Also note that triboelectric charging is achieved via intimate contact - stop that and stop charging/static. Hence anti-stat record sleeves are matt/rough, so they essentially never touch the record.

That's what I have. Yes, it does work but I'm afraid to use it on my expensive coils. I seem to be the only one here who is concerned about pulling the cantilever away from its normal trajectory.
You only need to lower the arm using the lift / lower leaver , just so the stylus sits on the pad then lift it way , only 1.8 grams of weight same as on the record surface , No harm has come to my Shelter 5000 in several years of use

I’ve used most of the already mentioned methods. I now use a Project wet vacuum record cleaner ( which gives superb results) along with a new anti-static sleeve for every record I clean.
I have an anti static carbon fibre record brush, usually a couple of revolutions, & the AT637 after a long listening session, & a small Ortofon carbon fibre stylus brush after every few sides. I have the Lyra SPT fluid but tend to put a drop on the 637 prior to use rather than brush it directly onto the stylus.
I guess we all have different opinions & methods, & after a few years just settle on something that we feel works for us.

You only need to lower the arm using the lift / lower lever ,

Suggest you read my posts again as you've got the wrong end of the stick (or lever? :)) It's removing the cantilever from the gel which bothers me. This stresses it away from its intended trajectory. What possible harm could come from lowering carefully?

Well, yes, but surprised you need to pay attention to your stylus so often with your wet-vac regime.
Maybe I don’t need to pay that much attention.
But I guess it’s just a habit I’ve got into. A quick sweep of the record Before playing, a couple of swipes with the stylus brush every couple of records & the AT 637 at the end of a days listening, or once a week or so if I only get to listen an hour or two a day. Don’t think it’s that’s excessive, but you may have a point & maybe I could cut back a bit!

Vinyl Passion Dust Buster.. sits to side of platter for a quick dip before lowering into the groove..

Nice disconcerting audible fwaaap through speakers when needles is retracted from the goop, but I presume/hope Vinyl Passion have roughly evaluated the risk and concluded minimal, otherwise they would spending wads on legal defence fees...?

The theory behind the cleaning technique seems to add up.. don't know if I would trust it on something valuable!

Vinyl passion dust buster on one of my matching hardwood lifters. Sits at the same height as the vinyl so makes regular cleaning a cinch.

advertisement

Back