advertisement

Sonic Youth , any love for them on here?

fegs

pfm Member
Sonic Youth, possibly my fave band of all time, not everyone's cup of tea I know
The first album of theirs I heard, then bought was Bad Moon Rising which was in '85, a mate of mine put me on to this particular gem, and it's one that's always never far from the turntable so to speak.
The next album tour which was EVOL was my first live experience of SY, this was Nottingham Garage in '86, my mates band supported them and it was a top gig!
Sister album followed in '87 and I got to see the at Nottingham Mardis Gras club on that tour, that was another amazing gig which I'll never forget, Firehose supported (Mike Watt of The Minutemen).

And so began my love of Sonic Youth, I've bought every album and seen them live many times over the years and was gutted when they split in 2011

I won't pretend I'm a fan of everything they've done and as far as recordings go they've made a couple of not so great albums, but I think they had a true return to form with the last few albums being up there with their best work
I prefer the pre David Geffen label stuff with Bad Moon Rising, Evol, Sister and Daydream Nation being in my opinion their best albums.

Anyone else a fan ?

A fan of Peelie, how could I not be, to some extent. To be honest they seldom reach the TT these days and I have only Goo and Daydream Nation.

What should I add to the paltry two?

Evol, Sister, Daydream Nation, Goo and Dirty here. I saw them on the Daydream Nation tour at the Royal Court Liverpool and they were superb. One of the truly great and innovative bands of the ‘80s IMHO.

PS Firehose were an amazing band too, Ragin’ Full On is a real favourite of mine.

A fan of Peelie, how could I not be, to some extent. To be honest they seldom reach the TT these days and I have only Goo and Daydream Nation.

What should I add to the paltry two?

Have a listen to Evol, Sister and Rather Ripped

I think Sister's my fave, it's as much to do with the time and place and where I was living as much as anything

It's a great album but also evokes fond memories for me

Evol, Sister, Daydream Nation, Goo and Dirty here. I saw them on the Daydream Nation tour at the Royal Court Liverpool and they were superb. One of the truly great and innovative bands of the ‘80s IMHO.

PS Firehose were an amazing band too, Ragin’ Full On is a real favourite of mine.

can't argue with much of that Tony

I've been into them since I heard Goo. I had a load of copied albums at one point and decided to do the right thing... I went into Avalanche Records (Edinburgh, a few years ago now) and bought every Sonic Youth album they had on CD, the guy on the counter just nodded his approval and said "good choice". I've since bought them all again on vinyl.

Saw them in Glasgow on the Daydream Nation tour. Brilliant, and I had a great view. The 'encore' was about half their new album at the time (Rather Ripped I think).

A great band. Their Peel session is fun too (if you also like The Fall).

Correction: I mean the tour when they played Daydream Nation in its entirety, 2007.

Last edited:
I’m a big fan of Nirvana so can’t ignore Sonic Youth (although I don’t like to compare bands) but found out over time I prefer Nirvana when listening at home and Sonic Youth live is a event you can’t forget !
Difficult to see any of the two live at the moment..........even more true for Nirvana !
Went to a show of the Foo Fighters with ex drummer of Nirvana but was okay, not super amazing for me just like Nirvana was.

First Sonic Youth I heard was the stuff on the South Bank Show. This is IMHO one of their best performances

I was disappointed with the version on Daydream Nation but luckily it got issued on a 7" EP from Sounds.

I had the 'All Fall Down' bootleg for ages but must have sold it. Had 'Sonic Death' but couldn't get into it. The only Sonic Youth recordings I have now are the 'Death Valley 69' 12" the "Screaming Fields Of Sonic Love" CD and 'Goo'. Never really found any other albums I enjoyed all the way through.

I was more of a Butthole Surfers fan when Sonic Youth first made it in the UK.

I remember the South Bank show thing, I taped it on VHS. Just found it on YouTube here, will watch again tomorrow!

I've become very slightly less obsessive but I'm still a bit of a Sonic Youth nerd. It's the only band I have dedicated shelves for with a few hundred LPs and CDs including solo releases etc. I think I saw them about a dozen times from the Goo tour onwards until their last London gig - New Years Eve 2010 with Shellac and The Pop Group supporting. I've seen Thurston Moore play a *lot* since he moved to London.

They've recently started putting up lots of interesting live, rare or unreleased stuff up on Bandcamp.
https://sonicyouth.bandcamp.com/
https://sonicyoutharchive.bandcamp.com/

If you're going to own one fIREHOSE LP, this is the one to own. Ragin' Full On still sounds quite like nothing else, with great songwriting and monstrous musicianship. Their debut from 1986, and their finest IMO.

If you're going to own one fIREHOSE LP, this is the one to own. Ragin' Full On still sounds quite like nothing else, with great songwriting and monstrous musicianship. Their debut from 1986, and their finest IMO.

It is the strongest of the three I own (the others being If’n and Fromohio), though all are excellent and great sounding records too. So many of those SST label recordings are just so live and dynamic sounding, I assume they were pretty much live in the studio with just a couple of later overdubs. Minutemen’s Double Nickel On The Dime being another spectacular example. That band could really play in either form. I bought them when they came out on US import so I have great pressings of them all.

I thinned out my collection a fair bit. It took me a while to track down the Made in the USA film soundtrack but then I never listened to it, same with some of the SYR releases (although I only heard a handful).

Recently I've been enjoying their debut (EP I think technically) although it's not where I'd start with their discography.

I bought an 'audiophile pressing' of The Eternal when it came out; it sounded rubbish on everything I played it on so I never got into that album.

It is the strongest of the three I own (the others being If’n and Fromohio), though all are excellent and great sounding records too. So many of those SST label recordings are just so live and dynamic sounding, I assume they were pretty much live in the studio with just a couple of later overdubs. Minutemen’s Double Nickel On The Dime being another spectacular example. That band could really play in either form. I bought them when they came out on US import so I have great pressings of them all.
I have If'n and always thought the drum kit just had an SM57 hanging over it, nothing else.

Sonic Youth, possibly my fave band of all time, not everyone's cup of tea I know
The first album of theirs I heard, then bought was Bad Moon Rising which was in '85, a mate of mine put me on to this particular gem, and it's one that's always never far from the turntable so to speak.
The next album tour which was EVOL was my first live experience of SY, this was Nottingham Garage in '86, my mates band supported them and it was a top gig!
Sister album followed in '87 and I got to see the at Nottingham Mardis Gras club on that tour, that was another amazing gig which I'll never forget, Firehose supported (Mike Watt of The Minutemen).

And so began my love of Sonic Youth, I've bought every album and seen them live many times over the years and was gutted when they split in 2011

I won't pretend I'm a fan of everything they've done and as far as recordings go they've made a couple of not so great albums, but I think they had a true return to form with the last few albums being up there with their best work
I prefer the pre David Geffen label stuff with Bad Moon Rising, Evol, Sister and Daydream Nation being in my opinion their best albums.

Anyone else a fan ?
Daydream Nation for me and saw them at Reading in erm 91? Last 5 minutes was just fvcking about, smashing his guitar up slowly, I recall. It was still making noises as he walked off. That kind of thing is not for me.

Saw them in Glasgow on the Daydream Nation tour
Correction: I mean the tour when they played Daydream Nation in its entirety, 2007.

If you haven't seen it, I really recommend the film shot at the Glasgow gigs. I saw the screening at the Dalston Rio last year and the sound was GREAT!

advertisement

Back