advertisement

Linn LP12 power supply advice

Ducatiist

pfm Member
I've recently been playing the upgrade game with an LP12 I've put together and now think there is a weak point in the form of the Valhalla power supply.
Ive sourced a Keel for an Aro, an almost new circus bearing and a Tiger Paw Khan.
I'm not sure where to go with the power supply now?
I quite fancy the Hercules 2 for its ability to play 45 rpm (I have a few 45rpm albums and singles).
I also quite fancy the Naim Armageddon, but thats another box and hasn't the 45 rpm facility (as far as I'm aware).
I also have a Nottingham Analogue wave mechanic knocking about and was wondering if this would work with/improve the Valhalla?
Any advice would be most welcome from those in the know about the LP12.
Many thanks:)

I went from Valhalla to Hercules to sticking the Hercules in a MOSE external enclosure. My aural memory is not good enough that I could detect a difference between each configuration as it was made and of course an A/B of identical decks / arms / carts was not possible. But the MOSE is well made and having 45 rpm is a major advantage over the Valhalla.

Still if you think the PSU is the weak point, then going to a DC motor might be the best upgrade.

Can you diy? If so a diy Geddon is easy and sounds better than a Valhalla. Sounds as good as an Armageddon, in fact. Cost £60 plus a case.

Can you diy? If so a diy Geddon is easy and sounds better than a Valhalla. Sounds as good as an Armageddon, in fact. Cost £60 plus a case.

That's what I would do. Back in the day the generally accepted pecking order among the people I knew who'd tried them seemed to be:

Norton Air Power
Naim Armageddon
Avondale TAPS

Any are are better than the Valhalla in my opinion.

IIRC, Valhalla -> Geddon works in the UK but not US unless you change out the motor and/or pulley.

I've recently been playing the upgrade game with an LP12 I've put together and now think there is a weak point in the form of the Valhalla power supply.
Ive sourced a Keel for an Aro, an almost new circus bearing and a Tiger Paw Khan.
I'm not sure where to go with the power supply now?
I quite fancy the Hercules 2 for its ability to play 45 rpm (I have a few 45rpm albums and singles).
I also quite fancy the Naim Armageddon, but thats another box and hasn't the 45 rpm facility (as far as I'm aware).
I also have a Nottingham Analogue wave mechanic knocking about and was wondering if this would work with/improve the Valhalla?
Any advice would be most welcome from those in the know about the LP12.
Many thanks:)
Mober D.C. but does mean another box.

I went from Valhalla to Hercules to sticking the Hercules in a MOSE external enclosure. My aural memory is not good enough that I could detect a difference between each configuration as it was made and of course an A/B of identical decks / arms / carts was not possible. But the MOSE is well made and having 45 rpm is a major advantage over the Valhalla.

Still if you think the PSU is the weak point, then going to a DC motor might be the best upgrade.
I’ve studied both and frankly there is very little difference. The Hercules is just another Valhalla.
I chose the old Linn supply that I just freshened up with new components.
But for someone who isn’t into DIY electronics the Hercules is welcome of course.
The Armageddon is a scam. There is nothing inside the box. I wonder how Naim got away with it.

IIRC, Valhalla -> Geddon works in the UK but not US unless you change out the motor and/or pulley.
The OP is in the UK, I think k. It's a UK biased forum, those posting from elsewhere generally say so, especially when talking about power supply.

The US (60Hz) needs a different pulley for all Linn PSUs before Lingo, I think. Certainly for Basik. I think the Valhalla is also a supply where the speed is dictated by frequency so it needs the 60 Hz pulley.

The Arma would need a different tr a nsformer for the USA, the actual motor windings need 110V, iirc, so the transformer has less stepping down to do. No problem for diy though, just specify it accordingly.

Quite a mix of components from different manufacturers and time periods. I think you will need a following wind for this to really demonstrate what a Sondek can offer, although I suspect it will at least sound ok. May the (tracking) force be with you.

I find the Herc 2 great, not really a step up from Valhalla but the 45 makes a difference.

I’d like to try Mose.

Thanks for all the input chaps, I think I'm going to sidestep the Armageddon (I am in the UK).
I'm fairly happy with the Valhalla, but quite fancied the idea of 45 rpm at the touch of a switch (I've got the extra pulley and longer belt for 45 rpm).
Most of the LP12 is reasonably modern - the majority is around 2018 (corner braced plinth) except for the Aro and Valhalla (the Valhalla has had a couple of upgrades like 450v caps).
Looks like a Lingo might be the next upgrade option, but might have to wait to save up a bit for that.
I'll look into the supplies mentioned by "Mr Pig" and maybe the Mose and Mober DC too.
As always a wealth of opinion and knowledge.
Cheers

Having foolishly lived with an ARO for 3 years or so, I would suggest that a tonearm change might be a far larger upgrade than any power supply.

I think the Valhalla is also a supply where the speed is dictated by frequency so it needs the 60 Hz pulley.

Hi,

No, the Valhalla uses the same 50Hz pulley on U.S. LP12s. It takes 60Hz 120V and synthesizes it to the 50Hz 85V AC required to drive the LP12 motor. It's just a matter of changing the fuse to the proper slot, and no pulley change required.

On the other hand if you own a U.S. Majik LP12 and plan to upgrade to a Valhalla or Lingo 1-3 then you will need the 50Hz pulley since the Majik LP12 uses a 60Hz pulley (smaller).

advertisement

Back