advertisement

2.5mm vs 4mm speaker cable

I have some 16mm csa wire for speaker cable, rated at 90A continuous and needs a blowtorch to solder the connectors on, why I heard you ask, I found a part reel in a skip.
It replaced Naca5 and is far superior, Naca5 sounds like a band pass filter compared to it.

Go thick or go homr!

Pete

How does it sound, booja? I have the 4mm2 equivalent but not used. Bit worried about compatability with Naim.
Yeah, if it's old Naim then probably not good since you need the minimum lengths of the right wire (K20 or NACA), the kind with the space between the conductors.

But for most other uses the DSCk sounds great, like any properly sized copper wire should! If that's not a good answer then there are thousands of positive reviews of the stuff that probably describe it better than I do. :)

Fork rather than spade?

Forks always make me nervous - I am always in fear that they will come adrift and short.

I'd be happier with bare wire into a through hole in the terminal. Shame that no binding post clamp (that I have come across), comes off completely so that you can use an eyelet.
No hole through these binding posts. I think they were designed with spades in mind.

I think reading between the lines, your question is really 'i want a thinner 4mm speaker cable that is very flexible'. I'm using Sommer Meridian cable, and it' reasonably thin, and very flexible, and best of all, cheap.

https://www.studiospares.com/sommer-meridian-24mm-black-speaker-cable-per-m_546415.htm

And when I say flexible, I mean very flexible, and it stays where you put it (doesn't seem to really want to spring back to the extent that a long run can look wobbly rather than straight if you know what I mean). I think the diameter is 9mm.

PXL_20201015_064157590 by Cesare Ferrari, on Flickr

I use spades on the speaker end and 50A Anderson connectors at the amps, it helps if you build the amps yourself.

Pete

The optimum speaker cable length is the one that gets your turntable as far from the speakers as possible whilst leaving enough slack at each end that the banana plugs aren’t subject to any stress.

I would also suggest using equal lengths for left and right.

The optimum speaker cable length is the one that gets your turntable as far from the speakers as possible .............

I've always ignored it, but was always led to believe that long ICs and short speaker cables were best - amp's near speakers.

All this talk of spade connectors - I have never seen a speaker, or any other HiFi signal cable, terminal that accepts spades. Surely people mean fork connectors?

Another vote for Sommer - professional/stage kit.

All this talk of spade connectors - I have never seen a speaker, or any other HiFi signal cable, terminal that accepts spades. Surely people mean fork connectors?

I think the connectors are called spades, even though they look more like forks. Some have a hole in the middle rather than open ends, but still they are called spades.

Spade connectors come as a blade (which is the shape of a spade) and receptacle - male and female. VERY common connector type, especially on cars and for mains connections inside machine cabinets, including audio equipment. They are essentially self-locking, or at least do not fall apart once assembled.

A fork connector, is two-pronged fork shaped connector that has to be clamped into position. There is only one version, a bit like an eyelet with a section cut out from the actual eyelet - a common rough and ready way to make a fork connector.

Spade connectors come as a blade (which is the shape of a spade) and receptacle - male and female. VERY common connector type, especially on cars and for mains connections inside machine cabinets, including audio equipment. They are essentially self-locking, or at least do not fall apart once assembled.

A fork connector, is two-pronged fork shaped connector that has to be clamped into position. There is only one version, a bit like an eyelet with a section cut out from the actual eyelet - a common rough and ready way to make a fork connector.

Yes, I know this, but they are just referred to as spade connectors. Here's digikey's 'spade connectors':

https://www.digikey.co.uk/products/en/connectors-interconnects/terminals-spade-connectors/391

I'm not saying it makes sense, i'm just saying that's what manufacturers and the distribution channels refer to as spade connectors

Vinny cardas make a screw off speaker post, not eyelet suitable though posts are too close.

advertisement

Back