advertisement

BBC best albums of the 80's poll results

I must have always been one then! Same age as you, just much better taste as I hated bleeping noises over a programmed beat as much when it came out as I do now:D

The thing I don’t get with you is you claim to like Human League, Heaven 17 etc. What about Kraftwerk & Tangerine Dream? Brian Eno? The ambient sides of Low & Heroes? To my mind techno, IDM etc is just the logical conclusion of that trajectory taking what went before but blending it with modern classical approaches such as Reich, Glass, Riley etc. It really is an anything goes zone. As with any genre there is a simply massive scope and range, but I’m sure if you actually gave it a chance you’d find some truly amazing stuff.

As an example I bet you’d actually like that if you gave it a chance.

This too.

“You can’t go through life saying “I hate mustard” because that is shutting off the possibility of change.”
― Alexander McCall Smith

Very underrated band - if you're a fan of Husker Du or SST bands, they're worth checking out.

As are the early Soul Asylum albums which are splendid. Let it Be by The Replacements should be on any list of great albums of the 80's. Goddammit it, has anyone mentioned 'Double Nickels on the dime' by Minutemen?

Yer know, whilst not entirely on topic, it occurred to me that rock and roll, Rock etc, the good stuff that became named "dated", "staid", "dad rock" etc by those with poor taste, was only around for about 25 years. I'm taking 1960 as year zero and around 1985 as the year the music died.... ie when the likes of SAW and idiots with an RB303 took over...
BUT the shite that is techno, "R&B", EDM has now been around for 35 years!!! Way over due to be youth-anised!

OK. Derailing the thread a bit but I have to try this. Arkless, I wonder what your definition of 'techno' actually is? It doesn't have to be devoid of melody. This is one of my all-time favourite tracks ever:

And there's also this:

Lastly, this from the genius that is Carl Craig. I will have this track played at my funeral:

All these are infused with melody and soul. All could be described as techno. All classics.

Like this? :)

Yes! And Hawkwind, Ozric Tentacles, Magic Mushroom Band, Here and Now, PiL, Motorhead, Chumbawumba plus loads of Dub and and a fair bit of punk and a bit of the likes of The Pogues and even James Brown and George Clinton etc. This being the general soundtrack of life on the road etc for me but not specifically my own choice, though I do like much of it. Even when not at a festival there were vying sound systems around site. There was a few who were getting into the techno etc, mainly the ones who were into their powders a bit too much, but they were outliers on the scene then. There was getting to be a growing rave/techno crowd that would turn up to illegal festivals and sometimes set up there own rave tent, townies/part timers/weekend warriors mainly and usually from the nearest urban area.

The thing I don’t get with you is you claim to like Human League, Heaven 17 etc. What about Kraftwerk & Tangerine Dream? Brian Eno? The ambient sides of Low & Heroes? To my mind techno, IDM etc is just the logical conclusion of that trajectory taking what went before but blending it with modern classical approaches such as Reich, Glass, Riley etc. It really is an anything goes zone. As with any genre there is a simply massive scope and range, but I’m sure if you actually gave it a chance you’d find some truly amazing stuff.

As an example I bet you’d actually like that if you gave it a chance.

This too.

"Claim"? I love Human League, Heaven 17 etc! Kraftwerk less so but still very good, Eno... some of it "Here come the warm jets" a fave, "The ambient sides of Low & Heroes" = my least favourite Bowie... tolerable I guess.

As I keep saying the most important things to me are tune, tune and tune! In many ways I guess that the music I regard as the ultimate in song writing and tune would have to be "The great American songbook".

Ill not listen to those tracks as there are at least some things in most genres that at least some merit and I guess you will chosen carefully some that you think I may like... and you will likely be right.. but finding the 5% of a genre that someone may like does not a fan make! I've been known to wig out to Underworld and think it's amazing but only in the right mood...

When I've been unfortunate enough to be exposed to things with "Ibiza" and "Creamfields" on the box it's about the worst shite I've ever heard I'm afraid! People give it "oh this next one! Tune!" and I'm thinking "has it not all been one track for what seems like the last 5 hours!?? It all sounds the same"

Now for the record (ha!) Even I can appreciate that if one is utterly out of ones tree on E and wizz plus maybe half a bottle of vodka and redbull and the sound system has 30 15" woofers in scoop cabs and mega horns plus 10KW behind it and so loud it messes with your breathing that it is completely "otherworldly", the sheer power takes over like another drug that adds to the energy and the vibe and yes just a beat, a groove can be all you need or even makes sense at the time... "the trance of the tribal beat" and all that...
But to listen to it sober? at normal volumes on your own in your living room or in the car? As music? No way Jose! It isn't even music as such under those more normal conditions! Techno! Techno! Techno! No no no no no no no there's no lyrics.... Aceeeeeed! Nah you can keep it;):eek:

"Claim"? I love Human League, Heaven 17 etc! Kraftwerk less so but still very good, Eno... some of it "Here come the warm jets" a fave, "The ambient sides of Low & Heroes" = my least favourite Bowie... tolerable I guess.

As I keep saying the most important things to me are tune, tune and tune! In many ways I guess that the music I regard as the ultimate in song writing and tune would have to be "The great American songbook".

Ill not listen to those tracks as there are at least some things in most genres that at least some merit and I guess you will chosen carefully some that you think I may like... and you will likely be right.. but finding the 5% of a genre that someone may like does not a fan make! I've been known to wig out to Underworld and think it's amazing but only in the right mood...

When I've been unfortunate enough to be exposed to things with "Ibiza" and "Creamfields" on the box it's about the worst shite I've ever heard I'm afraid! People give it "oh this next one! Tune!" and I'm thinking "has it not all been one track for what seems like the last 5 hours!?? It all sounds the same"

Now for the record (ha!) Even I can appreciate that if one is utterly out of ones tree on E and wizz plus maybe half a bottle of vodka and redbull and the sound system has 30 15" woofers in scoop cabs and mega horns plus 10KW behind it and so loud it messes with your breathing that it is completely "otherworldly", the sheer power takes over like another drug that adds to the energy and the vibe and yes just a beat, a groove can be all you need or even makes sense at the time... "the trance of the tribal beat" and all that...
But to listen to it sober? at normal volumes on your own in your living room or in the car? As music? No way Jose! It isn't even music as such under those more normal conditions! Techno! Techno! Techno! No no no no no no no there's no lyrics.... Aceeeeeed! Nah you can keep it;):eek:

Have you listened to my three suggestions Jez?

Ill not listen to those tracks as there are at least some things in most genres that at least some merit and I guess you will chosen carefully some that you think I may like...

Disco Sucks! Burn Beatles albums! Closed minds for all! Dad-rock Taliban!

PS/edit: On reflection ‘Dad-rock Taliban’ is the best band name ever!

Have you listened to my three suggestions Jez?

No. I don't particularly like country or opera but I can think of specific songs/sub genres that I think are superb... it doesn't mean I've changed my mind about the genres!

Not sure if it's a forum thing or an us men thing but you can never make a broad statement about anything without someone trying to catch you out with the 1 in 1000 example that supposedly proves you wrong about the other 999!!
And I'm probably as guilty as anyone else!

FWIW I was trying to point you to something I think you’ll love. Shpongle (first link) are the logical continuation of crusty stoner rock fused with electronica, and are truly virtuosic musicians.

No. I don't particularly like country or opera but I can think of specific songs/sub genres that I think are superb... it doesn't mean I've changed my mind about the genres!

Not sure if it's a forum thing or an us men thing but you can never make a broad statement about anything without someone trying to catch you out with the 1 in 1000 example that supposedly proves you wrong about the other 999!!
And I'm probably as guilty as anyone else!

Nope. There's plenty more where that came from. I'm genuinely interested to see what you think.

FWIW I was trying to point you to something I think you’ll love. Shpongle (first link) are the logical continuation of crusty stoner rock fused with electronica, and are truly virtuosic musicians.

I quite like Shpongle but fail to see much link between them and the mainstream of ibiza etc techno that I so despise.

I quite like Shpongle but fail to see much link between them and the mainstream of ibiza etc techno that I so despise.

Like all genres it is huge once you get to understand it, it’s the equivalent of writing Sufjan Stevens, Lambchop or Giant Sand off because you don’t like Dolly Parton, Jim Reeves or whatever. I can’t think of a single genre I’d ever write off entirely, I can always find something I like and it almost always opens doors to other things.

Like all genres it is huge once you get to understand it, it’s the equivalent of writing Sufjan Stevens, Lambchop or Giant Sand off because you don’t like Dolly Parton, Jim Reeves or whatever. I can’t think of a single genre I’d ever write off entirely, I can always find something I like and it almost always opens doors to other things.

give it up, he will not consider even giving it an ear, waste of fckgni time

advertisement

Back