advertisement

BBC best albums of the 80's poll results

Here's a selection by the editors of Rolling Stone.
Lot's of stuff I remember playing to on the radio, not particularly good stuff in my opinion. Poor choices?
To be honest I don't like synth pop nor rap nor metal, not sure about funk from the '80s either.

100 Best Albums of the Eighties From synth pop and rap to metal and funk
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...-150477/culture-club-colour-by-numbers-55659/

It's a bit safe but some classics in there all the same.

Lot's of stuff I remember playing to on the radio, not particularly good stuff in my opinion. Poor choices?
To be honest I don't like synth pop nor rap nor metal, not sure about funk from the '80s either.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...-150477/culture-club-colour-by-numbers-55659/

Three Price albums in their top 20! And one by a group I've never heard of "The Replacements". The Clash "London Calling" number 1? What were they thinking....

Yer know, whilst not entirely on topic, it occurred to me that rock and roll, Rock etc, the good stuff that became named "dated", "staid", "dad rock" etc by those with poor taste, was only around for about 25 years. I'm taking 1960 as year zero and around 1985 as the year the music died.... ie when the likes of SAW and idiots with an RB303 took over...
BUT the shite that is techno, "R&B", EDM has now been around for 35 years!!! Way over due to be youth-anised!

I can't get the page to load properly, but any list that has Tracey bloody Chapman in the top ten is fundamentally flawed. Is there any Fall in there?

I can't get the page to load properly, but any list that has Tracey bloody Chapman in the top ten is fundamentally flawed. Is there any Fall in there?

No. It's mostly rubbish in fact.

I do like Tracy Chapman, even if she's a bit of a zombie on stage.
I have a thing for protest music...
Not top 10 material though.

Three Price albums in their top 20! And one by a group I've never heard of "The Replacements". The Clash "London Calling" number 1? What were they thinking....

It's a really old list, (As a Clash fan) I remember when it came out and London Calling was voted Number One despite being released in 1979!!

Yer know, whilst not entirely on topic, it occurred to me that rock and roll, Rock etc, the good stuff that became named "dated", "staid", "dad rock" etc by those with poor taste, was only around for about 25 years. I'm taking 1960 as year zero

Surely that's arse-about-face? Granted that Bill Haley wasn't really rock 'n roll, Elvis's first number one was in 1956. By 1960, Elvis was in the army, Buddy Holly and Eddie Cochrane were dead, and most rockers had turned to making ballads. The Beatles woke things up again in 1963, and were able to do partly because rock had become tame in previous few years. A similar thing happened in 1977, when the Sex Pistols made everything else sound dated almost overnight.

One record per artist/band...

Bill Nelson Quit Dreaming And Get On The Beam
Blue Nile A Walk Across The Rooftops
Brian Eno and David Byrne My Life In The Bush of Ghosts
Cocteau Twins Treasure
David Sylvian Brilliant Trees
Echo and The Bunnymen Crocodiles
Peter Gabriel Peter Gabriel III
Psychedelic Furs Talk Talk Talk
Simple Minds Empires And Dance
Siouxsie and the Banshees juju
Talk Talk The Colour of Spring
Talking Heads Remain in Light
Teardrop Explodes Wilder
The Associates Sulk
The Beat I Just Can't Stop It
The Chameleons Script of the Bridge
The Cure Disintegration
The Sound From The Lion's Mouth
XTC English Settlement
Young Marble Giants Colossal Youth

Poor Tracy. ‘You got a fast car, and now I’m going to slash my wrists’ my mate Ed used to like singing. I’m sure she’s a cheerful soul really.

She should have teamed up with Wilson Pickett. Then she'd have had a brand-new Mustang, and he'd be the one complaining.

Cocteau Twins Treasure
Teardrop Explodes Wilder
The Associates Sulk
The Cure Disintegration
XTC English Settlement

A bit shoe-gazy....

and idiots with an RB303 took over...

Bloody Rega eh?!

PS I’m amazed you became a miserable old man in 1985! I thought you were my age? I was just 22 then and gigging all over the place, enjoying life right at the heart of the music scene where I lived. I saw so many great bands that later became household names around that time, just so, so much happening. As there is right now (well not gigs thanks to covid, but the music is there, it *always* is).

Yer know, whilst not entirely on topic, it occurred to me that rock and roll, Rock etc, the good stuff that became named "dated", "staid", "dad rock" etc by those with poor taste, was only around for about 25 years. I'm taking 1960 as year zero and around 1985 as the year the music died.... ie when the likes of SAW and idiots with an RB303 took over...
BUT the shite that is techno, "R&B", EDM has now been around for 35 years!!! Way over due to be youth-anised!

I don't know the exact definition of rock but I find that a lot of good music which I consider to be predominatly rock was recorded in the '90s. It may be because I was in my tweenties during that whole decade.
By the '00s onwards my focus narrowed mostly towards Classical music.

I prefer acoustic and electric instruments, I don't like synthesizers or electronics. I don't like pop, dance, ambient...

Bloody Rega eh?!

PS I’m amazed you became a miserable old man in 1985! I thought you were my age? I was just 22 then and gigging all over the place, enjoying life right at the heart of the music scene where I lived. I saw so many great bands that later became household names around that time, just so, so much happening. As there is right now (well not gigs thanks to covid, but the music is there, it *always* is).

R and T next to each other!
I must have always been one then! Same age as you, just much better taste as I hated bleeping noises over a programmed beat as much when it came out as I do now:D Then to at least ten years later I was partying like it's a miracle I'm still alive! Illegal festivals where some of the first rave was being played (we called em cheesy quavers) with new age travellers included. I've even DJ'ed at a rave... for 10 mins or so... for a laugh..

At the end of the day tune, melody, harmony are where its at for me musically. I guess some of the debate on pfm over all this has semi-opened my eyes to the possibility that some peoples taste is SO different to mine that they enjoy something BECAUSE it's a repetitive, monotonous, relentless, thump thump thump with bleeping noises and they are pretty oblivious to whether it has a tune... ie could you whistle it or play it on an acoustic guitar etc? = No but they don't care... To me that's as odd as there being people who breath methane and drink liquid ammonia!

I genuinely feel sorry for you. If I could get back the feeling that just one of those nights raving to house, trance, techno etc. gave me in the late 80s through to the 90s I'd do it in a heartbeat.... nothing before or since has ever made me feel so euphoric. So glad I was born with an open mind.

Cocteau Twins Treasure
Teardrop Explodes Wilder
The Associates Sulk
The Cure Disintegration
XTC English Settlement

Good call on PG, top album, better than So IMO.

I genuinely feel sorry for you. If I could get back the feeling that just one of those nights raving to house, trance, techno etc. gave me in the late 80s through to the 90s I'd do it in a heartbeat.... nothing before or since has ever made me feel so euphoric. So glad I was born with an open mind.

I was doing it probably to far greater extremes than you or most on here! Like I say, it's a miracle I survived! Just to much better music though:D

advertisement

Back