advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know mistakes happen, but this is pretty jaw-dropping:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-54539328

"Used coronavirus swab tests were accidentally given out to households in Birmingham, council officials said.

Birmingham City Council said about 25 kits were given out by mistake in the student area of Selly Oak as part of its "drop-and-collect" service.

It said the error was quickly realised, the kits remained intact and there was no evidence of cross-contamination.

However, student Sophie Dunne, who was given a used kit, said some people opened and used the testing kits."

I know mistakes happen, but this is pretty jaw-dropping:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-54539328

"Used coronavirus swab tests were accidentally given out to households in Birmingham, council officials said.

Birmingham City Council said about 25 kits were given out by mistake in the student area of Selly Oak as part of its "drop-and-collect" service.

It said the error was quickly realised, the kits remained intact and there was no evidence of cross-contamination.

However, student Sophie Dunne, who was given a used kit, said some people opened and used the testing kits."
Grotesque, dangerous incompetence. Used swabs that had never reached a diagnostic lab- so the first user will never get a test result and the ‘second user’ gets exposed to an added health risk.

Grotesque, dangerous incompetence. Used swabs that had never reached a diagnostic lab- so the first user will never get a test result and the ‘second user’ gets exposed to an added health risk.

Unbelievable!

[edited after 10 seconds of thought] - actually, quite believable....

647 new hospitalistations up from 628, 137 deaths down a smidge on yesterday and 19724 new cases. Call it 20k just for Johnson.

I don't know about the UK, but here in Switzy figures are currently going up big time. I mean exponentially. I just hope for you Britons that things remain more or less in control (if they have ever been) so you'll still be able to fight about who in the govt has made what mistake and when. I fear that very soon, we will have other problems to worry about.

I don't know about the UK, but here in Switzy figures are currently going up big time. I mean exponentially. I just hope for you Britons that things remain more or less in control (if they have ever been) so you'll still be able to fight about who in the govt has made what mistake and when. I fear that very soon, we will have other problems to worry about.

The deaths and hospital cases are rising exponentially here too. Stay safe.

Hugely disappointing behaviour in Liverpool, utterly idiotic. It is a wonderful city, but for all the art and culture there has always been a large and thick as pigshit ‘scally’ population.

Sorry Tony, but that is not really specific to Liverpool, it's prevalent across the whole of England, just look at every town centre on a late Saturday night (pre- pandemic I mean).

Yep, but as long as it's all the government's fault.... ;)

Sorry Tony, but that is not really specific to Liverpool, it's prevalent across the whole of England, just look at every town centre on a late Saturday night (pre- pandemic I mean).

Agreed, I just know Liverpool far better than anywhere else. I lived right in the heart of the city for a while (Victoria St near the art gallery, museum, St Georges Hall etc) and used to be kept awake Thurs, Fri and Sat by pissed-up scallies kicking the shit out of each other, beating up their girlfriends, attacking ambulance staff etc. Some humans are just shit. Not all ‘chavs’ either, some clearly in business suits so had been out from work.

The good thing about Liverpool is the areas were well defined; the art, alt, indie, goth & gay areas were all safe, the violent places ironically were the ones with a ‘no jeans or trainers’ dress code, which my lot would never have wanted to go to anyway. The real Liverpool culture, i.e. the one you’ll find in your record collection, hanging in art galleries etc, was great, really friendly and well connected. I very seldom saw any violence in those places, and then only from strangers who had crashed in to cause trouble.

I’m hopelessly out of touch now as Liverpool is much, much larger now with exponentially more bars, clubs etc than in my time, so the old rule of anything below The Swan on Wood St being chavs & tourists aside from The Lisbon (a gay pub where a load of goths etc went as it was safe and scally-free), above and everything upwards, e.g. Cracke, Pilgrim, Ev, Cassa, Magnet etc safe and ‘our art/muso lot’. The proper dance clubs, e.g. G-Love, Voodoo, Cream were safe too as E is a far more mellow and chilled drug than alcohol. It was a great city, and I’m sure others are similar. I kind of got a feel for That London, but it was just too big to read the way one could Liverpool. Even as a rather reclusive and quiet person I could happily go out on my own in Liverpool as I knew I’d inevitably bump into other folk from the music/art scene in certain pubs.

647 new hospitalistations up from 628, 137 deaths down a smidge on yesterday and 19724 new cases. Call it 20k just for Johnson.

Testing capacity does seem to be increasing significantly. What I've not seen on the dashboard is the rate of infection: the proportion of those testing positive to the number of tests.

Agreed, I just know Liverpool far better than anywhere else. I lived right in the heart of the city for a while (Victoria St near the art gallery, museum, St Georges Hall etc) and used to be kept awake Thurs, Fri and Sat by pissed-up scallies kicking the shit out of each other, beating up their girlfriends, attacking ambulance staff etc. Some humans are just shit. Not all ‘chavs’ either, some clearly in business suits so had been out from work.

The good thing about Liverpool is the areas were well defined; the art, alt, indie, goth & gay areas were all safe, the violent places ironically were the ones with a ‘no jeans or trainers’ dress code, which my lot would never have wanted to go to anyway. The real Liverpool culture, i.e. the one you’ll find in your record collection, hanging in art galleries etc, was great, really friendly and well connected. I very seldom saw any violence in those places, and then only from strangers who had crashed in to cause trouble.

I’m hopelessly out of touch now as Liverpool is much, much larger now with exponentially more bars, clubs etc than in my time, so the old rule of anything below The Swan on Wood St being chavs aside from The Lisbon (a gay pub where a load of goths etc went as it was safe and scally-free), above and everything upwards, e.g. Cracke, Pilgrim, Ev, Cassa, Magnet etc safe and ‘our art/muso lot’. The proper dance clubs, e.g. G-Love, Voodoo, Cream were safe too as E is a far more mellow and chilled drug than alcohol. It was a great city, and I’m sure others are similar. I kind of got a feel for That London, but it was just too big to read the way one could Liverpool. Even as a rather reclusive and quiet person I could happily go out on my own in Liverpool as I knew I’d know other folk from the music/art scene in certain pubs.

Pretty much mirrors my experiences, I didn't live there, but worked there and had a lot of friends there so used to go out quite a lot in Liverpool in the late 80s and 90s and had a lot of good times there. Been back a few times since and it has changed, but where hasn't I guess. Sadly as you say some people are just crap people and that is the long, tall and short of it.

Testing capacity does seem to be increasing significantly. What I've not seen on the dashboard is the rate of infection: the proportion of those testing positive to the number of tests.

Just your perception, capacity is climbing slowly though. There were 30k fewer tests processed today than on Saturday but 4.5k more positives today. I'm not going to do the sums for you ;)

You've got to love the scousers :D

121629266_752997925548498_1010833824536528930_n.jpg

Pretty much mirrors my experiences, I didn't live there, but worked there and had a lot of friends there so used to go out quite a lot in Liverpool in the late 80s and 90s and had a lot of good times there. Been back a few times since and it has changed, but where hasn't I guess. Sadly as you say some people are just crap people and that is the long, tall and short of it.

Took my mate there in the late 80s, it was his first time. Some lad came round the pub selling T-shirts and my mate whispered "do you think they're stolen?" Bless!

I'm from round Liverpool, but moved away many years ago. Some time back, I was going to Liverpool for a conference with a work colleague. She was from Yorkshire, and in the days leading up to our visit she was going on about 'thieving Scousers' and how nervous she was about going there. I tried to reassure her that it wasn't as bad as some people said, etc etc. On arriving in Liverpool, crossing the road from Lime Street station, someone nicked her purse.

Beginning to see reports that some of the “consultants” on the Serco Track and Trace programme are being paid £7k per day which equates to £1.5m per year. It might have been worth it if they could get it to work effectively.

Just your perception, capacity is climbing slowly though. There were 30k fewer tests processed today than on Saturday but 4.5k more positives today. I'm not going to do the sums for you ;)

Yes a very significant increase in testing capacity over the past month, which is what you would expect I suppose. I don't understand why there's such a gap between capacity and tests carried out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back