advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this going to be a repeating pattern of surge, 'circuit break', surge, 'circuit break' etc, over this Winter as outlined in one of the many papers released back in March / April? How long before people get genuinely fed up of it all?

To an extent they already are. As a nation we need to start working out how we are all going to live with this long term as it's not going away and while it's absolutely right to support those affected by the virus right now it can't go on forever as I am already uncomfortable with the level of debt we are leaving to the next generations. Lockdowns and restrictions are the right thing to do in the short term, but we need to be realistic and establish a longer term plan in the time we are buying ourselves with the lockdowns etc.

Is this going to be a repeating pattern of surge, 'circuit break', surge, 'circuit break' etc, over this Winter as outlined in one of the many papers released back in March / April? How long before people get genuinely fed up of it all?
We're already there. Many people ignore all the rules, most are now ignoring some. The fact that almost everyone is now taking a Cummings style view of the rules is having a predictable result. Restrictions will slow the advance, but ultimately we are all going to encounter this virus. Whether we catch it remains to be seen. I suspect that I may well have encountered it at work without incident, this week we have had a few more people out because of family infection. It's impossible to know.

I have to have the app for work. I’ve had about five bings so far. Good to see they’ve started to put an explainer, the last one said they’d calculated the risks and I didn’t need to do anything. The first one scared the bejesus out of me. I’m sure living in Rochdale and working in Oldham means it’s inevitable I’ll encounter people with the virus. I am surprised though that it’s been so frequent.

I was writing on here years ago, to the effect that the Tories had.. even back then. concluded that the UK was ****ed. From a 'business' perspective.. it was no longer the Cash Cow it had always been for them.

They had destroyed primary production and manufacturing.. they had impoverished local Govt., they had sold off the family silver and in their terminal meannness had made sure that they did not have a sufficiently well trained workforce or well funded industrial sector to compete on the World stage.

Fast forward a couple of years and they have finally come to the conclusion that a Closing Down Sale, held of course, by themselves.. and for their benefit.. is the only remaining option.

Then along comes Covid, which allows them to not only flog off the remains of the economy, but to even borrow the cash to give to themselves to buy it.

Genius.

I truly hope you are right tq, but the way this virus targets different groups in different ways says something about the way immunity works...and speculation is rife in that area.

At 71 with left ventricular failure and a farked right ventricle..my preferred option is still to avoid the damned thing...

I have every reason to think a vaccine is close at hand, can’t say any more

Why can’t you say more?

Even if you’re right, how effective will it be? Will it be broad range? How long will any affect take to have real effect? Will it be safe after so short a time in development? How fast could it be delivered considering the ineffectiveness of how Government handle these things.

Can you tell us why you think we are about to get a vaccine/s that is/are more effective than any that have come before?

I think this kind of thinking has got us to where we are today. Rather than take the effective action we can do, the Government are awaiting a silver bullet, no doubt promised by the companies that will profit hugely from producing any vaccine and Cummings’ inexpert grasp of how science works.

Like Mull, I hope I’m wrong.

Stephen

I’ve just heard from someone working on one of the trials that the initial results are extremely encouraging regarding prevention of infection from exposure to viral loads - let’s see since once the trials are completed whether scale up production and availability to us all next year might be possible?

I’ve just heard from someone working on one of the trials that the initial results are extremely encouraging regarding prevention of infection from exposure to viral loads - let’s see since once the trials are completed whether scale up production and availability to us all next year might be possible?

Johnstone & Johnstone and Eli Lilley have both just suspended trials because some volunteers have become ill with their vaccines/antibody tests

An Eli Lilly antibody treatment clinical trial for Covid-19 was paused, and Johnson & Johnson paused its vaccine trial, after volunteers fell ill.
Tuesday, October 13, 2020 2:46 PM EST

In large clinical trials, such pauses are not unusual, and illness in volunteers is not necessarily the result of the experimental drug or vaccine. Such halts are meant to allow an independent board of scientific experts to review the data and determine whether the event may have been related to the treatment, or occurred by chance.

Read the latest

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2020/1...s-paused-because-of-potential-safety-concerns

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2020/10/12/world/coronavirus-covid

I was writing on here years ago, to the effect that the Tories had.. even back then. concluded that the UK was ****ed. From a 'business' perspective.. it was no longer the Cash Cow it had always been for them.

They had destroyed primary production and manufacturing.. they had impoverished local Govt., they had sold off the family silver and in their terminal meannness had made sure that they did not have a sufficiently well trained workforce or well funded industrial sector to compete on the World stage.

Fast forward a couple of years and they have finally come to the conclusion that a Closing Down Sale, held of course, by themselves.. and for their benefit.. is the only remaining option.

Then along comes Covid, which allows them to not only flog off the remains of the economy, but to even borrow the cash to give to themselves to buy it.

Genius.

The right have given up any pretence of decency and competence they are following trumps lead and descended into an outright blatant spivocracy, Putin will be proud of them, one day there will be a reckoning.

All clinical trials will be paused if a patient gets ill so they can investigate the cause and see if it is linked to the drug being tested. Often that is not the case and it's nothing unusual to see these pauses in the late stages simply due to the numbers involved by then.

Anyone working in clinical trials for serious illnesses, or a study with huge numbers of patients, will have had a trial paused. Sometimes it’s a problem with the drug, usually it’s a patient developing an issue for another reason that has to be fully investigated before the study continuing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back