advertisement

What is considered the best tonearm for a Michell Gyrodec??

I used a rewired RB300 which was good for the money, then a Michell Technoarm which was better, then an SME IV which was excellent on the Gyro.

Be an idea to give some context, budget, cartridge, music styles you play/prefer.

FWIW I went from a Rega RB300 to Technoarm to SME V (didn’t blow me away) to PU7 (did make me smile so it stayed).

Carts were AT and Dynavector, XX2Mk2 at present.

Start by considering what cartridge you want to use! The arm and cartridge should always be viewed as one ‘thing’, the requirements for say a high compliance MM, Decca, Koetsu and SPU are all totally different. The Gyro will take pretty much any 9” or 10” arm, e.g. anything from an Infinity Black Widow to a FR64S.

I'm using a Benz Glider SL just been retipped in a newly acquired Roksan Nima. I have a thing for unipivots, I don't find rega arms inspiring.
My music tastes are varied across most genre's my favourite arm so far has been a Moerch UP4 but the one I had is on a Garrard 401 that I've given to my Daughter and her newly acquired husband as a wedding present. To be honest it had a hard life by the look of things, still with the Benz has been one of the most musical experiences I have enjoyed.

I use a Moerch UP4 with Zyx Airy 3. The Moerch wipes the floor with the previous Rega and Jelco arms I had.

FWIW I went from a Rega RB300 to Technoarm to SME V (didn’t blow me away) to PU7 (did make me smile so it stayed).

I had a Five on my Orbe for 14 years, so found it interesting that you preferred the (presumably 9") PU7. I changed decks and got a 12" PU7, which I find to be an excellent one for s.q. and ergonomics. I can well imagine the virtues of the PU7 on a Gyro as opposed to the SME.

O.P., if you have a predilection for unipivots, the N.A. range are good, and Jonnie at Audio Origami has a new unipivot out. Worth investigating.

I like the RB300 on a Gyro better than on the other decks I tried it on (a Thorens and a Rega) - it does seem to be a good match. OP already has a Nima, which I thought worked well: the Gyro offers clarity and neutrality, allowing the Nima’s strengths to shine. Bit soft on the attack though. I found a Funk FX-R to be a big step up. Stopped looking after that.

Should notify you all the mods to my Gyro in no particular order and not advertising anything

Pete's Pylons suspension mod

Acrylic armboard

Orbe platter and clamp

Outboard PSU

I don't know of anything else I can do to improve my Gyro but it is rock solid and the bass is as good as my 401 imho

I like the RB300 on a Gyro better than on the other decks I tried it on (a Thorens and a Rega) - it does seem to be a good match. OP already has a Nima, which I thought worked well: the Gyro offers clarity and neutrality, allowing the Nima’s strengths to shine. Bit soft on the attack though. I found a Funk FX-R to be a big step up. Stopped looking after that.

heard the FX-R on an Orbe at Bristol, totally outclassed an SMV-V is was up against

From what I understand the FX-R is based on a rega arm??? Or am I misunderstanding something:rolleyes:
The 1 and 2 use the yoke and (upgraded) bearings, and substitute a very different (non-detachable) wand. No resemblance in terms of sound signature, to my ears.The 3 is all-original.

I’ve heard a fair few, & the Michell Tecnoarm unsurprisingly works extremely well. Mate of mine has one with a Lyra Delos & to me, it just makes music. Bass, detail, imaging, top end, et al, it does it all extremely well. Unless you’re happy to spend considerably more, I’d stick with that.
The SME IV or V would probably be the ultimate arm, but you can’t buy them new anymore.
I’ve got an Orbe with an Ekos (left over from my LP12 days) & I’ve felt no need to change that combo. So I guess there are a wide variety of options that can work. As others have said, think about the arm & cart as a combination rather than 2 separate items.
I’ve also found Michell to be very helpful with tech advice in the past, although under current conditions, I don’t know whether the phone lines are still as well manned.

Michell service is up and running, sorted my HR psu the other week, really quick turnaround and it’s now in a shiny black case to boot.

I’ve heard a fair few, & the Michell Tecnoarm unsurprisingly works extremely well. Mate of mine has one with a Lyra Delos & to me, it just makes music. Bass, detail, imaging, top end, et al, it does it all extremely well. Unless you’re happy to spend considerably more, I’d stick with that.
The SME IV or V would probably be the ultimate arm, but you can’t buy them new anymore.
I’ve got an Orbe with an Ekos (left over from my LP12 days) & I’ve felt no need to change that combo. So I guess there are a wide variety of options that can work. As others have said, think about the arm & cart as a combination rather than 2 separate items.
I’ve also found Michell to be very helpful with tech advice in the past, although under current conditions, I don’t know whether the phone lines are still as well manned.
Under the current conditions a telephone line is the easiest part of any business to maintain.

advertisement

Back