advertisement

How far would you go?

Flew from London to Cape Town to buy a pair of Tannoy Corner GRF's and a pair of Leak 12.1 but had them air freighted back to Blighty. Good excuse for a holiday.
Bt road, badly let down by Shiply who arranged to bring a pair of Lockwoods down from Glasgow, a few days before Christmas. Seller was closing in 2 days for a full month so I left Windsor just before 1am, got back home early afternoon. Around 800 miles.

For my 40th birthday 15 years ago I spent a month in Japan. I'd long wanted to go, for lots of reasons, but two of them were to meet up with Joel of this parish, and with Junji Kimura of 47 Labs, so I could buy a Gaincard from him. Joel arranged it, we met with him, had a few beers in his local Hawaiian themed bar (which used his amps as the sound system), and a month later I returned home with a freshly minted Gaincard in my bag, which I still use today.

A few years ago I sold an amp on eBay. Advertised it as “personal collection only” due to it being a heavy valve amp. Despite this, The guy who bought it lives in St Helena & it took about 2 months to get there via cargo ship!

well I didint travel 1200 miles but in my case it felt like it. I bought a pair of Epos 12i speakers from a guy in north London ( I live in south london). To save postage and also to see them I visited before buying and then paid cash. Now the fun. No car. I had to carry the large heavy box they were in up the road to the rail station and down the stairs to the platform. Then at the other end from the train platoform across the station concourse down to many stairs to the tube ( so many twists and turns in the rabbit warren of London Tubes). Then the other end tube to train station concourse and platform to train. Then other end train station to buses. Then at my bus stop to my flat and up 3 flights of stairs. You beat that mashochism.

I have clocked up plenty of miles of late as my trust in couriers has been completely eroded having lost 3 items in the past 2 months, each time no apology and fight yo get compensation.

So far been able to keep it to a single tank of fuel for each journey that my kind of mental limit haha.

tho to be fair my old car still gives 55mpg

Google "Couriers" folks!

Yep, that's what I used to think until the Supercap I bought from Glasgow and had sent to that remotest of places... London... just never turned up! Then there is the tale of the Hi-Cap that became a phone case when it arrived in Italy. Much safer to collect yourself IMO.

Travelled from London to Auckland, via NYC and San Fran with a Croft Super Micro and a Meridian 203 as carry-on luggage. In those simpler times (1990), they had luggage lockers at airports.

I drove from Glasgow-ish to Cambridgeshire and back in one day to pick up the RP10. There weren't that many used ones coming up so I just did it. Long day but no problem. Also drove down south and stayed overnight to get the Isobariks. Totally worth it.

At Easter five years ago, I drove from Hereford to Middlesbrough to pick up a pair of ATC 20 active towers.

I stoppped in Batley to take my parents for a fish and chip lunch. It was the last time I saw my Mum well. She was diagnosed with lung cancer a few weeks later and by the beginning of July she was dead. It if hadn't been for the speakers, she'd have been in hospital already by the time I saw her again.

The journey back was a nightmare. It seemed as though there was a job lot of road works in and around Birmingham. M5 closed, diversion to next junction, still closed. Ended up going through the city. Hagley Road closed heading out towards Quinton. Diversion. Then a diversion within a diversion ! :rolleyes: By the time I was on the Halesowen Road, I was knackered !

I've shifted a pair of 3 way speakers by motorbike before... only 12 miles ish though...
Since I've moved from the US to Spain I've been blown away by what people fit on a moto or an electric scooter. Bags of cement, milled trim, someone riding shotgun on the scooter with a 4x3 foot antique gilded picture frame around their body. It's really inspiring. Rent a big truck when you need it, don't own one FFS.

Since I've moved from the US to Spain I've been blown away by what people fit on a moto or an electric scooter. Bags of cement, milled trim, someone riding shotgun on the scooter with a 4x3 foot antique gilded picture frame around their body. It's really inspiring. Rent a big truck when you need it, don't own one FFS.

An exhaust system for a Dodge truck was my record... it stuck out about 4 foot each end in the most disassembled way I could get it... on a highly tuned 2 stroke 250 with virtually on/off power delivery as well!

Leicester to Southampton and then back home to Manchester. I was picking up around 120 mainly jazz LPs from someone I know who was selling up his vinyl.

Went from Aarhus, Denmark to Copenhagen and then on to Hamburg and back to Aarhus, all in one day to deliver a set of Amphion Argon 3L speakers (Copenhagen) and EAR 509 mk. 1 monoblocks (Hamburg). A friend of mine joined me near the German border for the trip to Hamburg and back. Around 1000 km. My friend drove in Germany. I went to Hamburg on two other occasions to pick up Magnepan 1.7i speakers and an Amazon Audio Referenz turntable (2 x 675 kilometers roundtrips). Mad? yes.

Edit:
Forgot my trip to Larvik, Norway to pick up an EAR 912. A car drive to Frederikshavn, ferry to Larvik, a quick meet-up and I carried the 912 on board, ferry trip back to Frederikshavn and the drive back to Aarhus. Took the whole day. Thrilling.

advertisement

Back