advertisement

Queen - vinyl partworks series. Anyone subscribed??

springer

pfm Member
Amazed there doesn't seem to be a thread already on this, but a search throws nothing up. So in the same vein as the Deagostini Jazz & Beatles vinyl releases, Hachette Partworks are putting out Queen's vinyl releases, starting with AKOM for £9.99.... Details here - a subscription gets you ANATO free, plus some other bits... Anyone subscribed? Received anything yet?? Be interested to know the provenance of these as I'm missing a few....

https://queenvinyl.hachettepartwork...hU5Cm2Dyo7XT4pkOAM3q_wsdmbq-gEuBoCKrQQAvD_BwE

Not a band I like a great deal, but good value for anyone who does. It sounds as if you could get the first two albums in the series - A Kind Of Magic and A Night At The Opera - for £9.99 and then cancel.

Could think of better ways to spend £500 as I always thought of Queen as a second rate pub band who just happened to make one or two interesting singles, Bohemian Rhapsody not being one of them.

To be fair, it does include six live sets, the three greatest hits comps and a BBC sessions LP, so cost comparisons with the Studio Collection are a little tricky. I'm not planning on subscribing, just filling a few gaps and wondered if anyone had any steer on the sound quality just yet? I'm not sure when, or even if, these might hit the shops...

Okay, I caved in. The debut is one of the gaps in my library, so picked up a copy after spotting it in WHSmith. This is Issue 3 - subscribers don't seem to have received Issue 1 yet, so not sure what's happening there.

Not played it yet, but it's perfectly flat. Nice heavyweight vinyl, decent colour booklet, printed lyric inner plus a poly-lined inner with the LP itself. Miles/Abbey Rd in the deadwax - I'm not clued up enough to say what mastering that is.
One point to note - the outer poly bag is attached to the big backing card with industrial-strength adhesive. I ended up cutting the LP out to avoid bending the sleeve.

Hi. The 'received wisdom' is that these are the same pressings as the current Queen issues but with the added bonus that this series contains several titles that haven't been reissued on vinyl (or previously issued on vinyl at all) and are, consequently, rare/unobtainium.

Try finding a copy of A Night At The Odeon on vinyl for a sensible price (to give but one example). Yet, it is (or should be) included in this set and 'should', therefore, become available individually - though not for long: The previous Queen part-works (Italy and Japan) sold out a long time ago and even these copies are now expensive...

Do you happen to know the high street release dates for the various titles? - I 'need' to either find a way of ordering a few issues individually (and I haven't been able to yet...) or else try to be at W.H. Smith when Live At The Bowl, Live At Wembley Stadium, Live in Montreal and A Night At The Odeon land...

Given that WHS had issue 3 in this time last week & it’s supposed to be a weekly release schedule, I went today expecting to find the double Innuendo set, but it was still the debut album.

I wouldn't hold your breath if you've subscribed. Just picked up issue 4 - Innuendo - in WH Smiths. There's a paper slip been added to the package saying;

'Dear Reader

Thank you for purchasing the Queen Vinyl Collection. The limited four-issue run has now come to an end. We will be looking at the level of interest before making a decision about whether the collection will be launched nationally in the near-future'

There's then an invite to post the slip back to them to receive a 'free gift' (!)

advertisement

Back