advertisement

Stylus lifespan

I have 100% faith in Expert.
They have worked on many of my cartridges.
Wyndham Hodgson once rewound a coil on my Entre.
They also rebuilt a Denon, which I currently use.

I have a Benz so expect at least 1,500 hours and keep it 5 to 10 years. Not a fan of retipping or that blue stuff after two tips came off (Koetsu and another Benz).

I let my ears tell me when it's time to change. Thought a few month ago it was time to change hearing a detonation in sound quality. Thankfully changed the valves first which sorted the sound quality. Cleaning your records on a regular basis helps as does cleaning the stylus before each album is played extends the stylus life. Suppose if the stylus is a budget cost then changing regular would not be a problem. Mine was a large outlay as such will let the ears determine when it needs changed.

The following table comparing different styli types (credit: audio-technica Ltd.) is very informative, in that, in addition to including a graphical representation of the relative contact patches, as they would interface with the groove walls in plan view (table row 'A'), it also lists the contact patch area in μm^2 (table row E). Note that sometime after line contact types gained market share, ellipticals were bundled together with spherical types under the general category of 'point contact'.

From the perspective of wear due to contact pressure, 'point contact' tips should be the worst offenders (for a given downforce), as the g/μm^2. will be far greater than for any of the line contact types; where pressure per unit area is calculated using VTF/(2 * Ac), where Ac = area of contact in μm^2. The only inexact bit here is who's interpretation of vinyl deformation under load is used, as this factors into tip contact area (i.e. a perfect sphere, as in the case of spherical, would have a contact area approaching zero if interfaced with a similar hard surface).

Table row 'F' lists values of L1/L2, which relates to the distribution of contact area (hence also force) across the groove walls, and, when factored in with 2 * Ac this loosely matches the relative expected styli lifespans by type that certain manufacturers list as hours.

nadelschliffe-660x367.jpg

Another graphic that is telling, at least from the point of view of relative subjective performance (rather than longevity), is that of the plan view of various point and line contact styli as they trace a given length of simple sine modulated groove (credit: Adamant Namiki Precision Jewel Co. Ltd.). So called 'pinch effect' occurs when the lines of contact stray from perpendicular to the linear mean of the groove (i.e. the cutter stylus path); IOWs, the stylus is forced to travel vertically where it can't fit horizontally, all the more so at near end of record side where groove signal density is much greater (note the contact shapes appearing smaller as the lines of contact stray from horizontal). This vertical modulation is very audible and easily recognizable as 'spherical sound' by those of us old enough to have started out in life listening to records 'conically'. IMO, what has allowed spherical tips to continue in the marketplace is that this tracing distortion is not unpleasant, that is, as long as it doesn't negatively affect tracking ability (pinching the stylus up out of contact with one or more of the groove walls, for example). In some ways, the audible affects of tracing distortion 'fills in' for the spherical tips inability to trace HFs; IOWs, the vertical oscillations give a mono representation of what can't be resolved stereophonically; hence part of the subjective agreement that ellipticals and line contact types 'do' stereo better.

03-10-01-19.png

When one relates the geometric data of the table to the dynamic affects demonstrated by the drawing above, it becomes obvious that it isn't just a case of better tracing of HF signals that the more exotic shapes bring, but also a marked reduction in 'additive' distortions due to vertical modulation (and L/R phase errors) where none exists in the source.
I've heard the resolving effect of a micro-line stylus on my newly acquired Hana ML. It's doubly pleasing that I can expect a longer life from the tip.

I have also started to track the number of records I've played, so can better gauge its mileage, as it wears.

Not a fan of retipping or that blue stuff after two tips came off (Koetsu and another Benz).

Likewise, though I've never had a cart. re-tipped. I no longer use that cleaning gel stuff (?Vinyl Passion?) as although it works well, I don't like the idea of the cantilever (and other bits?) being stressed in the wrong direction. I can understand a Benz tip coming off (glued only) but surprised at a Koetsu one (slotted and glued).

Cleaning your records on a regular basis helps as does cleaning the stylus before each album is played extends the stylus life.

Neither is necessary if you wet-vac the records. There's no static and simply the removal of any stray hairs or whatever is occasionally required. The fine dust which accumulates after time on the stylus can simply be brushed off or removed with an electronic cleaner (AT ???).

I have also started to track the number of records I've played, so can better gauge its mileage, as it wears.

As someone who's always logged play time (at least from Karma days in the early eighties), I can't understand anyone 'guessing' both the number of hours and the reducing longevity of their cart. Maybe for cheap magnets it's a bit of a faff, but for anything around a grand and up, surely it's essential ongoing info. It's amazing how those hours mount up. It also helps in maintaining a cleaning or inspection routines. That Hana deserves it, James !:)

Just had a brainwave. Having just installed a new cartridge I'm going to record an LP digitally now, and then after a few hundred hours.

Presumably I'm not the first to have thought of this. What pitfalls am I not seeing?

None, as long as you only play that record the two times. Otherwise you'll end up recording the combined stylus and record wear on the later recording.

I like it, a smart idea.

Just had a brainwave. Having just installed a new cartridge I'm going to record an LP digitally now, and then after a few hundred hours.

Presumably I'm not the first to have thought of this. What pitfalls am I not seeing?
That is a great idea, Sean. I attempted to do something similar decades ago when I landed my very own dual-capstan Nakamichi. Trouble is, after recording my then new replacement Grace F9E stylus, I forgot all about later comparing it back to its younger self. I think I was just too into listening to the vinyl, as well as being on a quest to discover the sounds of every turntable, tonearm, and phono cartridge I could get my hands on. I still have all of those old cassettes and they sound lovely.

Last edited:

Well, a new stylus will need a bit of running in, so maybe record it after 30+ hours. Will everything and all set-up parameters etcetera be identical in a few hundred hours' time? Will your ears have the same acuity?

When I used to transfer newly bought records (played on 401/3012/V15) to my Revox R2R in the early seventies, the resultant transfer nearly always sounded better. Silly me, though, as I sold the records afterwards !!!

Well, a new stylus will need a bit of running in, so maybe record it after 30+ hours. Will everything and all set-up parameters etcetera be identical in a few hundred hours' time? Will your ears have the same acuity?

When I used to transfer newly bought records (played on 401/3012/V15) to my Revox R2R in the early seventies, the resultant transfer nearly always sounded better. Silly me, though, as I sold the records afterwards !!!
Yes, this will be the major obstacle: chances of me not tinkering with something over the course of a couple of years are pretty low. But it ought to be possible to identify the kind of changes associated with stylus wear, especially if I choose the right recording.

As someone who's always logged play time (at least from Karma days in the early eighties), I can't understand anyone 'guessing' both the number of hours and the reducing longevity of their cart. Maybe for cheap magnets it's a bit of a faff, but for anything around a grand and up, surely it's essential ongoing info. It's amazing how those hours mount up. It also helps in maintaining a cleaning or inspection routines. That Hana deserves it, James !:)
I've always relied on visual inspection, because the expected life can vary. So even with logged usage, I'll be inspecting for wear annually. Whilst I love playing records, it's really a weekend luxury as I'm generally too knackered after work to do it justice. So, I estimate I'd clock up around 3-400 hours a year. About the right interval for a visual exam, I reckon.

Mike Reed says a new stylus will need a bit of running in.
Not according to Expert Stylus Co.
And they should know...
Perhaps not for a re-tipped cartridge. New ones certainly change in character after a few hours/days of use.

Mike Reed says a new stylus will need a bit of running in.
Not according to Expert Stylus Co.
And they should know...

I also know, and my friends likewise, as I've run in many higher end cart's over the decades. My K Urushi, which already had a few hours on it, stopped changing character when I'd clocked up over 70 hours. My other cart's ran in at many fewer hours.

ESCo use Paratrace tips; their own (OEM?) design. I've read many times that the lifespan of these isn't generally up to the original styli, but that is received wisdom. My Proteus, 2 mid Lyras, 1 Roksan Shraz, 1 K and 1 Karma (all bought new); all needed bedding in, though the Lyras did so pretty quickly and the Proteus wasn't far behind, though sounded awful for the first 10 (thought it was faulty!)

However, it's the cart. which runs in as well as the stylus etc., and ESCo's re-tips are on already run in cart's, so there are two truisms here!

Agree with Mike Reed. My new Benz sounded fantastic day 1 and then gradually sounded worse until at one stage I put my Ortofon back in to give my ears a rest.

Refreshed, refitted the Benz and after about 50 hours it was hitting form. It is now about 20-30 hours on and sounds superb. I have to say it is the quietest cartridge I have ever had.

Oooh, great stuff. Very interested to hear your impressions. When I had an AT50ANV it did take some time to bed in so it should mellow out after a few weeks.

If you can do recordings of new and at 40 hours that would be a really useful resource. My much more vague way of tracking the changes was to do some detailed analogue vs digital comparisons and make notes, then do the same comparisons 30-40 hours later.

advertisement

Back