advertisement

The Flaming Lips - American Head

Mine claims to have been dispatched but is showing ‘arriving Wednesday’, which is odd given I’m a Prime member.

Mine's now due today. A bit random this super saver delivery, but can't complain at the price.

Got yours yet @Marchbanks?
Still down for tomorrow!

Down to £23.18 now too.
We should get that price, either automatically or with a bit of whingeing, I would think.
Edit: or perhaps not, it seems to be £24.99 again. For me, anyway.

Further edit: Sunday afternoon, it has arrived and is with a neighbour. Unfortunately I’m not in a position to have a look for a week...

Last edited:
I have my copy from Amazon (very quickly delivered) just looking at it now whilst working on a paper, hopefully will get a listen tommorow..

Looking at the detailed tracking on Amazon mine is coming in from France for some reason. It’s currently got as far as Kent, delivery stated as Wednesday. I hope it gets here without cover damage...

Finally managed to hear this, after my last three attempts at listening to it in bed resulted in me nodding off before the end of the first track!

I'm liking it on first listen, will give it a few more plays whilst driving around.

It is safe to say they weren’t kidding about this being on coloured vinyl! I’ve never seen the like before, how they managed to get different coloured splatter on each side is beyond me! Sounds great too, Flaming Lips back to doing what they do best, i.e. a tripped-out stoner-rock Pink Floyd with pop sensibilities. I’m only on side two but I’m liking it a lot so far, already the best since Yoshimi.

Wondered that too. There is this from a previous album pressing

Only given mine (a clean and) the one play through and am liking it, but side 3 seems a bit noisy.

It is safe to say they weren’t kidding about this being on coloured vinyl! I’ve never seen the like before, how they managed to get different coloured splatter on each side is beyond me! Sounds great too, Flaming Lips back to doing what they do best, i.e. a tripped-out stoner-rock Pink Floyd with pop sensibilities. I’m only on side two but I’m liking it a lot so far, already the best since Yoshimi.

Glad you like it, I think it’s stunning. The Guardian review is very strange. We need pics though of the splatter!

50375077491_51e8b0a832_b.jpg

Hardly the thing for a dignified vintage turntable to wear, but what the hell! It sounds remarkably good, quiet and with far less of the ‘on/off’ dynamics I expect from The Flaming Lips. By saying that the red vinyl pressing of Yoshimi sounds very, very different to the CD.

Far more gentle and laid-back. I’d already lived with the album for years on CD before a vinyl copy turned up, so in many ways the brutality of the CD is what I expect. I’ll dig the vinyl out again at some point, but my memory is it is as big a format difference as I’ve ever heard. Basically you can’t ‘brickwall’ vinyl, it just can’t hold that level of ‘on’, so they had to make very different choices on some tracks.

So is every disc unique? Deebster and Tony’s side 1’s are visibly different, but not randomly so.

Edit: just spotted and seen the video above. Now I’m amazed Deebster and Tony’s are so similar. And I still don’t understand how the two sides of a disc are totally different.

Those LPs have got to be the most hideous slabs of vinyl I have ever seen; give me black any day.

Those LPs have got to be the most hideous slabs of vinyl I have ever seen; give me black any day.
Oh, nooo man.... when I get home I’m going to pour a glass of wine and watch each side going round on my TD125 for twenty minutes. Even though I don’t have an arm fitted yet.

Oh, nooo man.... when I get home I’m going to pour a glass of wine and watch each side going round on my TD125 for twenty minutes. Even though I don’t have an arm fitted yet.

Well, TBH, I don't much care for the Flaming Lips anyway, so IMHO, you'll be no worse off for not having an arm fitted!:D

If you've got another deck you could play Mother I've just taken LSD at the same time.

It is odd how they came out so differently from one side to another.

48690666331_b09ff5dc7d_b.jpg

Flaming Lips are great fun. I went to see them last year with Lordsummit before humans were nasty toxic things to be avoided. F*** Yeah!

48690324068_04e202cb35_b.jpg

The start of one of the best birthday weekends ever. Great gig, then carb loading Saturday, Great North Run Sunday! Great memories thanks.

advertisement

Back