advertisement

Amazon Music HD (plug)

I had Tidal HIFI and Amazon HD trialling together. Amazon catalogue better I thought but I found Tidal sound quality more engaging. Amazon was a bit matter of fact and Tidal more ‘musical’ sounding to my ears. Just a personal preference.

Amazon HD here. Previously used Spotify but this is far better quality wise. Unfortunately most folk I know share playlists via Spotify, but on the other hand I rarely bother with them that much.

I've used TIDAL and Qobuz via my streamer, via Roon, on my iPhone and via PC. I can't use Amazon on my streamer either via the Lumin App or via Roon so I haven't bothered with it. I think it is free to trial for Amazon Prime members but it is useless to me until I can use it on my streamer. I'm not paying Jeff Bezos for the inconvenience of running a USB cable across my listening room to my DAC.

Does anyone else find that tidal’s sound quality gets grainy at certain times in the day?

Well well, Amazon have done a great job with this imo. I've used Spotify almost since their start-up. Never really got on with Tidal, less so with Qobuz mostly for UI reasons. Still early days but I can see myself using Amazon after the trial in favour of Spotify.

Thanks for the heads up Tony.

Currently looking to transpose my extensive playlists from Spotify FOC. Bob's link above works but it's capped. If anyone has a solution feel free to advise :)

I use the YouTube Music which used to be called Google Play. Note sure about quality differences (it sounds fine to me on my modest Dragonfly Red + Shure SE425CL in ears system) but the killer is it's only a $2 a month marginal cost if you already pay for YouTube Premium to get rid of the ads.

For those with LG TVs they now have an Amazon Music app (and a BBC Sounds). Which is nice.

Currently looking to transpose my extensive playlists from Spotify FOC. Bob's link above works but it's capped. If anyone has a solution feel free to advise
Have a look at Soundiiz or TuneMyMusic. Tidal suggest these are resources for getting playlists into Tidal. Might work for your circumstances.

Have a look at Soundiiz or TuneMyMusic. Tidal suggest these are resources for getting playlists into Tidal. Might work for your circumstances.

Cheers Gavin. Will take a look.

On a separate note, am I right in thinking it isn't possible to create offline playlists with Amazon streaming? I've looked but the only option I see is to buy the music.

I can't understand why so many people seem to have issues around using Amazon Music HD. I stream and download files on their unlimited service as I also have Amazon prime , so it's not alot extra. It's true that not all of their HD content is true HiRes but it is at least 16bit 44.1Khz. Most of it seems to run at 24bit 96Khz and up tp 192Khz. Running from the Amazon app via usb to an external Dac and into my Naim amps and Kef speakers the sound is pretty good. I also run JRiver media player on a couple of PCs with my phone running Jremote as a controller to play HD content which I have downloaded in the past. Amazon Unlimited and JRiver both sound great and I couldn't really say I have a preference for one over the other. I just use whichever has the content I want to play at any given time. Basically I use whatever system will allow me to enjoy my music. Been using both for more than a year and never had problems with either.

advertisement

Back