advertisement

FUNK Firm - HOUDINI

Arthur is aware of everything I am doing and many of my posts are discussed before I make the responces. As for the dealers, the old guard, the vested interests and the magazines. Well you may think what you like but you are not privy to what is happening behind the scenes and what we are currently running into.

So again. Very very easy to be a spectator and have an opinion. But you know what they say about opinions...

Matt.
I think you need an expert in relations to be your online presence because you have appeared to be condescending, abrasive and belligerent quite often

I think you need an expert in relations to be your online presence because you have appeared to be condescending, abrasive and belligerent quite often

Again your opinion. I am here simply to make people aware of Houdini it is a great product and has it's own merits I am charged with making it known. It is quite separate from me. If you are indeed a friend of Arthur and his products maybe you would like to focus on it rather than your differences with my approach.

And as I have already stated. I am not here because I want to be. Last time I was on a forum is 12 years ago. As for this thread. We have been attacked for simply trying to improve the hobby for all. Our only crime is creating something unique that works and defending it.

If you can do better I am sure there is a place for you. Just have a word with the boss.

Matt.

To be fair, some of the other contributors to the thread haven’t covered themselves in glory either, the whole thread really shows the hobby in its worst light.
Agreed. The only difference between the two parties is that one party are attempting to sell something to the other party.

Again your opinion. I am here simply to make people aware of Houdini it is a great product and has it's own merits I am charged with making it known. It is quite separate from me. If you are indeed a friend of Arthur and his products maybe you would like to focus on it rather than your differences with my approach.

And as I have already stated. I am not here because I want to be. Last time I was on a forum is 12 years ago. As for this thread. We have been attacked for simply trying to improve the hobby for all. Our only crime is creating something unique that works and defending it.

If you can do better I am sure there is a place for you. Just have a word with the boss.

Matt.
I could sell ice to the Inuit, sand to the Pharaohs....first rule of sales club, the customer (or prospective customer) is always right

Not to get into the why's or where fors, only to say I was an early adopter of Arthur's Vector kit for the LP 12. I see it now includes the sub chassis and is rather cheaper than I paid. The kit transformed my LP 12 (and I've had lots of them pass through). Arthur was always available and every time it was upgraded I received the upgrades free of charge. As to dealer mark up, I've seen this first hand. Not naming names but I was offered a pair of 6K speakers direct for 3K. Take off the cost of materials and manufacture, let alone R&D and the dealer was making way more than the manufacturer. 300 quid is a bit rich for me but try with a money back if it doesn't rock your boat, what's to quibble?

Not to get into the why's or where fors, only to say I was an early adopter of Arthur's Vector kit for the LP 12. I see it now includes the sub chassis and is rather cheaper than I paid. The kit transformed my LP 12 (and I've had lots of them pass through). Arthur was always available and every time it was upgraded I received the upgrades free of charge. As to dealer mark up, I've seen this first hand. Not naming names but I was offered a pair of 6K speakers direct for 3K. Take off the cost of materials and manufacture, let alone R&D and the dealer was making way more than the manufacturer. 300 quid is a bit rich for me but try with a money back if it doesn't rock your boat, what's to quibble?

Thank you.

Again, I'm here for Houdini. Not interested in personal comments, controversy, ego or mind games.

It would seem you can’t take a joke and quite frankly all the Funk trade posts I’ve read so far have been patronising and aggressive. I’m not interested in further engaging, consider me part of the ‘old guard’, good luck.

It would seem you can’t take a joke and quite frankly all the Funk trade posts I’ve read so far have been patronising and aggressive. I’m not interested in further engaging, consider me part of the ‘old guard’, good luck.

I must have missed the punch line. Again I'm here for Houdini. You guys keep bringing it back to personal. I am not here for personal. Personally I can't wait till Houdini is in enough hands and when the word of mouth starts (as it has already) I will disappear as quickly as I arrived.

Eventually Houdini will sell itself and you and others like you will be left with a simple choice. Do I want my turntable to sound exponentially better than it is now or do I want to leave it as is? On an audio forum one would think it was that simple.

But alas no.

The Houdini's decoupling does rather fly in the face of Arthur's carbon-reinforced super stiff arm tubes. Can we expect wobbly head shells and floppy arm tubes next? An Ali Bongo special edition FX-R perhaps?

I would like to ask two questions.
If the cartridge is allowed to move outwith the range of traditional cart to arm control, as your device appears to do, what effect does this have on the life expectancy of a cartridge particularly the cantilever/suspension.
Why wont you provide us with some visual evidence of your claims for this device. It would help enormously.
Some signal and noise measurements before and after fitting would do.

I would like to ask two questions.
If the cartridge is allowed to move outwith the range of traditional cart to arm control, as your device appears to do, what effect does this have on the life expectancy of a cartridge particularly the cantilever/suspension.
Why wont you provide us with some visual evidence of your claims for this device. It would help enormously.
Some signal and noise measurements before and after fitting would do.

When playing under normal load Houdini does not move at all or at least not that you can see. So no difference. As for measurements Arthur is working on something that will convince some of you. It's a clever demo that he is in the middle of building.

All in good time.

The Houdini's decoupling does rather fly in the face of Arthur's carbon-reinforced super stiff arm tubes. Can we expect wobbly head shells and floppy arm tubes next? An Ali Bongo special edition FX-R perhaps?

Super stiff arm tubes were always about trying to cure the same problem. Arm resonance. No change in direction. Just a different approach to cure the same problem.

Increasing the stiffness of any structure raises its resonant frequency. Adding an additional compliant element has the opposite effect on resonant frequency, always.

Tuned correctly you can lower the peak amplitude for a trade off in wider Q though. But that tuning is different for every arm/cart combo and differs according to what the arm is mounted to and the frequency the cantilever is moving at.

Arthur is aware of everything I am doing and many of my posts are discussed before I make the responces. As for the dealers, the old guard, the vested interests and the magazines. Well you may think what you like but you are not privy to what is happening behind the scenes and what we are currently running into.

So again. Very very easy to be a spectator and have an opinion. But you know what they say about opinions...

Matt.
For nearly thirty years, I wasn't a spectator but an active participant in the hifi industry and have a lot of sympathy with Arthur's feelings on what he was up against in the early days. Things aren't like that now, as the press are almost completely irrelevant and one or two brands don't have an almost comical level of control of a lot of the dealers. Anyone can get a message out there and market a product without recourse to the old channels, both sales and marketing. There's plenty of brands, including the one I already mentioned that simply get on with things, and don't allow those obstacles to get in their way. After all, there are plenty of other genuine obstacles to being a successful hifi company! As for what you're currently running into, I'm not sure, as you say, because I'm not behind the scenes. What I do know though, is that Funk have the ability via this forum and plenty others to publicise this product whereas in the past they didn't. It could be done pre the online era, too: Russ Andrews was very disillusioned back in the day with audio dealers and, so he changed his model and his business flew.

The Houdini looks like a decent product to me, and I hope Funk do well with it but this is a forum, not an advertising platform. Anyway, that's me done.

Increasing the stiffness of any structure raises its resonant frequency. Adding an additional compliant element has the opposite effect on resonant frequency, always.

Tuned correctly you can lower the peak amplitude for a trade off in wider Q though. But that tuning is different for every arm/cart combo and differs according to what the arm is mounted to and the frequency the cantilever is moving at.

Yes, academically this indeed interesting. Unfortunately we have learned first-hand that the finer points will pass by most people.

Nonetheless, a white paper will be published on our website in due course.

For now, however, the day job has to come first.

advertisement

Back