advertisement

Mingus On Vinyl?

The reviewer is 13-14 years old. Nothing wrong with that, but something to bear in mind when reading his reviews.

:eek:

Blimey, he writes well for a young 'un and captures the tone of a curmudgeonly but informed middle age man quite nicely!

:eek:

Blimey, he writes well for a young 'un and captures the tone of a curmudgeonly but informed middle age man quite nicely!

I believe Fremer sub-edits his reviews to tidy up the grammar etc, but essentially they are the lad’s own reviews.

The 2 indispensable Candids were remastered in Mono for the OOP Mosaic Years ago and are excellent. As Purepleasure have access to the masters via Alan Bates of Candid I wonder if Their reissue is worth looking at. I have Stereo Japan Victors in addition to the Mosaic and they also sound good. I echo Poco’s point that early issues of titles like Tijuana and East Coasting are worth seeking out and have that same Decca of Tijuana which is great. Don’t forget Changes 1 and 2 for wonderful late Mingus. I have the Speakers Corner of Antibes and recommend it though the Rhino CD box of the Atlantic’s is hard to better.

If you can find them second hand the Classic Records audiophile cuts of Tijuana Moods and Ah Um are just crazy good IMO. When Classic Records were on form, as they were at this time, they were remarkably good. Things went a bit south with the later 200g issues that have a nasty habit of being eccentric/off centre and can suffer typical stitching/infill issues at the start of side (a typical ‘too heavy vinyl’ trait).

If you can find them second hand the Classic Records audiophile cuts of Tijuana Moods and Ah Um are just crazy good IMO. When Classic Records were on form, as they were at this time, they were remarkably good. Things went a bit south with the later 200g issues that have a nasty habit of being eccentric/off centre and can suffer typical stitching/infill issues at the start of side (a typical ‘too heavy vinyl’ trait).

That 180gm Classic Records pressing of Ah Um is a peach. They should have stuck with what worked, the 200gm vinyl wasn’t their best idea...

Does anyone know anything about the Mingus soundtrack to the movie Shadows?

The only releases I can see are on the dreaded DOL, Doxy and Alternative Fox:
https://www.discogs.com/master/1116572-Charles-Mingus-Shadows

It seems very doubtful any of these are authorised but I don't see an earlier legit release. So what source did they use?!

Apparently, the tracks "Nostalgia In Times Square" and "Alice's Wonderland" had a release on "Jazz Portraits" (aka "Wonderland") (https://www.discogs.com/master/280049-Charles-Mingus-Jazz-Portraits) but the other two tracks on that album, and the rest of the three hours of music he composed and recorded for the film, have yet to see the light of day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadows_(1959_film)#Production

As a legitimate alternative one could buy the whole movie on DVD (Amazon).

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back