advertisement

The Flaming Lips - American Head

BertieWorcester

What-ho!!
Anyone else caught up with it yet?

My copy finally arrived today, and I've just received a sensory overload whilst playing it at wife-screaming levels. I must say I love it......it's very much in the vein of The Soft Bulletin, and it could almost be the record we expected 20 years ago, but again still so much of the moment. I'm convinced there are some future classics liberally spread across the album.

Against my normal better nature, I opted for the multi-coloured 'splash' 2 LP version. Amazingly, it's very 'Hi-Fi', and the vinyl is super-quiet, even in the 'challenging' areas of the album.

A real contender!

I just wasn’t fast enough off the mark with this to get the cool vinyl, so annoyed! It’s already going for LOLprice.

PS I knew it had been released, but figured it would be another rather flat album from them, but apparently its a real return to form. That delay cost me...

Only heard the opener and the single so far via Tidal, love those and believe the remainder of the album is going to be something special.

Amazon are still advertising it for £24.99 delivered, so go and fill yer boots!

I’ve just ordered it for the hell of it, but I‘ll be amazed if they actually get any. It is long gone everywhere else. Link here for anyone else.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Damien Morris at the Guardian wasn’t very impressed by it... gave it a cynical two stars out of five. I’ve managed to see them live twice and loved both occasions. First was at the Manchester Move festival in 2003 and was amazing (one of my friends on the local crew got to go on stage in a panda suit if I remember correctly). And the second time was in The House Of Blues in Las Vegas. We were working on a show next door so two of us snook out and managed to get in with our passes. It’s quite a small venue so I got a much closer experience of them. I know they aren’t everyone’s cup of tea but I’ve always loved the rawness of their music. It’s about as punk as i go...

If the quality of the standard vinyl is good then I’ll be picking up a copy. Was the coloured version only released in limited numbers? Piccadilly records only have the option to put it on the wish list; https://www.piccadillyrecords.com/counter/product.php?pid=134805

Just gone for it as well, though delivery is 1 to 2 months so who knows.

I'm very late to the party, having only got Yoshimi a couple of months ago and The Soft Bulletin this month. Great stuff.

Damien Morris at the Guardian wasn’t very impressed by it... gave it a cynical two stars out of five.

I read the review and was surprised by it. Had a listen to a few tracks and they sound fine to me, although I couldn't make out all of the lyrics and Morris really complained about them.

I've seen The Flaming Lips quite a few times at venues like Brixton Academy, Hammersmith Odeon, Alexandra Palace and Hyde Park. Some of the gigs have been pretty amazing. My one regret is I didn't get into them before 2000.

I haven't yet heard the whole album, but the chances are Morris' review is duff. As you said, it's cynical.

Jack

I hope it is a better recording than Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots. Was a bit disappointed with the overall sound of this.

It’s great, it’s one of their finest certainly since Yoshimi. Sounds pretty good in the way that the Flaming Lips usually do. Kind of compressed, but still good. It’s got the melodic flair that the best of the Flaming Lips have, and a human touch that often they miss.

I’ve just ordered it for the hell of it, but I‘ll be amazed if they actually get any. It is long gone everywhere else. Link here for anyone else.
Mine is on the way, I’ve been told. Arrives Sunday.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Mine is on the way, I’ve been told. Arrives Sunday.

Not despatched yet but mine now says due 23-24th Sept.

Hope it sounds quieter than the last splattery one I bought, Kacey Musgraves as it happens (who guests on this).

Last edited:
It's a great album. Had it on pre-order from Bella Union for quite a while so bagged the signed version too. Plus it arrived 2 weeks before release. I was due to see the Lips live again this year - would have been great to see how some of the songs translated to their stage show.

advertisement

Back