advertisement

Help me choose a motorbike

That might be true for some of them but others are actually quite capable. On a trail bike race I did in Wales I finished mid-pack on my 2-stroke, lightweight Honda CRM250R but was well beaten by an Africa Twin and a BMW GS (the latter ridden by journalist Paul Blezard) - and while there was a bit of fire-road etc. it had proper off road sections too, and some of them quite tough (one climb in particular I recall as being very slippery and was quite a struggle even on the CRM).

I don't really think that something like a BMW1150GS was really expected to be doing trials or enduro type sections though, and while they will certainly mostly get used off-road they will be very capable on broken surfaces or gravel roads.
I'm a competent middle of the pack enduro racer. I swear I would come last on a big adventure bike, even if it was just trails. I last raced on a 125 two stroke Husky 4 years ago and was putting in the best times of my racing 'career' versus a Husky 4 stroke 310 and 250, and a Gas Gas 2 stroke 300

We all have different preferences to a degree. Those that passed you may well have been exceptional riders that may have even passed you on an LC with knobblies.

Who knows.

A quick google suggests the Husky 310 weighs in at 107kg dry - and the BMW R 1250 GS at 249 kg.

You could carry Tyson Fury two-up on the Husky - with his lunch in a rucksack at the back, 20 litres of fuel in a jerry-can - and still be lighter than the BMW :)

We all have different preferences to a degree. Those that passed you may well have been exceptional riders that may have even passed you on an LC with knobblies.

I might be slow but I'm not that slow!

My current race bike (which I haven't actually raced for quite a few years athough I used it on Enduro's and trail bike rallies back in the day) is a 2-stroke, 250cc Gas-Gas Pampera which is very light. It's a lot slower than the other off-roaders I've had (CRM250R, DR350SE, XT600E) but crazy capable when things are steep and/or slippery.

In a non-Covid market I wonder how much sales the main manufactures could drum up from reissuing key models, engine changes obviously but keeping 90% loyal to the look and feel?
My vote goes for a Honda CB250/400T reissued as CB300/500T, yubly jubly.

Honda%20CB250T.jpg

I always like the CB400T - possibly because it seemed like a grown up version of the CB125TB I had as a teenager. The XBR500 was the mid-size Honda I really wanted in the 80's though, which is why I now have one. The other Honda from that region I've always wanted was the NS400r but so far I've resisted the urge to add one to the fleet.

I might be slow but I'm not that slow!

My current race bike (which I haven't actually raced for quite a few years athough I used it on Enduro's and trail bike rallies back in the day) is a 2-stroke, 250cc Gas-Gas Pampera which is very light. It's a lot slower than the other off-roaders I've had (CRM250R, DR350SE, XT600E) but crazy capable when things are steep and/or slippery.
i tried one of those.....it was the look that put me off! I ride a gasgas tzials bike now

I really can't see any attraction whatsoever with huge trail bikes... Africa twin, BMW GS etc etc etc... My least favourite motorbikes of all time!

Same. It's almost axiomatic - why would you want an overweight trail-bike ?

In a non-Covid market I wonder how much sales the main manufactures could drum up from reissuing key models, engine changes obviously but keeping 90% loyal to the look and feel?

Honda%20CB250T.jpg

I never liked the 'CX500 type' styling on those when they came out - but I think time has been kind to them.
Not quite sure if that would also apply to the automatic transmission version as well just yet.

Original CB500T had a reputation as a total dog of course! CX500.... the bike everyone loved to hate... never owned one but did lots of miles on borrowed ones... actually very good bikes and of course most practical as an everyday hack. I thought the engine the best of all the 500/550cc machines in fact! just as quick as a CB550 or GS550 and loads more bottom end torque.

The CB500T had an overbored version of the CB450K I have, that evolved from the original 450 Black Bomber. Actually a damn fine engine, with the Honda F1 tech derived torsion-bar valve gear and a rev limit of 10,000 in a twin :)

g80qfjLh.jpg

Quicker than the 400/Four interestingly, though the later four cylinder machine was lauded as a sprightly machine. Never quite understood why the big bore 500 got such a bad reputation.

You mean this fella..

Honda--8837.jpg

That was indeed the chap. Pre-restriction (16hp if I recall correctly, and a 12,000rpm red line) so was relatively fast compared to other 125's at the time. The cable operated front disk was awful though.

The CB500T had an overbored version of the CB450K I have, that evolved from the original 450 Black Bomber. Actually a damn fine engine, with the Honda F1 tech derived torsion-bar valve gear and a rev limit of 10,000 in a twin :)

g80qfjLh.jpg

Quicker than the 400/Four interestingly, though the later four cylinder machine was lauded as a sprightly machine. Never quite understood why the big bore 500 got such a bad reputation.

Oh I'm well aware of its origins! legend has it that Honda completely ballsed it up and turned the CB450 motor into a complete lemon in its attempts to "refine" it. About the longest cam chain ever and loads of tensioner issues etc.

A quick google suggests the Husky 310 weighs in at 107kg dry - and the BMW R 1250 GS at 249 kg.

You could carry Tyson Fury two-up on the Husky - with his lunch in a rucksack at the back, 20 litres of fuel in a jerry-can - and still be lighter than the BMW :)
I suspect Tyson and the subframe would not make past the first bump!

About the only "sports" 4 stroke 125 of the era... (the T not the j!) and now VERY rare. IIRC the redline was even higher than 12000rpm....

It might be have been a little higher but I don't think by much - mine might have revved to maybe 12500rpm but it was a very long time ago that I owned it. There was a later Honda 125 twin (CB125TDC maybe?) but it was restricted to 12hp so was a good bit slower than mine. It was a nice looking bike and did have an electric start though.

Sadly mine died after a driving instructor pulled out right in front of me in the grounds of the university - I suspect he was spending more time checking out the legs of the young girl who he was instructing - although it was him driving at that point. Despite multiple witnesses it took a year for his insurance to admit it was his fault and pay out, after which I bought a Kawasaki AR125LC. The Honda was a much nicer bike though.

We also currently have a Honda 125, an MSX125 or Grom. Here's my wife (who has a full bike license) trying her best to make it look bigger than it really is (as it's tiny) in the Picos mountains in Spain:

168850401.KWDcKNNm.picos3.jpg

It's only 100kg and fits into the garage on our motorhome, which is why we have it. It's been useful recently as a bike for my son to learn on as well though. It's only got about half the power my CB125TB did, but is hugely more sophisticated with such luxuries as an electric start and even ABS brakes.

How do you find the Grom overall Steve ?

My brother has been agonising over whether to buy one or not for a long time.

How do you find the Grom overall Steve ?

My brother has been agonising over whether to buy one or not for a long time.

It's a lovely little bike and despite being tiny it copes surprisingly well when 2-up with myself and my wife on it. My son also likes it and it's been great for him to learn on as it's very easy to ride and I like that it has ABS. It's also very cheap to run as it uses very little fuel.

We got ours primarily based on its small size and low weight and how well it fits in the garage of our motorhome though (pic below). I'm not convinced it'd be my first choice if I was just buying a general 125 I'd probably have gone with the CB125F as it's bigger (so will take 2 better - not that it's a big deal for most 125 users), has more power and is also cheaper. The Grom is way cuter though!

167893844.D9AczVWD.gar02.jpg

Honda%20CB250T.jpg

Wouldn't mind test riding a 2021 model RD350!

advertisement

Back