advertisement

Premium bonds to stop paying out cheques

My current cheque book was issued in 2006, two used so probably will last a lifetime.

Main business doesn't even have a cheque book; they're obsolete for us.

Payment to and from Premium Bonds has been from my Nationwide account for years, I don't even know how many. NSANDI also upgrade thier security (how you login) from time to time. Unless you desperately want to take a £25 Premium Bond winning cheque to your local branch to pay in, this is a complete non-issue.

I actually like taking premium bond cheques to my bank, took some today.

Keeps the tellers working, I don't like over automated banks, I like to speak to a person.

I’ve better things to do with my life than pay to park the car, negotiate shoppers etc, just to pay a poxy piece of paper in.
I really struggle to think of reasons why any high street banks should exist now.

I actually like taking premium bond cheques to my bank, took some today.

Keeps the tellers working, I don't like over automated banks, I like to speak to a person.

My experience in banks over the last few years, closing branches, use the machine, only one window open, is that they don`t want to speak to you.

My P.Bs are maxed out, and I not only know what I've won by checking each month but they send an email and the win goes directly to my account afterwards. Informative, simple and secure; what more can you ask?

My wife's P.B.s aren't up to the max, so they're immediately reinvested for the next and subsequent draws. I get an update paper notification with all details for my records. We've already won from these reinvested £25 wins this year.

I Invest in NS&I Income Bomds and ISA too. So easy for an old codger like me to securely negotiate, invest by debit card and have monthly interest paid directly to my bank. NS&I; fantastic organisation with £1million headroom for investment and that monthly anticipation of maybe winning something other than the ubiquitous £25. I love it; besides, the gov't needs our money and one or two of their products are at the top of the leader board for the first time ever.

Sorry; just a patriotic financial moment ! :)

All the NS&I investments look to be good value for money - P.Bonds consistently pay me the equivalent of 1% annual interest, tax free. Much better than yer average Building Society these days.

Barclays' app has a cheque scan / deposit facility which is rather handy. No idea whether other banks have rolled it out.
Yorkshire Bank have it, it took me a few goes to line the cheque up with the “frame”, the app uses your phone’s camera.

good , its a real pain having to go to the bank on the rare occassion i have won something

My banking app on my iPad actually has a feature where you can pay cheques in using the camera. Good news given there is no way in hell I’d go inside an actual bank at present! Paying in cheques was the only time I ever used the high st bank, so I guess I don’t personally need that functionality at all now.

Your bank details are on every cheque you write, so there's leakage there.
Don't see why that is a problem.

As for cheques generally, about 5 years ago I changed energy suppliers. I checked that no money was owing to me. 3 weeks ago I received a cheque from that supplier for £2.63 which I did not know they owed me. I might frame it.

I would love to know why it takes 6 weeks for new bonds purchased to be entered into a draw, especially as it only takes minutes to draw the numbers each month - this to me, is one of the few negatives aspect to PB’s

advertisement

Back