advertisement

Nvidia RTX30xx Graphics

Tech Jesus is measuring 70-90% improvement on the 1080ti that will do me at this price point.

amd have nothing going on at the 3080 level.

any information or reviews on aftermarket additional cooling, especially if RTX 30s are compatible with e.g. existing Morpheus and similar coolers?

any information or reviews on aftermarket additional cooling, especially if RTX 30s are compatible with e.g. existing Morpheus and similar coolers?

I've not seen anything yet. We'll see much more in the next few days as the first boards are released

Ah well, they showed as out of stock before evening showing a purchase now. So looks like I will be waiting into AMD show their hand lol.

More doom and gloom from Gary's favourite youtuber :)

tldw:

-- Performance figures have been cherry picked.
-- The founder's edition is likely a loss leader and regardless you almost certainly won't be able to buy one.
-- The AIB and later stock cards will *probably* be more expensive.
-- 30 series gives its best performance at 4k but doesn't really have enough VRAM to do 4k.
-- There is a better than evens chance AMD is competitive with the 3080 at significantly less wattage.
-- AMD will be very probably be very competitive at the lower price points in both performance, price and power usage.

The obvious thing that is going to happen here is Nvidia has left a big gap in their line up, so that when Big Navi comes out they can quickly launch Ti/Super versions of the 3080 and 3070 to regain their performance advantage / bragging rights.

One youtuber may be wrong of course, but if I were in the market for a new card I would wait for Big Navi unless I had a specific problem now that a 30xx would fix.

I did watch that but sorry he is AMD all the way clearly, lets hope his predictions are accurate or he is going to look a bit stupid. The main argument I heard from him was the 3080 is 65% better than the 2080 at nearly half the cost. Struggling to see the problem here*, even if they did garnish it somewhat, which company does not.

All other youtubers I watch, of which there is a concerning amount is clear this is good card at a good price.

*Well there is a problem, the founders is 650 but not available, the manufacturer ones are starting at 850, and no doubt the hype will mean no availability and price rises for the next few months, until they are at the same price as 2080!

One youtuber may be wrong of course, but if I were in the market for a new card I would wait for Big Navi unless I had a specific problem now that a 30xx would fix.

I find the collab with Sony to be the most interesting part in the development of Big Navi. In other news it's just been announced that the new PS will be in the same price band as the XBox.

*Well there is a problem, the founders is 650 but not available, the manufacturer ones are starting at 850

As predicted by your favourite youtuber a few days ago :)

To be clear he is not saying these are bad cards. He is saying that NVIDIA's marketing is designed to create the impression that Big Navi is dead in the water and that there is enough evidence in *the public domain* to make waiting on Big Navi and possibly even future NVIDIA cards prudent.

To be clear he is not saying these are bad cards. He is saying that NVIDIA's marketing is designed to create the impression that Big Navi is dead in the water and that there is enough evidence in *the public domain* to make waiting on Big Navi and possibly even future NVIDIA cards prudent.

A nice step up from the 10 series for a lot of people ;)

Its like predicting its going to rain though Matthew. Come on you are an adult, the guy sounds like a noob.

Its like predicting its going to rain though Matthew. Come on you are an adult, the guy sounds like a noob.

Well it's all like predicting it's going to rain to some extent. But I think you are being grossly unfair to him as he is much better informed than you imply. Listen to his podcast and the guests he gets on it.

Anyway, you can listen to Linus instead if you prefer.

Hey its all just preferences as to who we want to watch, lets face it there is plenty of choice on youtube. I watched linus which was a bit click baity. He moans like your man there that they egged the claims, but that in the end its a great card at a great price.

The only argument I am seeing from the other guy is that the 3080 uses more power, I am not mining so really dont give a toss, I want to know if I can play minecraft with ray tracing !

Can't say I'm sad to have left the PC gaming fraternity behind. I went over to an Xbox One X a couple of years ago when RDR2 was released and I honestly haven't looked back since.

4k gaming? The Witcher 3 looked spectacular as did Fallout 4. The Hunter Call of the Wild is just so addictive like an addictive thing could be - run through the trees! It's an awesome expansive world. And it runs perfectly well on a 4k monitor.

Do I miss being crouched over using a keyboard and mouse to play a game on a monitor 3 feet away? Nope I do not. And could never go back to doing that .

Can't wait for the Series X. Better than a 2080ti? For £400?

Ray Tracing in Minecraft ( isn't that what 12 year olds play? )

Not a prayer.

Early reports suggest otherwise and well, I live in hope but I also don't believe in people that might live up there in heaven somewhere. So I don't Prey.

Glad I'm out of the Envidia Envy loop though. Shcmucksville Arizona. With Bells on.

PS. The power draw on those 30 series cards is just ridiculous. 350 watts?

How are they justifying that?

Kiss goodbye to saving the planet for a few more FPS?

Glad I'm out of the Envidia Envy loop though. Shcmucksville Arizona. With Bells on.

Totally agree (and about the power draw). The 3080 isn't much ahead of the 2080Ti, the xbox won't be at the ball game. It will beat any PC you could build for similar money today hands down though. I don't think many people will buy consoles to play at 4K however, and that's really where the big advantage of a full PC is to be had.

I just cannot get on with controllers, going right back to the original NES, just cannot use them.

I don't think many people will buy consoles to play at 4K however

Ahem. THe Xbox one X runs all the games I mentioned earlier on my 4k Monitor - seamlessly. My PC would choke above 1440p (granted it was only a 1070 but it was overlocked to the nth degree and could swallow up quite a few 1080's in benchmarks)

I cannot wait to see what the Series X does. No kidding.

I used to be a died in the wool PC Gaming enthusiast but I'm from Yorkshire (short arms - deep pockets) and would always buy the best bang for buck and tweak it as far as possible.

I don't have Money to burn nowadays - my disposable income comes out of savings (I'm retired) and I have to use that money carefully.

Good luck if you want to buy into the latest Nvidia hype but I can't help feeling that the Xbox Series X is going to knock Nvidia off it's preposterous perch.

And not before time.

advertisement

Back