advertisement

Guitar talk: acoustic, bass, classical, twelve string? You name it! Pt III

My pedal board gets smaller all the time and a great many of the pedals I own are in retrospect basically about making an entry level amp sound and and play like a much more expensive one. I think I will end up with the Tremverb and a looper. Indeed if I spend a load of money on an amp and it needs a bunch of pedals to make it sound how I like then something has gone wrong!

Also 90% of all my guitar playing is on one of two settings on my Origin Effects (which effectively works like the front of an amp) and everything else stays the same apart from Tremolo on/off.

Like fancy stands and racks under isobariks (or mods, or cables or power supplies), by the time you spend all that time, effort & money modding you could have jumped in at the deep end with what you were trying to achieve — but it’s something ppl don’t always discover because the process of expenditure is an important part of this craft.

These realisations along the way are part of the reward.

I am now conflicted about reverb... although I suppose the obvious thing is to spend all weekend playing without any and see what happens.

Am also wondering if I am going a bit mad thinking about such expensive amps just because I got a more generous voucher than I thought I was. The Morgan PR5 ticks all the boxes (handwired, classic blackface sound, real spring reverb, low power, can prob overdrive it with my reactive load) and costs £280 after the vouchers.

Also I just remembered I guess I am going to have to pay 40% tax on the vouchers next April anyway.

Like fancy stands and racks under isobariks (or mods, or cables or power supplies), by the time you spend all that time, effort & money modding you could have jumped in at the deep end with what you were trying to achieve — but it’s something ppl don’t always discover because the process of expenditure is an important part of this craft.

There is possibly nothing more PFM than a middle aged white man spending ages deciding which boutique amp to buy for his dentist guitar. I should probably find some lawyer friends and form a mediocre blues band :)

Yes, wherever possible avoid the small incremental stuff and just do it. I spent far too long with small differences in hi-fi and kind of learned from that. My upgrade from a Roland MicroCube to a Rift PR6 is about right to my mind, i.e. just do it to the extent it doesn’t need doing again ever!

Guitars are highly personal though, and I just seem to prefer stuff a bit off the beaten track, e.g. I much prefer my Shergold to the Jazz Bass, the vintage Yam to either the Les Paul or Strat. You only learn that stuff by living with them for a while, so it does take a bit of investment, but buy reasonably wisely and it can be freed up again.

The Morgan PR5 ticks all the boxes (handwired, classic blackface sound, real spring reverb, low power, can prob overdrive it with my reactive load) and costs £280 after the vouchers.

I think it is a potential bargain and almost certainly a really great amp. For me it would have been between that and a Rift, and it is by far the cheapest (due to discounting rather than quality) and is in stock rather than a long waiting list. Just buy it! I’m sure you will love it.

I am now conflicted about reverb... although I suppose the obvious thing is to spend all weekend playing without any and see what happens.

The more gain, the less you need reverb. Something like the Headroom, if you want real spring, should work into the front for most needs I would have thought.

There is possibly nothing more PFM than a middle aged white man spending ages deciding which boutique amp to buy for his dentist guitar. I should probably find some lawyer friends and form a mediocre blues band :)

.. and don't forget the obligatory cork-sniffing dentist(s) of course..

I needed to look it up and stumbled upon this

9b14a767c226ce10806c790ea534ce2f.jpg

(I was going to say , presumably only plays root note patterns. )
Presumably a hollow-body, too... how's the drummer at fills?

Oh Christ, as a middle-aged and reasonably solvent health professional, I am forced to acknowledge you have just perfectly described both my guitars. B**tard.

In my defense, I have had them since my mid-late 20's.

Oh Christ, as a middle-aged and reasonably solvent health professional, I am forced to acknowledge you have just perfectly described both my guitars. B**tard.

In my defense, I have had them since my mid-late 20's.

It's ok, Sean, you are amongst friends here :)

Also, what you got?

It's arrived! Initial thoughts:

1) It's loud. No way I am playing this above about 3 in my flat.
2) It's a super efficient antenna and makes a helipcopter sound which I think is the fan in my computer. Goes away / changes as I move it about.
3) Oh man it was some sweet, sweet treble. And is super responsive under the fingers.
4) It's going to brutally expose my hack playing.

Sadly I now have to go back to work.

Cool, that all sounds about right.

1) I’m between 2 & 3 on the Rift volume knob into the standard #1 input. Beyond that it does actually come up fairly slowly. If I didn’t have neighbours I’d happily use it half open without fearing for my ears.

2) Are you sure the antenna thing is the amp, not the guitar. Hum/noise etc comes and goes here with single coils depending on how I hold the guitar in relation to the amp. I sit on the floor very close to it, so it is likely exaggerated. Fat Lester is quiet, humbuckers humbucking and all that.

3) Same.

4) Same.

advertisement

Back