advertisement

iOS 14

RickyC6

Infuriate the frog-men
It’s a biggie! And apparently comes with possible issues for some third party apps due to short beta testing timescales.
Anyone taken the plunge? I’m holding off for a bit on my iPhone X.

No issues so far with my 8+ or iPad, but then I’m not a power user. I mostly use Roon, first party apps, or occasionally the DDG browser. No problems with any of those, though.

Plenty of tinkering to be had with the new widgets etc. Not sure how much they really add for me, but a bit of fun to mess with. And the App Library can help keep home screens much less cluttered.

Privacy measures seems like a big part of it, which I approve of. Also the new translation app, while I’m sure other apps have done similar things already, seems kind of magic. Especially when you put it in landscape mode and it auto-detects which language is being spoken and translates to whichever other one you have selected. Even if it’s the same voice speaking in two different languages.

Seems a good update to me.

Also the new translation app, while I’m sure other apps have done similar things already, seems kind of magic. Especially when you put it in landscape mode and it auto-detects which language is being spoken and translates to whichever other one you have selected. Even if it’s the same voice speaking in two different languages.

Seems a good update to me.

Sounds like a Universal Translator to me

Downloaded and installed on both iPhones here (an 11 and a large format 11pro). So far no issues, but best apparent feature is how the connection to AirPods will switch from phone to phone automatically, rather than having to tell each phone to switch output to the 'pods.

I stuck it on my 2020 iPad Pro last night and I’m struggling to notice anything new to be honest. I’ve not done the phone yet (a 6S) as I want to be sure Cyclemeter works first.

My recent Ipad has only just updated today to 13.7 - so i wonder why it is not gagging to go to 14 already if it out and about. Or are these things phased?

Must check the family Iphones, all Iphone 7+ models except mine, a lowly 6 that still works just fine.

I stuck it on my 2020 iPad Pro last night and I’m struggling to notice anything new to be honest. I’ve not done the phone yet (a 6S) as I want to be sure Cyclemeter works first.

I have been on beta, its certainly nippier. The ability to put widgets on the screen is welcome, the a-z of apps essential, but getting to it in typical apple fashion is shite. The app library is shite and the fact that when you install an app you have to go to the back of your pages to fetch it out is also shite.

Installed later last night...one thing I noticed is the alarm has changed...which was annoying as was trying to reset it when v sleepy.
Other than that it’s stable and I’ve not noticed too much that’s different that will affect me...

Just stuck it on my (old) SE.

Refused apple analytics as per usual.

It turned bluetooth on. Now back on off.

I’m disappointed so far, I was expecting teh new and shiny more stuffs, and so far I honestly can’t tell the difference between 13 and 14 on the iPad Pro. I don’t have a Apple Pencil though, and I suspect a lot of the new fun is there.

The app library is shite and the fact that when you install an app you have to go to the back of your pages to fetch it out is also shite.
There's an option to add newly downloaded apps to the home screen or app library. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way of disabling the app library completely.

Settings>Home Screen

I'm sad that the Universal Translator doesn't look like the original one.

latest

Stephen

I have been on beta, its certainly nippier. The ability to put widgets on the screen is welcome, the a-z of apps essential, but getting to it in typical apple fashion is shite. The app library is shite and the fact that when you install an app you have to go to the back of your pages to fetch it out is also shite.

I don't miss iPhone/iOS at all. Moved to a Pixel 3 two years ago and have zero regrets. Build quality isn't quite iPhone level for durability. 2018 and onwards iPad Pros are superb but obviously not cheap. Even the trashcan is still working a treat, what I will replace it with I honestly don't know. well, it wont be a new Mac Pro know that. Maybe a high spec homebrew PC workstation but I do like OS(X).

Looking forward to trying the Translate app to see how it holds up to Google's offering.

I don't miss iPhone/iOS at all. Moved to a Pixel 3 two years ago and have zero regrets. Build quality isn't quite iPhone level for durability. 2018 and onwards iPad Pros are superb but obviously not cheap. Even the trashcan is still working a treat, what I will replace it with I honestly don't know. well, it wont be a new Mac Pro know that. Maybe a high spec homebrew PC workstation but I do like OS(X).

Looking forward to trying the Translate app to see how it holds up to Google's offering.

I don't miss Android at all. I tried a note nine for 6 months, hated it. Hated how flaky everything was, hated how options were all over the place, hated the flaky fingerprint recognition. It certainly looked nice though. Most of all I hated how, according to PiHole the note nine had the most by almost 5 times ad blocking compared to anything else on the network.

advertisement

Back