advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. Unless there is a very serious medical breakthrough very soon (vaccine or simple effective treatment) I suspect we are in for absolute carnage this winter. It wouldn’t surprise me if the second wave was far worse than the first.

This is the worst national crisis I’ve seen in my life time and it is deepening. It requires leadership and Im afraid we have, coincidentally, a Prime Minister wholly unsuited to the task. It means chaos is coming- you can almost smell it.
Boris is a weak leader. Someone who talks the talk then limps off at the first sign of trouble. He has single handedly caused thousands of deaths in this country by waiting just 2 extra weeks to lock down. Not to mention the calamity he caused since. He should be held accountable at some point.

It's extremely worrying how he will respond to the second wave, which has already started to rear it's ugly head.

This is the worst national crisis I’ve seen in my life time and it is deepening. It requires leadership and Im afraid we have, coincidentally, a Prime Minister wholly unsuited to the task. It means chaos is coming- you can almost smell it.

Coming? It's been with us for quite a while!

I might piss some people off here, and I am by no means a Tory apologist, but the national crisis is not being helped by the selfishness / stupidity of some fellow citizens. There was a bloke on tv this morning queuing with his son (maybe 5 years old) for a non-available test even though neither of them had symptoms. “We came back from Spain 2 weeks ago and we want to know for our piece of mind”.

If you’d just bought a Brand new car would you put it in for an MOT? No. Why? Because there’s **** all wrong with it. And there’s **** all wrong with you, you ****!

I might piss some people off here, and I am by no means a Tory apologist, but the national crisis is not being helped by the selfishness / stupidity of some fellow citizens. There was a bloke on tv this morning queuing with his son (maybe 5 years old) for a non-available test even though neither of them had symptoms. “We came back from Spain 2 weeks ago and we want to know for our piece of mind”.

If you’d just bought a Brand new car would you put it in for an MOT? No. Why? Because there’s **** all wrong with it. And there’s **** all wrong with you, you ****!
All I can say is there’s a reason he’s on TV, and it’s not because he’s representative of the people trying to get tested.

Saw a similar story unfold on french news this evening - a youngish woman just got back from holidays and now wanting a test to be sure she's ok - zero symptoms.
If she was that bothered why the fcuk did she go on holiday in the first place?

I might piss some people off here, and I am by no means a Tory apologist, but the national crisis is not being helped by the selfishness / stupidity of some fellow citizens.
Give the guy an inch & all that. Boris is weak, he has allowed this to happen through piss poor leadership. Of course raping the country of it's assets over the last 10 years is wreaking it's havoc.

All I can say is there’s a reason he’s on TV, and it’s not because he’s representative of the people trying to get tested.
I agree in the main, but I know from my day job that some people who absolutely should not be seeking a test are doing so for a variety of reasons ranging from the “misinformed”, to the “permanently worried”. The Government, despite (because of??) it’s obvious inadequacies needs people with the capacity to do so to use a bit of Common sense.

I agree in the main, but I know from my day job that some people who absolutely should not be seeking a test are doing so for a variety of reasons ranging from the “misinformed”, to the “permanently worried”. The Government, despite (because of??) it’s obvious inadequacies needs people with the capacity to do so to use a bit of Common sense.
Having been through the process I can tell you, common sense will not help you with it, may even be a hindrance.

Leaving that aside, even if a bit of common sense were all that’s required here, common sense would also tell you that there will always be at least a few people who in any given situation are not going to apply it. Common sense would say “Build that assumption into the system!” But no. Not these c—ts. Even if they had actually built a common sense system, rather than something out of a Terry Gilliam movie, it still wouldn’t be acceptable for a government to say “You won’t believe it! Turns out a small percentage of people are complete dicks! And so I’m afraid none of this is going to work.” I mean, it’s a given. If the system were sound it just wouldn’t be a problem. I don’t actually believe it is a problem TBH, based on my experiences at one of these test centres, and what’s coming out about how they’re managed.

It’s a global crisis and the worst I have known as it’s attack on public heath is so great that it spills into the economic domain.

Problem is that most politicians are crap and I can think of very few that would have come out smelling of roses, although Johnson has managed to find a tank in the sewage farm to roll in few would have guessed existed until the stench of utter corruption hit them.

The misinformed thing is a bit weird. I went to get my hair cut say three weeks ago, same guy as for the last few years. Bright chap, young Turkish/Italian. No mask, I said should I wear a mask? He says 'no hand sanitiser is all we need, I've had a test'. Sat down he's working and we chat, I say 'when did you have the test?' He says 'about 5 weeks ago'.

30to 50% of people who catch this virus have no idea & can then pass it on so it depends on your personal responsibilities whether you feel the need to be tested.

The misinformed thing is a bit weird. I went to get my hair cut say three weeks ago, same guy as for the last few years. Bright chap, young Turkish/Italian. No mask, I said should I wear a mask? He says 'no hand sanitiser is all we need, I've had a test'. Sat down he's working and we chat, I say 'when did you have the test?' He says 'about 5 weeks ago'.
Close shave then.

Sounds like he was cutting it a bit fine.

As bad as you guys think the testing system is in the UK I was listening to a radio programme on RTE. A Derry resident living in Dublin explained how much easier it was to get tests in Derry. She explained how a friend coming back from holidays who had no symptoms but was concerned about being around her grandmother wanted a test to reassure her. It was easy to ring through straight to the testing centre get tested and result next day.

A lot of the complaints you have I think are echoed all around Europe the difficulty is trying to sort out was is real, reasonable and attainable.
Dublin is heading back close to lock down. On Sky news tonight I hear similar stories in Wales and various places in the UK. One area the cases seem to relate to a rugby club night out that causes a spike in cases.

Interesting that the data from the King’s Covid symptom app apparently clearly demonstrates that a runny nose is not a symptom of Covid.

They’ve been running this pretty much from day one. The Government have been ignoring these useful data, but Tim Spector finally got an airing on Today, today.

Stephen

I wonder if Dec isn’t thinking about empty shop shelves, mobs in the streets kind of chaos.
I watched Johnson’s flat performance yesterday in Westminster, then the extensive coverage of people anxious to be tested and failing and got a sense of things beginning to slip out of control. One commentator said that even though negotiations have gone badly wrong, Brexit is still an abstract concept for most people but the failure to deliver Covid testing to an increasingly fearful population will be far more dangerous for this government.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back