advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain X

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s not just the Mail. The FT has a similar story.

Around 16,000 potential suppliers contacted a 500-person buying team set up by the Cabinet Office in March...

However, the process has been criticised for awarding large sums of taxpayer money to several companies that appear to have no record in supplying PPE and have small balance sheets or poor recent financial performance. It has prompted concern over the extent of due diligence that was conducted before the contract awards....

Peter Smith, managing director at consultancy Procurement Excellence, said normal procurement practice had “gone out the window”, adding: “
My hope is that there is some method in the madness.”

Method or Madness?

There are third and fourth options; deceit and corruption.

Didn't this happen before with a ferry crossing?

It's odd, isn't it, that of all the things the DM and the Express gets in a lather about, such as immigrants, asylum seekers, single mums and general fecklessness, it never seems to occur to them to bring blatant government corruption and cronyism to their readers' attention. I'd have thought the readership would LOVE a chance to get properly worked up about that sort of thing.

It's odd, isn't it, that of all the things the DM and the Express gets in a lather about, such as immigrants, asylum seekers, single mums and general fecklessness, it never seems to occur to them to bring blatant government corruption and cronyism to their readers' attention. I'd have thought the readership would LOVE a chance to get properly worked up about that sort of thing.
To be fair to the Daily Mail, not an easy 7 words to write one after the other, they did go with the PPE corruption of the hand outs of £billions to firms who were never going to provide PPE, which is more than the Labour Party has done so far!

And they have an 80 seat majority so PMQs is pure pantomime fluff and nothing else. Trying to find any glimmer of hope in Johnson's inevitably woeful performances week in week out is just desperation frankly!

It keeps the pressure up though. And what other forum do the opposition have to expose Government wrongdoing and failure?

We have a Government obsessed with spin, lies and appearances.

It matters a lot to them how they look—especially to their own media pals, donors and the party.

Stephen

Both mine are at home - both now ill, we're waiting on a test result today hopefully, the kit has arrived at the lab in Glasgow (that's the local one to me in West Yorks!)

Apparently that lab is shambles, that's the one that had the coronavirus outbreak in the summer, think it's in Motherwell.

Looking at the number of schools who have already runnout of their allotted 10 test kits, and the number of kids sent home with Covid symptoms, it seems that the message that kids don’t get Covid and don’t pass it it on, is not entirely correct.

Who got it wrong? The Scientists? Or the makers of the message?

Looking at the number of schools who have already runnout of their allotted 10 test kits, and the number of kids sent home with Covid symptoms, it seems that the message that kids don’t get Covid and don’t pass it it on, is not entirely correct.

We’ll blow me down with a feather, that’s a shock. I’d never have thought it.

Unfortunately, school properties have not enlarged, nor have budgets and staff numbers increased as a result of Covid. Not sure what the schools are supposed to do when tasked with "getting all kids back to school (but you're on your own.")
Do the simple things correctly for one. Things that cost nothing like avoiding hugging colleagues, use hand sanitizer, washing of hands, keeping distance from colleagues. Simple stuff.

The scientists in the US have been saying that children spread COVID for several months:
https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/st...ildren-as-the-silent-spreaders-of-sars-cov-2/

The only way to have in-person learning without a significant rise in cases is to test every child every few days - currently a logistical impossibility.

that's not to say it's wrong to open schools - that's a complex decision - but anyone who pretends it can be done "safely" without massive testing capacity is misinformed or lieing.

This is the worst national crisis I’ve seen in my life time and it is deepening. It requires leadership and Im afraid we have, coincidentally, a Prime Minister wholly unsuited to the task. It means chaos is coming- you can almost smell it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back