advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saying that Scotland is a Celtic nation is just as meaningless as saying that Ireland is. When you come down to it, most of England is Celtic in origin too: there weren't enough Saxons to out-populate (or murder) all of the existing Britons, and over time the Celts assimilated, just as they had with the Romans before.
I respectfully disagree there. England was indeed Celtic pre-Roman invasion, but Scotland and Ireland never received the external influences that changed England to such a degree - the Romans abandoned the Antonine Wall wall in the Scottish lowlands only a few years after its completion, ceding the country north of Hadrian's Wall to the Picts. So Scotland retained its Celtic character, lost by the inhabitants on the other side of the Wall as a result of Anglo-Saxon/Viking/Norman invasions.

Lads think this Scottish digression thing needs a thread of its own :)

Headlines from Fintan O'Toole's piece today in the Irish Times

"English Nationalism is too naive to know its limits"
"Because the Brexiteers cannot articulate the force that drives them, they cannot set its boundaries.

Happy leave voter is probably confused and delighted by the unfolding events. Doesn't really understand what its all about or why but it is enough to believe it has given the EU a bloody nose and shows them who is boss.
One would expect gleeful bountiful posts from ecstatic Brexiteers but strangely quiet. EV's classic one liner (for him) is the only noise. But that is just a bit of light stirring which I would ignore.

Guessing myself there has to be some deeper reason or logic for this tactic as BJ will not die in a ditch for NI. From this point onwards the happy Brexiteers might start to get worried as from this point on things will get very interesting.:(

I respectfully disagree there. England was indeed Celtic pre-Roman invasion, but Scotland and Ireland never received the external influences that changed England to such a degree - the Romans abandoned the Antonine Wall wall in the Scottish lowlands only a few years after its completion, ceding the country north of Hadrian's Wall to the Picts. So Scotland retained its Celtic character, lost by the inhabitants on the other side of the Wall as a result of Anglo-Saxon/Viking/Norman invasions.
Well, as one I’d say the Romans gave it their best shot and I don’t blame them for making the right ‘workplace risk assessment’. They came a cropper trying to vanquish the Germanic tribes and never extended their reach to Scandinavia ( same thing?) and as a consequence we have had to suffer the unscrupulous behaviour and table manners of that lot. Dublin’s full of them :) if you look around.
I had a fascinating conversation with a colleague from Nuremberg several years ago who told me the Russians and Putin in particular couldn’t be trusted because of their descent from the Rus’.

Cummings communicating with the media by use of papers. It’s the latest trick in the book- Ministers and government officials are scrupulously supervised with briefings placed inside folders to avoid this specific eventuality. After one or two infamous cock ups years ago , this now only happens when it’s intended. Cummings is no mug but check the new dress style- does his wife have to lay down the law on matters of personal hygiene?

WfhRSrm.jpg

I fully support Johnson’s Internal Market Bill.

in that case perhaps you could say which of the following explains best the situation that we find ourselves in. On the verge of being seen as a rogue state by other countries.

Johnson knew when he signed a legally binding international treaty with the EU that he had no intention of holding to that treaty. He then lied to the British public with his ‘oven ready deal’, winning the election with promises based on that lie.

or

Johnson signed, and his parliamentary party agreed to pass, a treaty and bill they did not understand.

The idea that Johnson was pushed for time is ludicrous. The deadline for signing the withdrawal agreement was chosen by Johnson.

Stephen

Are you so sure about that? Cutting off one's nose to spite one's face comes to mind...

Not sure at all. If it was BJ himself alone sure but Cummings and all the other narcissists must have a menu of nasty undemocratic policies they wish to be free to pursue. But I hope you are right.

It doesn't matter Stephen no matter what he does it is like the states it is yesterdays news a few weeks later.

in that case perhaps you could say which of the following explains best the situation that we find ourselves in. On the verge of being seen as a rogue state by other countries.

Johnson knew when he signed a legally binding international treaty with the EU that he had no intention of holding to that treaty. He then lied to the British public with his ‘oven ready deal’, winning the election with promises based on that lie.

or

Johnson signed, and his parliamentary party agreed to pass, a treaty and bill they did not understand.

The idea that Johnson was pushed for time is ludicrous. The deadline for signing the withdrawal agreement was chosen by Johnson.

Stephen

Again, Im curious to know how low you are prepared to go in defending Johnson’s actions.

Good luck with that, no amount of economic damage or national duplicity will bother the nationalists. Loved Johnson's straw man stance he looked even more pathetic than usual. When cornered just lie. These hypocrites will support him whatever.
I agree, but I doubt Hugh does. :D

or

Stephen

Don't bother Stephen. Anyone who fully supports the UK government breaking international law is not going to be able to engage in a debate rationally. It's a waste of time trying.

I assume Braverman and the others giving 'legal' weight to the Government's illegal act are not planning on working in legal practice after they stop being politicians.

Stephen
You'd hope, wouldn't you, that politicians prepared to be associated with this shower, and their advisers and hangers-on, would never work again. Sadly, I suspect they'll prosper.

You'd hope, wouldn't you, that politicians prepared to be associated with this shower, and their advisers and hangers-on, would never work again. Sadly, I suspect they'll prosper.

There are a number of articles in the Irish Times today/yesterday suggesting that the EU have moved on to more pressing items and have come to the conclusion the UK do not want a deal. It seems they are prepared to let the UK politicians play big boys in their own pond and thrash around with their bill/law breaking. Attitudes are hardening but they will remain ready to complete the deal as agreed. In some ways it makes sense to let BJ and his mob fart around for a few more months wasting more time and making themselves look more ridiculous. I just wish Ireland and NI could be taking out of the firing line. Some of the headlines below.

EU will ‘never backtrack’ on UK withdrawal deal, says von der Leyen

‘Trumpite’ Boris Johnson wants EU to fail, former British diplomat says

Indeed. But it seems that the more incompetent you are, promotion and success follows for politicians.

I suspect there might be some disbarring if the bill gets Royal assent. If so, would the Government continue to use disbarred lawyers?

Stephen

There are a number of articles in the Irish Times today/yesterday suggesting that the EU have moved on to more pressing items and have come to the conclusion the UK do not want a deal. It seems they are prepared to let the UK politicians play big boys in their own pond and thrash around with their bill/law breaking. Attitudes are hardening but they will remain ready to complete the deal as agreed. In some ways it makes sense to let BJ and his mob fart around for a few more months wasting more time and making themselves look more ridiculous. I just wish Ireland and NI could be taking out of the firing line. Some of the headlines below.

EU will ‘never backtrack’ on UK withdrawal deal, says von der Leyen

‘Trumpite’ Boris Johnson wants EU to fail, former British diplomat says

Has the penny dropped at last, I wonder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back