advertisement

Quality sofas?

JimmyB

pfm Member
Better half would like a Churchill sofa or similar but I don't want to spend tonnes on what would basically be an Ikea sofa dressed up in nice clothes.

Is there anywhere that makes a quality decent frame or what should I look for?

Don't pay a fortune!
We've had several cheapish sofas in the past. They tend to last about 5 years before becoming saggy and/or stained.
Last time we thought we'd splash out on a genuine ParkerKnoll.
Guess what - had it 4 years and now it's sagging and despite its alleged 'stain resistance' showing definite signs of discolouration.

Don't pay a fortune!
We've had several cheapish sofas in the past. They tend to last about 5 years before becoming saggy and/or stained.
Last time we thought we'd splash out on a genuine ParkerKnoll.
Guess what - had it 4 years and now it's sagging and despite its alleged 'stain resistance' showing definite signs of discolouration.
We have 2 sofas which my wife bought for her first house before we were together. She bought quality and paid around double the DFS type price. We’ve been married 28 years, so they are over 30 years old. Frames as good as new. No sag, creaks or other signs of age. We paid the price of a cheap DFS sofa to have them reupholstered around 10 years ago, and will probably do that again, in another couple of years. It’s worth seeking out quality if they are a long term prospect. Unfortunately I can’t offer any recommendations as the shop in question closed a few years ago.

Last edited:
I don’t know where you are based but we bought a sofa from a local manufacturer who use solid wood frames.

20 plus years later I am still sat on it.

Half the population, i.e. the fairer sex, will want a change after 4 or 5 years so bear that in mind before shelling out a fortune for something designed to last for ever. Also getting something re-covered is about as expensive as buying a new item. N.B. This doesn’t apply if you are a member of the aristocracy, you will be happy with your threadbare sofas and chairs that have been kicking around the pile for a century or two.

Timely thread for me, as we are using a G-Plan one my parents bought in the early 80s and I'm getting nudged by deebsterette to either get it reupholstered or replaced.

If you like the style, I'd say G-Plan would be well worth the reupholstery treatment. Just find a local firm with a good rep, and a good selection of available covering material.

We bought one from DFS for about £1800, when most were £500, it is still in great condition after 11 years. We refilled the cushions about 3 years ago for a bit more plumpness but that is it.

Have always fancied a Tetrad Eastwood 3 plus 2 though, 2nd hand prices are like cars, take the hit at new.

I think a lot of areas have a 'local' maker with little publicity who makes good sofas. A good frame is worth it, but good fabric is gosh! expensive too.

But we have three Multiyork sofas here - all will last for decades. Another three sofas from Sofology - now owned by DFS. They are OK too - the 'better' of them will last a very long time. The cheaper pair in the office/snug will probably not last so well - so paying more does get you longer life.

But plenty of people reckon a DFS will last as long as needed - and with upholstering will go on further too. Yes reupholstering is expensive - its the fabric!

I bought a second hand Ekornes Stressless sofa on Ebay about 15 years ago for £560. It looked as though it had never been sat on in the photos and that proved to be the case when I saw it in the flesh. It now looks as good as when I bought it and no sagging. I do realise this style of sofa isn't for everyone but it's a possibilty to consider.

We have a couple of black leather two seat sofa by Paul Somebody-or-other. Bought from Heals in the early '90s for £1450 each, and that was half price in a Sale!

They have survived two children and seven cats!

My mother still has the ercol 3 piece suite that must be getting on 50 years old (I'm in my 50s and it's all I can remember). It's been through a couple of sets of cushions but still looks and works well.

It's the solid frame I guess that we want and I'd rather reupholster than drop off at the tip every 5years.

I'll maybe have a search for a maker nearby as people must do this. I know of a good upholsterer but as I'm not frequenting the local these days I'll have to wait to ask him about local makers.

I bought a second hand Ekornes Stressless sofa on Ebay about 15 years ago for £560. It looked as though it had never been sat on in the photos and that proved to be the case when I saw it in the flesh. It now looks as good as when I bought it and no sagging. I do realise this style of sofa isn't for everyone but it's a possibilty to consider.

Simiilar experience with Ekornes Stressless sofas. We bought two in about 2004 or 2005. I find them OK, other people need to grow longer legs. If you are of Norwegian stature then I think these sofas would be well worth investigating. They look very nice.

Deffo not of current Norvege stature despite Anderson ancestry :(

John Lewis is wife's go-to so if their stuff is 'proper' then might just stick with them, do you know who makes them for JL?

Our last 2 sofas have been from Next, and I have no complaints about the quality and comfort.

Deffo not of current Norvege stature despite Anderson ancestry :(

John Lewis is wife's go-to so if their stuff is 'proper' then might just stick with them, do you know who makes them for JL?
We bought a g plan sofa setup from them about five years ago, worth every penny still looks like new.

Their beds are excellent too btw.

Current sofas are Next, bought in sales. She hates them, not sure why as seem fine to me.

Looking about there may be a couple of local companies so will have to look into what they can offer too.

advertisement

Back