advertisement

Best value/most interesting property for least cash in the UK

Couldn’t agree more, but it’s very easy to get sucked into the merry go round!

The big 25 year mortgage trap is definitely loved by Politicians...keeps the tax paying hamsters in line for 25 years so they don't stray off grid :)

Last edited:
It's that price in Northern Ireland becauses it's in Northern Ireland and not many people want to live there. Do you?
I like to visit but it isn't for me when it comes for somewhere to live, much like Lincolnshire ... [ I come from Peterborough so I have a bit of an idea about Lincs].
I live in South London and with this Government I'm more likely to leave the UK than to look to NI or Lincs.

Definitely....have you spent much time here? I couldn't imagine bringing up children in SE England personally. Modern mortgages need two parents working so not sure how much they actually see of their kids (maybe a good thing :)).

We have the Republic of Ireland as our playground. I wouldn't live there as too expensive but great place to holiday, Donegal, Cork, etc. and no 3 hour traffic jams on long weekends.

Colder here so wouldn't want to be here 30 years ago but modern house sorts that and the internet means you can get anything you want.

Yes, it's the lack of serious congestion here that's great. I've been on English motorways at midnight that are busier than some here are at peak hour.

Here's a 6 bedroom lump for the price of a 1 bed flat in Lewisham and 45min drive to Belfast.
https://www.propertypal.com/littlemore-14-castleward-road-strangford/647338/photo-2
That could easily sit on the market for 6+ months and not even fetch that price.

21464801.jpg
Wow, that's a palace. It's weird though, no garage or outbuildings. A massive garden and space for a big family but nowhere to put bikes, mowers, garden tools, all the furniture you'll need for all the outdoor entertaining that they keep taking about.

Looks exactly like the local farmer has cut off one side of a field and sold it off for a house - in most of England you would struggle to have got planning for that. Looks lovely - but probably not been lived in - as Steve says - where do you store the mower? - or do you just use a service? Heating that little lot with oil must be fun when the oil prices rise again!

Grew up in NI - left for England when I was 18. Moved back to Ireland (Dublin) 15 years ago. Countryside is indeed lovely and generally quality of life (eg restaurants etc) has transformed in NI over last 10 years but I couldn’t cope with the underlying sectarianism and the nonsense politics which still are very problematic. Wouldn’t want my children to have to carry all that weight I grew up with.

Wow, that's a palace. It's weird though, no garage or outbuildings. A massive garden and space for a big family but nowhere to put bikes, mowers, garden tools, all the furniture you'll need for all the outdoor entertaining that they keep taking about.

...but it does have its own mini-go-karting circuit!

Yes, was my first thought actually.

Grew up in NI - left for England when I was 18. Moved back to Ireland (Dublin) 15 years ago. Countryside is indeed lovely and generally quality of life (eg restaurants etc) has transformed in NI over last 10 years but I couldn’t cope with the underlying sectarianism and the nonsense politics which still are very problematic. Wouldn’t want my children to have to carry all that weight I grew up with.

Trick is to live outside Belfast etc. We are on the east coast half way between Dublin and Belfast and to be honest no one gives a toss about all that shite....my kids certainly don't come across any of it.
I saw more silly violence back in Oz and England than I have seen here. Now 25+ years ago was different here of course. Belfast will never have the buzz of Dublin, London... but it won't have the prices either...

But back onto property value, rental yields tell you alot about the 'real' value of property. It encompasses what actual people can pay in rent so indirectly tracks property prices versus wages, etc. Nth Ireland is normally near the top and gross yields of 8% or more aren't that hard to find.

Last edited:

Looks exactly like the local farmer has cut off one side of a field and sold it off for a house - in most of England you would struggle to have got planning for that. Looks lovely - but probably not been lived in - as Steve says - where do you store the mower? - or do you just use a service? Heating that little lot with oil must be fun when the oil prices rise again!

Yes, was my first thought actually.

Is it the two rooms at the side of the utility room?

That house is about 3 miles from me, someone who can afford to buy and maintain that place will probably use a gardening service. Over the past good few years that area would be a bit of a tourist hotspot with coach loads of GOT fans visiting Castleward.
The sectarianism is nowhere near as bad as it used t be in NI thankfully but it still does exist and in many areas outside of Belfast.
Having said that, there is lots of places you can live and never come into contact with it.
Unfortunately most of the elected politicians are complete arse holes which reflects the no's of complete arse holes voting them into position.

Nextdoor but one to us. Not tooooo bad, but you need a car to live here. Only a pub in the village, but plenty of shops within five miles.

By the way, our pad is nothing like that!

The Stowmarket house looks like the type that might own you rather than the other way around. Lots of maintenance, distance from services etc etc. Looks nice, but I bet not cheap to own.

I love the fact that we are offering David 4 bed family homes, when I met him he had no children, certainly none living with him, and he lived alone. What's he want with 4 beds in a retirement home?

Back OT, David lives in York. How do you like the villages to the North, say Easingwold area? Less going on than York but nice places. You can get more for your money elsewhere but there's a reason for that.

advertisement

Back