advertisement

Best value/most interesting property for least cash in the UK

All of that area is still in the 1950s. Boston less so, but the villages still don't know what crime, traffic jams or .mobile phones are.

I thought crime was rife in some areas around there. Boston was quite bad about twelve years ago, I think. Although it could all just be relative, of course.

You are right about Boston, but 5 minutes outside and it's all over. Every few years they have some poor lost soul who hasn't left a pig farm for 10 years and one day looks at his charges and thinks " that one's quite cute". Some while later he gets had up for it. Other than that, and the occasional stolen trailer, not much.

You are right about Boston, but 5 minutes outside and it's all over. Every few years they have some poor lost soul who hasn't left a pig farm for 10 years and one day looks at his charges and thinks " that one's quite cute". Some while later he gets had up for it. Other than that, and the occasional stolen trailer, not much.

DEFRA regs are quite strict on what you inject into livestock these days.

Lots of slebs and superannuated pop stars end up in rural Lincolnshire for the low crime, space and slow pace of life. I hear that Daniel Craig has a big pile somewhere near Spilsby, Barbara Dickson had a house in Tathwell, Robert Wyatt of course famously lives in Louth, and a few more have set up recording studios in former agricultural buildings when the pop career ended. The drummer from Howard Jones band is one such, a mate's son was in a band with the chaps son. Louth and Horncastle are pretty towns, so is Caistor, Market Rasen less so and Lincoln has traffic that you will not believe. Grimsby, Boston and Scunthorpe are bloody awful, but not without their gritty charms. The Fens are dull. All this area is sports car and motorbike heaven.

So I'd choose Louth or Horncastle out of the towns, both are on the edge of the Wolds. I'd choose Newark over both.

Northern Ireland...semi retire at 50 easy.

A mate is selling his tiny cottage in Dartmouth for a ridiculous sum to a DFL (he’s fed up with it being so busy there these days) and buying a pile on Strangford Lough, along with a load of cash in the bank. He can’t wait.

A mate is selling his tiny cottage in Dartmouth for a ridiculous sum to a DFL (he’s fed up with it being so busy there these days) and buying a pile on Strangford Lough, along with a load of cash in the bank. He can’t wait.

Yeah, that's up the road from me...don't believe all the media BS about NI. Yes, it's run by lunatics but just ignore them and get on with life.

Those lunatics keep lots of people away and the cost of living low (average wages is circa £22k) and being in the UK tax system it's very easy to live here and never pay the higher rate of tax .Also, even Belfast has some amazing parts and you can actually drive around the town at peak times.

I've lived in SE England so have seen both sides of the coin.

Lots of slebs and superannuated pop stars end up in rural Lincolnshire for the low crime, space and slow pace of life. I hear that Daniel Craig has a big pile somewhere near Spilsby, Barbara Dickson had a house in Tathwell, Robert Wyatt of course famously lives in Louth, and a few more have set up recording studios in former agricultural buildings when the pop career ended. The drummer from Howard Jones band is one such, a mate's son was in a band with the chaps son. Louth and Horncastle are pretty towns, so is Caistor, Market Rasen less so and Lincoln has traffic that you will not believe. Grimsby, Boston and Scunthorpe are bloody awful, but not without their gritty charms. The Fens are dull. All this area is sports car and motorbike heaven.

So I'd choose Louth or Horncastle out of the towns, both are on the edge of the Wolds. I'd choose Newark over both.

You missed out Graham Fellows / John Shuttleworth. (Louth way)

Yeah, that's up the road from me...don't believe all the media BS about NI. Yes, it's run by lunatics but just ignore them and get on with life.

Those lunatics keep lots of people away and the cost of living low (average wages is circa £22k) and being in the UK tax system it's very easy to live here and never pay the higher rate of tax .Also, even Belfast has some amazing parts and you can actually drive around the town at peak times.

Once he’s settled in I’m going over in the campervan for a wander. It looks stunning around there and value for money looks off the scale. I thought Wales was good value but the nice bits are becoming increasing busy, the decent properties are selling quickly and prices are going up (still cheap compared to the SE).

You missed out Graham Fellows / John Shuttleworth. (Louth way)
Indeed. Also Royston Vasey, Chubby Brown, I think one of the villages between Louth and Grimsby. As I say the list is long, the majority of them have a decent amount of money without being stupidly loaded. If they were that wealthy, they'd have the 6 bed vicarage with outbuildings, an acre of grounds and parking for 8 cars in Buckinghamshire or Surrey, but they aren't so they have to make do. The Jaggers and McCartney s of this world go elsewhere.

It’s very easy to live in the rest of the UK and never pay the higher rate of tax.

It’s very easy to live in the rest of the UK and never pay the higher rate of tax.

True but I'm guessing also more in SE England are though. Big mortgages need to be serviced by big salaries.

The £12.5k Personal Tax Free Allowance is also generally a greater proportion of your salary here.

Once he’s settled in I’m going over in the campervan for a wander. It looks stunning around there and value for money looks off the scale. I thought Wales was good value but the nice bits are becoming increasing busy, the decent properties are selling quickly and prices are going up (still cheap compared to the SE).

Yes, it's the lack of serious congestion here that's great. I've been on English motorways at midnight that are busier than some here are at peak hour.

Here's a 6 bedroom lump for the price of a 1 bed flat in Lewisham and 45min drive to Belfast.
https://www.propertypal.com/littlemore-14-castleward-road-strangford/647338/photo-2
That could easily sit on the market for 6+ months and not even fetch that price.

21464801.jpg

Yes, it's the lack of serious congestion here that's great. I've been on English motorways at midnight that are busier than some here are at peak hour.

Here's a 6 bedroom lump for the price of a 1 bed flat in Lewisham and 45min drive to Belfast.
https://www.propertypal.com/littlemore-14-castleward-road-strangford/647338/photo-2
That could easily sit on the market for 6+ months and not even fetch that price.

21464801.jpg

Crikey. Does the land and construction cost make something like that viable to build? If you are financially independent, I really don’t understand why people stay in the SE when there are such options available.

ETA as a comparison, I have a place in Cornwall. If that property was plonked in a similarly nice location, such as Restronguet Point, it would have neighbours on both sides and be about £2 - £2.5M. Absolutely bloody miles from anywhere useful as well.

It's that price in Northern Ireland becauses it's in Northern Ireland and not many people want to live there. Do you?
I like to visit but it isn't for me when it comes for somewhere to live, much like Lincolnshire ... [ I come from Peterborough so I have a bit of an idea about Lincs].
I live in South London and with this Government I'm more likely to leave the UK than to look to NI or Lincs.

It's that price in Northern Ireland becauses it's in Northern Ireland and not many people want to live there. Do you?
I like to visit but it isn't for me when it comes for somewhere to live, much like Lincolnshire ... [ I come from Peterborough so I have a bit of an idea about Lincs].
I live in South London and with this Government I'm more likely to leave the UK than to look to NI or Lincs.

Of course. However, I’d argue that many people would actually love to live there. The main obstacle is the fact they need to be in the SE to earn the salary which drives the inflated property prices (and pay lots of tax in the meantime). The govt love it, a form of modern day slavery when you think about it. I know many who are literally trapped with big Home Counties piles and associated mortgages, multiple school fees to pay, expensive spouses etc. If their job goes, everything crumbles to pieces.

advertisement

Back