advertisement

NHS Covid testing - has anyone managed to book one?

James Evans

Bedroom Bodger
Trying to book one for our son who has a temperature, and general cold symptoms. More than likely just a back to school cold but want to be on the safe side. Got through the test booking process up to the last screen which showed location, date, time for the test, clicked "save and continue" and was taken back to the NHS covid info screen. No confirmation text, email, or screen.

So, I have no idea if it is actually booked. Do we drive for the best part of an hour to get there and find there's no test for him? Any way to actually find out if it did succeed?

ta

Trying to book one for our son who has a temperature, and general cold symptoms. More than likely just a back to school cold but want to be on the safe side. Got through the test booking process up to the last screen which showed location, date, time for the test, clicked "save and continue" and was taken back to the NHS covid info screen. No confirmation text, email, or screen.

So, I have no idea if it is actually booked. Do we drive for the best part of an hour to get there and find there's no test for him? Any way to actually find out if it did succeed?

ta
I read today that there’s a “walk in” in Birkenhead, google may have the details.

I read today that there’s a “walk in” in Birkenhead, google may have the details.
Thanks, there's a walk in 5 mins down the road actually, but I had assumed it was appt only. When I google the Huyton center we are supposed to be booked into nothing comes up re covid testing.

I'll stroll down to the walk in test centre here in the morning before we're supposed to head off. You never know, they may actually have access to a central database of bookings that can actually confirm whether it went through, but I won't hold my breath...

This is why no one can get a test. If you or a child have cold symptoms then it's likely to be a cold. A runny nose is not CV-19.
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/testing-and-tracing/get-a-test-to-check-if-you-have-coronavirus/#:~:text=Do not wait. If,also stay at home
Thanks, yes, that's what I figure, but I feel like for the sake of us, his classmates and teachers we ought to have him tested. It is really most likely just a cold, but you just never know.

What I'm wondering is, has anyone actually managed to successfully book a test, and if so, what does the confirmation look like, if there is one at all? Ie, did our booking actually go through, or fail at the last hurdle.

He has a temperature, it’s one of the three main symptoms. His Dad is right to try to arrange a test.
Cold symptoms are not the symptoms of Cov19. Whilst I sympathise with James I'm also aware that it is virtually impossible to get a test in the UK right now, and when I ask myself why I find it pretty easy to come up with an answer.

Indeed, and his school will no doubt say anyone with anything vaguely resembling a symptom is not to come in for 5 days.

What I'm wondering is, has anyone actually managed to successfully book a test, and if so, what does the confirmation look like, if there is one at all? Ie, did our booking actually go through, or fail at the last hurdle.

Yes I tried but the software was rubbish and it kept crashing. I rang 111 and they sorted it. I got an email confirmation. It took four days for me to get the result. That was about three weeks ago, less.

Cold symptoms are not the symptoms of Cov19. Whilst I sympathise with James I'm also aware that it is virtually impossible to get a test in the UK right now, and when I ask myself why I find it pretty easy to come up with an answer.
Idiotic post ignoring the utter incompetence of the booking system.
Just do a google for heavens sake man and find out about centres supposedly full yet staff say are virtually empty.

Yes, nevertheless the official advice is that he should get the child tested.

Yes I tried but the software was rubbish and it kept crashing. I rang 111 and they sorted it. I got an email confirmation. It took four days for me to get the result. That was about three weeks ago, less.
OK, so it looks like the test booking failed then. I'll walk down to the walk in centre in the morning and see, and failing that, ring 111

Idiotic post ignoring the utter incompetence of the booking system.
Just do a google for heavens sake man and find out about centres supposedly full yet staff say are virtually empty.
Aw yeah, anecdotal evidence, go for it. Google is your friend, no doubt you trust all of the top sites and stories it comes up with.

OK, so it looks like the test booking failed then. I'll walk down to the walk in centre in the morning and see, and failing that, ring 111

Absolutely disgraceful state of affairs. I've just watched the channel 4 news about it and it has made me angry.

I wish your son well.

This is why no one can get a test. If you or a child have cold symptoms then it's likely to be a cold. A runny nose is not CV-19.
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/testing-and-tracing/get-a-test-to-check-if-you-have-coronavirus/#:~:text=Do not wait. If,also stay at home
No reason to believe that’s why no-one can get a test other than that’s Hancock’s line: reports suggest the real problem is poor organisational and staffing practices.

What makes you think you know better than the government’s own website, by the way, which advises you get a test for one or more of three symptoms, including a high temperature?

Bad tempered bad advice.

Hancock lying through his teeth as usual but the Tories tend to keep incompetents in place for some reason that escapes me.

No luck here. One MP is advising just to turn up at the walk-in centre but first you need to know the opening hours, which vary, and be well enough to get there, of course.

My daughter's got a high temperature, persistent cough and a headache, plus a runny nose and sneezing. I'm just hoping it's a cold but how could anyone possibly know without a test.

advertisement

Back