advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did I say you stated an opinion? No don't think so. You just did there now suggesting I go off like a hair trigger whenever anyone posts anything. So maybe off you go give me all the references to back that up? Demonstrate the level of references you think necessary to back up your comments?
What do you mean 'the level of references'? You make a statement, for example about unemployment levels, then you need to back it up with the statistics. If you are making a statement about a politician having done or said something then back it it up with a quote. The quality of said reference is another discussion....

In the meantime, from the former local rag:

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/...ira-gets-weapons-from-hezbollah-39527531.html

The consequences of a hard border could be considerable.

Simon Coveney on radio this morning suggesting at best this is just a straw man tactic. It would be typical of BJ/Tory party to pick a region he has no interest or understanding of and using it to somehow help his Brexit cause.
Have to remember this is 'Mister Shaky hands in hospitals' man who did just that in hospitals and went on TV to boast about it before catching covid.

What do you mean 'the level of references'? You make a statement, for example about unemployment levels, then you need to back it up with the statistics. If you are making a statement about a politician having done or said something then back it it up with a quote. The quality of said reference is another discussion....

Thanks if you don't mind I will just try to focus on the thread. I have your message maybe you might be kind enough to pick out a few others and point out where they need to improve.

Were you as surprised as I was at how quiet or placatory the honourable DUP members have been of late? It’s looking like they’ve known for some time that Johnson has been playing Barnier along on the matter of N.Ireland.

No this is how it always plays out on either side. The DUP still probably have dreams about the return of gerrymandering.

Simon Coveney on radio this morning suggesting at best this is just a straw man tactic. It would be typical of BJ/Tory party to pick a region he has no interest or understanding of and using it to somehow help his Brexit cause.
Have to remember this is 'Mister Shaky hands in hospitals' man who did just that in hospitals and went on TV to boast about it before catching covid.
I hope you're right, but one also has to remember that his great hero is Winston Churchill, and I can see him seeing himself in Churchillian defiant "we shall fight them on the beaches" mode. In 1940, all seemed lost for the UK - the USA had written off the UK and the only potential help, the Imperial Dominions, weren't exactly just down the road. Yet it survived, to become the unsinkable aircraft carrier from which Europe was liberated. I seem to recall references to Churchill's "sunlit uplands" in the Brexit speeches, so the Churchillian mentality seems to be strong. My fear is that reverence for this vanished historical era, apparently strong among the public school/Oxbridge English ruling class, may cause them to do something daft.

Were you as surprised as I was at how quiet or placatory the honourable DUP members have been of late? It’s looking like they’ve known for some time that Johnson has been playing Barnier along on the matter of N.Ireland.
You seem surprised.

Not all of them. While Arlene Foster seemed to be accepting of it as a done deal (perhaps because she knew something, as you say?), Sammy Wilson and his ilk were still foaming at the mouth. Northern Ireland's first post-Partition Prime Monster, James Craig, spoke of "a Protestant Parliament for a Protestant people". A substantial slice of the Unionist population still ascribe to this thinking, even though it's hopelessly out of date. A friend tells me that his brother-in-law, an ardent Unionist, is mortified by that fact that his grand-daughter, going to school in Galway, is learning a rather different version of Irish history.

Not all of them. While Arlene Foster seemed to be accepting of it as a done deal (perhaps because she knew something, as you say?), Sammy Wilson and his ilk were still foaming at the mouth. Northern Ireland's first post-Partition Prime Monster, James Craig, spoke of "a Protestant Parliament for a Protestant people". A substantial slice of the Unionist population still ascribe to this thinking, even though it's hopelessly out of date. A friend tells me that his brother-in-law, an ardent Unionist, is mortified by that fact that his grand-daughter, going to school in Galway, is learning a rather different version of Irish history.
She’s not ( sharp intake of breath) learning Gaelic is she? Also if it was a ruse that Sammy Wilson wasn’t in on, it’s very cruel because Sammy looks like he’s about to blow an aneurysm at the best of times.

She’s not ( sharp intake of breath) learning Gaelic is she? Also if it was a ruse that Sammy Wilson wasn’t in on, it’s very cruel because Sammy looks like he’s about to blow an aneurysm at the best of times.

Tiocfaidh a lá? Not Arleen - if I remember correctly, she said that, if reunification would ever take place, she'd move to the mainland. Crazy, because the dominant Protestant Plantation settlers came from Scotland - and the Scots who invaded and ultimately named Scotland over a millennium before, partially displacing the Picts, came from Ireland, so she's as Irish as Paddy's pig. And the Northern Loyalists don't seem to get that the average English person wishes s/he'd never heard of Ireland.

The Ulster Planters were predominantly Presbyterians from the Scottish Lowlands, a population whose language and history had very little in common with the more Catholic, Gaelic-influenced Highlands.

I hope you're right, but one also has to remember that his great hero is Winston Churchill, and I can see him seeing himself in Churchillian defiant "we shall fight them on the beaches" mode. In 1940, all seemed lost for the UK - the USA had written off the UK and the only potential help, the Imperial Dominions, weren't exactly just down the road. Yet it survived, to become the unsinkable aircraft carrier from which Europe was liberated. I seem to recall references to Churchill's "sunlit uplands" in the Brexit speeches, so the Churchillian mentality seems to be strong. My fear is that reverence for this vanished historical era, apparently strong among the public school/Oxbridge English ruling class, may cause them to do something daft.

That was Simon say's but whilst I would hope the UK parliament would reject this BJ's massive majority delivered by the electorate I think means it will happen. The lovely Arlene was supporting it today. Wants the nasty EU to stop using NI to get at the UK. Rocky times ahead with a new onslaught of covid and BlowJerism ( A new beginning brought to you by the auld Etonians)

Listening to her today one can see how it could sink back into the abyss. Arlene and Sammy etc are like wall to wall advertising for the new IRA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back