advertisement

What are you listening to right now #56

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having a John Martyn weekend and have been listening to all his solo LPs from the beginning. The run from The Tumbler to One World is unimpeachable. The two with Beverley have their moments, but lack the singular vision of his solo albums.
Grace & Danger is his best album, I am not a massive fan of One World but most fans seem to really rate it. I only have ‘Road to ruin’ of the ‘duet’ albums & it is very disjointed, not sure I like her voice but she was probably cowering in fear in the studio.

PJ. Harvey Dry Demos.

Probably still my favourite album by her. My better half has the original numbered double album on vinyl signed by Polly and her band, but for convenience I also just bought the reissue of the demo album on cd - love the way it's recorded, so raw and free.

The Richard and Linda Thompson "Hard Luck Stories" box arrived yesterday and I'm working through it to start with. It's good to hear the old favourites well remastered and there are some gems in the extras. There's a demo version of "Dimming of the Day" on cd4 that's just devastating, and the version of "Calvary Cross" from "(guitar, vocal)" is a Desert Island Disc for me and sounds even better here.
There is some talk of defective discs on Steve Hoffman, mine are OK so far.

Grace & Danger is his best album, I am not a massive fan of One World but most fans seem to really rate it. I only have ‘Road to ruin’ of the ‘duet’ albums & it is very disjointed, not sure I like her voice but she was probably cowering in fear in the studio.
"Bless the Weather" for me (if you skip that blues about sugar) closely followed by "Solid Air", which has the best cover ever. I know, I spent hours staring at it while attempting sorrygami with Rizlas ;)

"Bless the Weather" for me (if you skip that blues about sugar) closely followed by "Solid Air", which has the best cover ever. I know, I spent hours staring at it while attempting sorrygami with Rizlas ;)
I used to prefer Bless the weather to Solid Air but I have flipped my preference of late. Grace & Danger is his most focused work, a stunning set of vocals but maybe too slick for some.

The Montreal Tapes: Charlie Haden, Don Cherry and Edward Blackwell. CD, but what the hell - it's a great session and one I wish Verve would release on LP (in fact all of Haden's Montreal sessions from 1989 would be nice to have on vinyl).

The Kane Gang - Miracle. Probably not the sort of stuff that I normally go for, but recently, when doing some adjustments to the system, I grabbed a random album from the rack and it was this one. It's a library copy that I bought ages ago and I'm not even sure that I've played it before, but now I'm hooked!

Beatles - Abbey Road (Pro Use Vinyl) - splendid. betters the black triangle cd by some.
Eric Johnson - Live from Austin.
Susan Tedeschi - Live from Austin TX.
5 years of Desolat mixed by Loco Dice.

Steve 'Silk' Hurley* ‎– Jack Your Body
Label:
D.J. International Records ‎– LONX 117
Series:
The House Sound Of Chicago
Format:
Vinyl, 12", 45 RPM, Single
UK
Released:
Dec 1986
Genre:
Electronic
Style:
House

then >

Pluto* ‎– Your Honour / Dat
Label:
KR (2) ‎– KRT 4
Format:
Vinyl, 12", 45 RPM
UK
Released:
Genre:
Reggae

B-Boy's go grab your Lino...

Galaxxy ‎– Sexy Style (Club Mix)
Label:
Pop Art Records ‎– PA-4914
Format:
Vinyl, 12", 33 ⅓ RPM, Stereo
US
Released:
Genre:
Electronic, Funk / Soul
Style:
Electro, Funk

and now for something completely different... Gosh, he has a strong voice.

Tom Jones ‎– Green, Green Grass Of Home
Label:
Decca ‎– SKL 4855
Format:
Vinyl, LP, Album, Stereo
UK
Released:
Genre:
Rock, Pop

The Jonzun Crew... "Lost In Space" L.P. 1983

A-32454-1154328563.jpeg.jpg

I feel I really should start wearing thigh length boots and a flamboyant wig, I reckon I am missing out.

And those hats!

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back