advertisement

Best value/most interesting property for least cash in the UK

An old skateboarder mate of mine sold his house in Bognor Regis and was able to buy a lovely house near Wainfleet, Lincs. Mortgage free and some money left over.
He now has a massive garden, with outbuildings/stables, 2 garages....

He also says it is a lot friendlier and the skies are big.

An old skateboarder mate of mine sold his house in Bognor Regis and was able to buy a lovely house near Wainfleet, Lincs. Mortgage free and some money left over.
He now has a massive garden, with outbuildings/stables, 2 garages....

He also says it is a lot friendlier and the skies are big.

It's also a lot quieter now that the RAF don't use the beach as a bombing range.

Good Morning All,

I used to live in north Lincolnshire, North Somercotes to be precise. Before we moved up here we looked at places in Lincolnshire and, as some will be aware, the Wolds are the only part of Lincolnshire where there are any 'hills' and the property prices reflect this. You also end up paying lots of money for houses with outbuildings and the state of said outbuildings plays no part in the pricing. It could be brand new or 100yrs old. We gave up looking and moved up here to Aberdeenshire.

I can understand people from down South selling up and moving north but it isn't always going to make you popular with the locals especially as you will be adding to pricing the younger generation even further out of the market.

Lots of 'cheap' property in and around Aberdeen(shire) currently.............

Regards

Richard

That’s just round the corner from me. Looks like a potentially really lovely place, but I have to wonder if effectively 400k is a bit ambitious for where it is?

wow dave , are you that near ? we must get together sometime . you are always welcome

yes well its offers around 300k , its a massive 4 bed house and as you know many of them are HMO so hopefully someone will think its worth it . it is very dated and needs rework of the roof and lots of updating . parking is what brings it down a bit , very limited

I wonder what you write to something that really wound you up :) lol
Anyway the point IS that in the 70's building regs became far far tighter. Foundations, cavity wall specs, roof ventilation, damp proof courses etc all were more tightly specified. As a rule of thumb, any house built after the mid 70's should have got the basics right. before that, it varied according to individual builders, the local planning officer and etc. Doesn't mean ofc that some splendid houses were not made before that date, simply that after that date, 'affordable' houses would all be made to certain standards. FWIW, of the 15 homes I've lived in so far, only one was built after 1975, and of the rest, only 2 were a bit of a pain.
As I said, it's all solvable if you understand old houses and have good DIY skills, but if you don't, and haven't, modern housing is less of a gamble.
None of which is total BS.

You're not in the building game are you? Don't confuse regulations with good building standards. The regulations were the bare minimum required and fortunately today are a lot more stringent than they were in the 70s and 80s. A lot of properties built pre-1970 are very well constructed and over engineered, but by virtue of their age and the materials available then will require some significant maintenance from time to time (e.g. re-wiring, DPC enhancement etc.). As for listed properties it is a lottery, depends on the conservation officer, how you approach the project and what it is you want to do. I have a listed property (1780 windmill) and have planning to put a 2 storey extension on the side of it, but as I wanted to blend it in and spend on the right reclaimed materials to do so the conservation officer was very supportive.

I have a listed property (1780 windmill) and have planning to put a 2 storey extension on the side of it, but as I wanted to blend it in and spend on the right reclaimed materials to do so the conservation officer was very supportive.

That is a large statue of Don Quixote.

A staff member at my wife’s school has moved to Scunthorpe, bought a massive place for less than £200k, borrows his neighbours ride on mower. This is Guy Martin country so you can guess...

Commutes to Sheffield for work. Don’t think he has a mortgage but has replaced that with fuel costs.

I'd give the Wirral a miss if I was thinking of selling up and moving north, total shithole, air pollution bad, crime bad, schools bad, natives unfriendly...

Or just enjoy what you have, realise how lucky you are, and stay living near family/friends?

I’ve lived in: Essex, Bucks, Suffolk, Norfolk, Lincoln, N Yorks, Co Durham, Lancs, Saudi, Suffolk, Saudi, Essex, Cambs and now back in Suffolk again.

The thought of upping sticks again to go and live somewhere colder, darker in winter, away from good towns, featureless, etc fills me with dread.
I suppose yes, if I lived in Silvertown, in a two bed flat with a lovely selection of crime going on all around me, I’d be tempted. But silly ol me has never done that to myself!

Last edited:

advertisement

Back