advertisement

Should we have a Tool Tips Thread?

Have to disagree with you there Jez, I don`t think the likes of CEGB and NCB would have set up quality standards for crimp connections if soldered would have been better.

I have used a lot of crimps over the years, much quicker than solder and no burnt fingers with the larger cables.

I use this ratchet crimp tool : https://uk.farnell.com/thomas-betts/wt2124y/crimp-tool/dp/210304?ost=wt2124y which I have had for more than thirty years. Similar cheaper versions are available.

Red or Blue insulated crimps are mostly what you would use, Red is for wire up to 1.5mm, Blue for 1.5mm to 2.5mm.

Most 1/4 inch blade crimps are the same thickness, the various other widths also vary in thickness so you need to get the right ones.

Have to disagree with you there Jez, I don`t think the likes of CEGB and NCB would have set up quality standards for crimp connections if soldered would have been better.

I have used a lot of crimps over the years, much quicker than solder and no burnt fingers with the larger cables.

I use this ratchet crimp tool : https://uk.farnell.com/thomas-betts/wt2124y/crimp-tool/dp/210304?ost=wt2124y which I have had for more than thirty years. Similar cheaper versions are available.

Red or Blue insulated crimps are mostly what you would use, Red is for wire up to 1.5mm, Blue for 1.5mm to 2.5mm.

Most 1/4 inch blade crimps are the same thickness, the various other widths also vary in thickness so you need to get the right ones.

Indeed we will have to disagree 100% there then. Just cause standards have been passed for crimps doesn't mean they are better than solder... they are not in fact... just that "if you are going to use them here's a standard for them". Solder is much quicker, easier, less messing about, the connector cannot become loose or accidentilly be pulled off.... As I say I NEVER under any circumstances use any sort of connector, plug and socket, what have you, internally in an amplifier. Everything is soldered. Things like IEC power receptacles and mains switches with 4mm spade terminals... yep soldered too every time.

My twopennoth....replacing the spade connectors in JBL 4410's (two pairs), Urei 809's and Urei 811As with soldered connections gave a significant uplift in sound quality.

In my case I have power smoothing caps that have screw top connections and I want to put my live wires in one crimp and the neutral in another. As I’m going to be tinkering with and updating these amps for a while yet, I also want to keep the original way of connecting to the amp boards with crimps. Once I’m done tweaking, I might solder the lot.

Crimping is a far superior method in appropriate circumstances as it creates an airtight connection that is far more durable than a soldered joint. Solder doesn't add anything to a properly crimped joint

Having said all that, you don't need durability in hifi so it's horses for courses. It's unlikely you'll need to form a mil-spec connection in the field with your hifi.

I got taught this a few years back by an old school engineer who knew what he was talking about and worked on NASA and military stuff....so again, not hifi.

If in doubt .....wire wrap....:confused:

... As I say I NEVER under any circumstances use any sort of connector, plug and socket, what have you, internally in an amplifier. Everything is soldered.
Whilst soldering provides a most durable connection, one also needs to consider serviceability. The Pioneer M-22 has removable boards that are connected by an array of Molex pins and plugs. It would be a nightmare soldering each of these, and not worry about making a wrong connection. Likewise with plug-in boards that Accuphase, Naim and others use.

Whilst soldering provides a most durable connection, one also needs to consider serviceability. The Pioneer M-22 has removable boards that are connected by an array of Molex pins and plugs. It would be a nightmare soldering each of these, and not worry about making a wrong connection. Likewise with plug-in boards that Accuphase, Naim and others use.

I'm generally making prototypes, one off's etc... as are many DIYers also... It's a completely different scenario to a mass production one where semi skilled staff have to be able to rapidly assemble a unit from finished PCB's and wiring looms, without soldering, and without errors, facilitated by keyed multiway connectors and colour coding etc;)

Spades, crimped or otherwise, plus all other types of internal plugs and sockets can and do cause a fair amount of faults through tarnished, oxidised, dirty contacts, inadequately crimped connections, which then oxidise, or means the wire comes away with little force from the bad crimp. There's a reason why they make contact cleaner.... I've yet to see soldered joint cleaner!

Some kits will come with everything plugable and spaded etc both to make it easy for the noob and for reasons of mass production.... some won't. It's not generally a practical choice on a prototype or one off... unless you want to make a lot of work for yourself and make it difficult to modify/troubleshoot!

@337alant Is that a Duratool clamp or is there a better version?

As Alan has shown in his pics above, a cutting mat is also a very useful tool in the armoury for working on.
If you have ESD matting then even better but not particularly needed in most amp builds.

advertisement

Back