advertisement

Best value/most interesting property for least cash in the UK

The Lancashire mill towns can be stunning value IMO (I live in one). An easy commute to Manchester, lovely countryside within reach (great cycling options etc), and lots of perfectly decent property available <£100k. It was a real shock after living in That London (Zone 2) for quite a while, and a great opportunity to ditch having a mortgage (I just bought with cash/equity).

The one inWalton on the Naze, Essex, has surprised me . Mind you, old people go there to die, but I didn’t think property was particularly cheap there.

I wonder what the longterm impact of lockdown will be on property prices in London and the South generally. If working from home becomes the norm for a lot of people the incentive to stump up £500k for a ex-council flat near a tube station is somewhat reduced.

One man's meat is another's poison.

It is all about the things that everyone knows and EA's work by - position/seclusion/privacy, cost of upkeep, state of the existing building, how the purchase could be financed (commutable, to where? And suchlike), retirement area, etc. etc. etc.

The Walton property - swamped with holiday-makers in season, horrendous upkeep due to being exposed, and so on. Lincolnshire - much of it not a commutable distance from anywhere and low local wages, and so on.

As for the effects of C19 it has made the news umpteen times - LOADS of people like working from home so have been looking further out, so sales have soared and prices risen.

I lived in Torbay for a while and the prices there and also around Tavistock were crazy as plenty of husbands (usually) worked in London and stayed there during the week, and had their other half, (and usually daughters) parked with 2 horses in Devon.

Areas like Lincoln & Newark are quite cheap with some very nice houses but they are isolated.

East Coast is OK but can very insular & the nicer places are expensive.

Scarborough is relatively affordable but I am not sure I could live there (again).

Rural lincs is very nice, lots of house for very little, but remember that there is sod all to do there, no services, no infrastructure. If you can make your own amusement, great.

Rural lincs is very nice, lots of house for very little, but remember that there is sod all to do there, no services, no infrastructure. If you can make your own amusement, great.

Unless you are from one of the Scottish glens, Lincolnshire also has about the most boring landscape in the whole of the UK. It will drive some people, literally nuts.
Again - one man's meat............................

The one inWalton on the Naze, Essex, has surprised me . Mind you, old people go there to die, but I didn’t think property was particularly cheap there.

That particular house was, I think, a guest house so it'll be a 'doer upper'. Walton on the Naze is cheap because it's a typical seaside town and if you have a few bob, you live in Frinton, next door. Trains run to That London but the journey is about 1:45 and not direct.

If you can live w/out a train station with access to That London on the doorstep, there are bargains to be had.

................................If you can live w/out a train station with access to That London on the doorstep, there are bargains to be had.

It is all relative. Basically, nowhere in Essex or most of Suffolk is cheap and some areas are ****ing expensive. Some areas of Norfolk are far from cheap. Lincolnshire is mostly not very expensive.

I spent the first 30 years of my life in and around Colchester-Ipswich-Haverhill and now live outside Leicester, so Lincolnshire is not so very far away now.

If anyone runs a very successful business that exists purely online, or has some other significant income stream not linked directly to a bricks and mortar centre of business, they can live in a mansion that costs not much to maintain, somewhere, with a property price well under £500K.

If the world were flat you could see the Urals from there; visit on a chilly winter's day with a strong easterly and you'll realise that's true.

BY FAR the best time to visit the coast anywhere in the UK - amazing experience - dress appropriately, a couple of water-hounds with you - the perfect way to see the world and to put everything into perspective - blow the cobwebs away, deafened by the sound from the breakers.

advertisement

Back