advertisement

Guitar talk: acoustic, bass, classical, twelve string? You name it! Pt III

Just watching the video on the Suhr now, seems a really great amp. I’d shortlist it if you are undecided about reverb.

PS He’s obviously playing a hell of a lot louder than I ever could! Its clearly a proper rehearsal/small gig/backline grade amp.

PS The problem with the DX7, and to a lesser degree Roland’s D50, was 98% of people were either too thick or lazy to program them and just played the cheesy and hopelessly overused presets.

Heck most people bought them because of those cheesy and hopelessly overused presets.

Not seen her before, I really like her playing, did she maybe come in from classical acoustic? Cool pedal too.

Certainly has some classical training as she plays violin as well. I'd never heard of her until she popped up on my feed today with that bonkers pedal.

To me the telling moment is when they swap speakers, the PRRI with the better speaker seems "good enough".

So for matthewr, a PRRI with a budget for a speaker change (maybe the Eminence Allesandro GA10-SC64 or -SC59) might be satisfying.

I forgot to mention, but yesterday, after watching the two Suhr videos, I noticed my neighbour was out so had a quick go just guitar straight to the Rift and a little louder than I’d ever usually play. Nothing even remotely like as loud as either video, so still clean, but with a very satisfying light crunch/compression when hitting the note/chord hard. Sounds superb, exactly how I’d want an amp set for recording. It did however only reinforce my view that I couldn’t live without reverb. It is just a ‘make better’ knob IMHO. By saying that I suspect at the 95% clean amp settings I favour a seriously good reverb pedal would likely be perfectly acceptable. I just don’t want the distorted cranked hard-rock sounds highlighted in the videos, I’ve got the Reeves and Rat for that sort of thing. My goal is just a really good clean sound at a low volume level, and the Rift knocks that one right out of the park IMO.

PS Going straight into the amp definitely sounds better than even my small three-pedal line-up, this using really good (self made, Neutrik plugs, low capacitance) cables and keeping everything real short too. Just a little more top and dynamics.

I’d like to comission a sax player, (of course I’d like Lora Logic now she’s back...) but how does one scope about getting a sax player to overdub in their home studios during this COVID-separated era?

I’d like to comission a sax player, (of course I’d like Lora Logic now she’s back...) but how does one scope about getting a sax player to overdub in their home studios during this COVID-separated era?

A site called Fiverr, apparently:

Yvette Young plays in Covet ..... there's also an Andertons interview with her.

Anderton's is perhaps the most blokish of things and Lee is not the most natural interview even when he's talking to other middle aged me, so it makes for a slightly awkward chat. But she is great and a great advert for learning by instinct and ear taking you in interesting directions. Also she namechecks American Football which pleases my midwest emo math rock side.

Anderton's is perhaps the most blokish of things and Lee is not the most natural interview even when he's talking to other middle aged me, so it makes for a slightly awkward chat.

But possibly not as awkward as in the interview last week when Carlos Santana was extolling the virtues of dropping acid.

I chanced upon that a few weeks ago sifting through the pfm shop CDs, a new one on me but I really like it! It is going nowhere.

That was originally my copy I suspect!? And dates from our late 90s / early 00s Berwick Street adventures.

PS Trevor Wong's you tube channel is great if you want to find all those great extended chord shapes from this sort of music. Although be warned you will look at the chord shape and think you can play it only to realise there is a whole other fret between your second and third fingers. You need to practice your Vulcan salute to play this shit :)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUERVRulpmC0DMspYCXlqaw

Also as Yvette Young noted, it's all about alternate and open tunings.

That was originally my copy I suspect!?

Indeed it is, if there is anything similar lurking in there please let me know! My knowledge of that math-rock to emo area is pretty limited (Dianogah, Dismemberment Plan, Bedhead etc), but I do very much like it. As ever as a music dealer one never gets a chance to hear everything that comes in with a large collection. There have been many times I’ve later ended up hunting down stuff for myself that I know I’ve already sold through the shop in the past!

...PS Going straight into the amp definitely sounds better than even my small three-pedal line-up, this using really good (self made, Neutrik plugs, low capacitance) cables and keeping everything real short too. Just a little more top and dynamics.

Maybe you would do better with a buffer on the input

advertisement

Back