advertisement

how to boil the perfect egg.

Rockmeister

pfm Member
I have no idea.
'In the old days', we had a boiled egg most mornings. I'd guess they were fresh and came out of the larder, not a fridge. They went, for 3 mins, into boiling water and I don't remember anything other than the perfect runny yolk and a nice firm white.

For all my adult life, this process hasn't worked. If the white is firm, the yolk's a bit firm too. Small egg take less time. Fridge eggs need an extra minute, or, if large, 2, but not always. Whites are hard outside but water further in....
AAAAARGH.

However this morning, 1 large egg, straight from the fridge, lowered slowly into near boiling water, and then boiled for 5 mins exactly was just, for once, perfect.

I'll never repeat it tho. Anyone have a fool proof sure fire way to boiled egg heaven?

Starting from very cold eggs often means the shell will crack.
I start in cold water and bring to the boil, but basically only ever eat hard-boiled, so maybe 4 minutes from start of boil. If I want a soft yolk, I poach them, which lets you judge exactly how hard and runny in combination, you have got..

If you want to peel them VERY easily (for sandwiches and the like). Boil to whatever time, tip the water off and immerse in plenty of cold water. Stand for maybe 2 minutes, job done - the cold water is sucked through the pores as the egg cools and forms a layer over the cooked egg, under the shell - the shell just peels away with the membranes.

Take the eggs you want for breakfast out of the fridge before you go to bed. 3 mins in boiling water for large, less for smaller. Open egg immediately to reduce its ongoing cooking from its residual heat.

Put into cold water, bring to boil then boil for a further 3 mins.

Or put into boiling water for 5 mins for a large egg.

I boil the kettle, slowly pour into saucepan With egg in on full and boil for 5 mins.

Cold water method less prone to cracking.

Egg from cupboard.

This or rather boil 1 min then remove after 5 in total but same principle fro soft boil.

Sorry lack of detail, egg into cold water from fridge bring to boil, 1 min, heat off and leave for 5 mins then place in a bowl of cold water to stop the cooking. Once you can handle the egg, peel and eat.

Even starting from cold water, a chilled egg from the fridge commonly cracks. I often cook them in threes - for sandwiches - and I reckon, from fridge temperature most times I get one cracked, so around 30%.

I have no idea.
'In the old days', we had a boiled egg most mornings. I'd guess they were fresh and came out of the larder, not a fridge. They went, for 3 mins, into boiling water and I don't remember anything other than the perfect runny yolk and a nice firm white.

For all my adult life, this process hasn't worked. If the white is firm, the yolk's a bit firm too. Small egg take less time. Fridge eggs need an extra minute, or, if large, 2, but not always. Whites are hard outside but water further in....
AAAAARGH.

However this morning, 1 large egg, straight from the fridge, lowered slowly into near boiling water, and then boiled for 5 mins exactly was just, for once, perfect.

I'll never repeat it tho. Anyone have a fool proof sure fire way to boiled egg heaven?

Just get someone else to do it for you.

We never put eggs in the fridge.

Cold water in pan just covering eggs. Bring to the boil and just simmer for 3 minutes 20 seconds for large eggs.

Some slight variation if the eggs are less fresh than they should be.

We never put eggs in the fridge.

Horses for courses - I eat less than one egg a week on average. Even a 6-pack would not last outside of a fridge.

I also store eggs destined for the incubator in the bottom of the fridge - they are fine for the best part of a fortnight there, VERY much doubt they would be if kept at room temperature, but depends on what laid it.

Just buy one of those egg timer things that you put in the water. It's a red, plastic, egg shaped thing that turns progressively more yellow, the longer it's boiled.

Just crack one into a cup, give it a good stir then drink. Saves money and helps the planet.

Regarding eggs cracking, I heard on tv that adding salt to the water helps. Something do with osmotic changes of the shell.
We have also been boiling for 2 mins then turn off and leave for 2-3 mins.
Pics would help this thread.

I used to like eggs but tended to only have a couple from a box, then forget about them so the rest would go off. Haven’t had one for years now.

Frying eggs is one of the fun things in cooking I miss being vegan. I had a ‘vegan fried egg’ at a restaurant a few weeks ago. Was like eating a slightly sulphur-tasting inner-sole.

advertisement

Back