advertisement

Recommend a repairer near Manchester

Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Accuphase all the way down
My NVA AP50 has been sat in the loft for years, having been retired when a channel stopped working (and I’d acquired a better amp too). I’m pretty sure it’s something trivial like a dry joint, but it’s time I got it looked at and fettled up.

Any recommendations for somebody to take this to, within easy driving distance of Manchester?

Thanks, any idea how I contact Mike? Is he a member here?
If you contact Audio T in Manchester, they have his number. He used to have his workshop above their old Bolton shop. I don't think they'll take it on themselves as O think they only do their own brands through the shop.

Have you thought about asking NVA themselves ? They are under new ownership and still very active.

I had a listen to an AP50 and rather liked it. It certainly deserves to be used regularly.

If you contact Audio T in Manchester, they have his number. He used to have his workshop above their old Bolton shop. I don't think they'll take it on themselves as O think they only do their own brands through the shop.
Thanks, a quick google has found me this, which I presume must be him.

Another recommendation for Mike, he recently repaired an amp that had lost a channel and rebelted a Sony cassette deck that has a particularly frustrating mechanism, both working perfectly now. Didn't take him long either.

My NVA AP50 has been sat in the loft for years, having been retired when a channel stopped working (and I’d acquired a better amp too). I’m pretty sure it’s something trivial like a dry joint, but it’s time I got it looked at and fettled up.

Any recommendations for somebody to take this to, within easy driving distance of Manchester?
Sounds like you may already be sorted, but if not, and if you can cope with a trip across the Pennines, I'm sure Class A could do it. I know they're commonly associated with Naim and Linn, but I've had them doing other stuff for me in the past. Did a great job on my A&R A60 a few years ago.

I think the NVA cases are bonded aren’t they? Could be a bit awkward to get into without damage occurring so I’d mention that to prospective repairers unless you return it to NVA of course.

Sounds like you may already be sorted, but if not, and if you can cope with a trip across the Pennines, I'm sure Class A could do it. I know they're commonly associated with Naim and Linn, but I've had them doing other stuff for me in the past. Did a great job on my A&R A60 a few years ago.

Maybe, but he wouldn't look at my Arcam AA5+ player a couple of years ago.

I think the NVA cases are bonded aren’t they? Could be a bit awkward to get into without damage occurring so I’d mention that to prospective repairers unless you return it to NVA of course.
No, the top plate is held on with machine screws. The sides and bottom are bonded.

Undoubtedly, Mike Powell in Bolton. He is nearest and just excellent, IMO.
Alternatively, I have also had sterling service from Wilkinsons HiFi in Nelson, near Burnley.
Thumbs up for Mike. Superb service at a reasonable price. Sorted my out of warranty Naim NAP250DR when Naim would have charged £100's

advertisement

Back