advertisement

Nvidia RTX30xx Graphics

Gary,

Have a 1080ti now so should be looking at a substantial jump if I plumb for a 3080.

You're in for a treat, mate, but the latest nVidia card comes with substantial installation costs.

sux5XW1.jpg

Joe

Although 'Yeahbut, can it run Flight Simulator 2020' is the new 'Yeahbut, can it run Crysis?'
Yes disappointingly they are doing it for XBOX which would imply yet again building for the lowest common denominator.

I really think they should make it so it makes a PC beg.

Yes disappointingly they are doing it for XBOX which would imply yet again building for the lowest common denominator.

I really think they should make it so it makes a PC beg.

Original Crisis can still make a PC beg in certain ways because of number of technical issues (it was badly optimised, it was written for dual cores CPUs at the point the world went multi-core, etc. etc.)

BTW the new Xbox and PlayStation will be very, very powerful and consoles will not be second class citizens to PCs they were previously. In fact it might be the other way around as games might start being written for things on the new consoles that PCs can't do.

Good news LevelCap have confirmed Crysis will have a 'will it run crysis?' for the PC version.

Happy days.

This is a well-argued piece about relative performance expectations. Keep an eye on console vs PC, the consoles are going to better most existing gamer PCs - the Steam hardware survey shows that the most abundant hardware configuration is still a quad core and a 1060 ;) People are looking at the design of the console motherboards and extrapolating to estimate DNA2 performance. In this video he's arguing the nVidia is playing at over-hyping to get the early sales - in practice I think the cards will be hens' teeth anyway. IMO, the thing for AMD is to allow it's partners to release DNA2 cards from day one (unlikely) and if it can produce working drivers on time on its limited resources (also unlikely).

So a guy wearing an AMD t-shirt?

I'll take a watch but not feeling it man. Also he looks like desperate dan haha.

Yeah I need to watch. Without having done so though, I find it doubtful that a console graphics if compared at the same resolution/FPS as a PC will out perform it. Will the next gen still be running 30 FPS for instance?

I am not doing the AMD/Nvidia thing here, I just find it doubtful that next gen consoles are going to out perform next gen PCs. However you do state current PCs, well thats a bit of a irrelevant argument.

If what nVidia says is true (if) then moores law is alive and well :)

I am not doing the AMD/Nvidia thing here, I just find it doubtful that next gen consoles are going to out perform next gen PCs. However you do state current PCs, well thats a bit of a irrelevant argument.

I don't think the new consoles will better the next gen high end PCs, no. I think they'll be good enough to generate a very large number of sales though and be a good step up from what people are currently using

He seems set on teraflops, which is not really the whole story is it?

Lets hope AMD gets a bob on with its reveal any how so we can at least compare.

I don't know Gavreid, I'll stick with Gamers Nexus for proper information, this guy sounds like he plays minecraft for youtube views.

He seems set on teraflops, which is not really the whole story is it?

Lets hope AMD gets a bob on with its reveal any how so we can at least compare.

I agree teraflops doesn't equal fps.

I don't know Gavreid, I'll stick with Gamers Nexus for proper information, this guy sounds like he plays minecraft for youtube views.

I don't think he'll be too far off. Remember AMD has only a tiny market share with 5800 XT currently so can't really lose, unless DNA2 is hopeless. I like Buildzoid too, if though he rambles a lot...

That would be a mistake I think. Moore's Law is Dead is my go to as well for this sort of thing and unlike a lot of other people who went all "ZOMG!" after the NVIDIA announcement only to have to backtrack when they realised they fell for the marketing, he's been more right than wrong for a long period of time. He also does an excellent podcast called Broken Silicon where he does long form, deep dives with actual experts from various parts of the industry if you really want to geek out on this sort of thing.

So don't let the broadcasts from his trailer home put you off :) He's a very good source for graphics and CPU related news and analysis.

I don't think the new consoles will better the next gen high end PCs, no. I think they'll be good enough to generate a very large number of sales though and be a good step up from what people are currently using

The issue is not raw processing power though as much as the new consoles might have some features in silicon that game devs can directly take advantage of so we end up in a situation where consoles are no logner second class citizens. Previously it was all about whoever has the most grunt could run DirectX / Vulkan better so gave the best performance.

Anyway, as any fool knows, the biggest reason to use a PC for gaming is actually the keyboard and mouse not the graphics :)

The issue is not raw processing power though as much as the new consoles might have some features in silicon that game devs can directly take advantage of so we end up in a situation where consoles are no logner second class citizens. Previously it was all about whoever has the most grunt could run DirectX / Vulkan better so gave the best performance.

Anyway, as any fool knows, the biggest reason to use a PC for gaming is actually the keyboard and mouse not the graphics :)

The new console motherboards look really serious

The 3080 benchmarks are here. It's a good bit faster than a 2080Ti, better in some titles than others as might be expected and, of course, a good bit cheaper. You can expect the same level of performance at 1440p that the Ti delivers at 1080p roughly speaking.

Think im going to wait a few months to see what AMDs new cards can offer as it will probably be a new build machine for me despite my old one still providing excellent results for me at 1440p. If i build new then for the first time in ages it will probably be an AMD chip 3900x or similar rather than an i9.

Think im going to wait a few months to see what AMDs new cards can offer as it will probably be a new build machine for me despite my old one still providing excellent results for me at 1440p. If i build new then for the first time in ages it will probably be an AMD chip 3900x or similar rather than an i9.

Me too. I wouldn't buy an 80 card anyway but the 70 vs the new AMD should be interesting. The 80 is really aimed at 4K/8K or extreme fps

advertisement

Back