advertisement

Classic British Modern & Free Jazz Recommendations

Graham, Cadillac indicating vinyl limited edition of 500 released 7th August is Sold Out. Amazon showing pre order for 4th Sept. ? Not listed on Gearbox website. I suppose I could pre order on Amazon and see if it comes, but I doubt it will?

I ordered the Harry Beckett album on spec from my local Indie store not really expecting it to turn up. Got a text yesterday saying it had arrived. Collecting today :). Also had the Beckett on pre-order from Amazon but got a mail yesterday saying they weren’t able to supply.
My local store does have a stock copy available if anyone has trouble finding one

Last edited:
Derek Bailey wrote a book to accompany an excellent series of TV programmes shown if I remember right on Channel 4.

"Improvisation: Its Nature And Practice In Music" - still in print and available on Amazon

I ordered the Harry Beckett album on spec from my local Indie store not really expecting it to turn up. Got a text yesterday saying it had arrived along with the Thelonius Monk Live at Palo Alto vinyl! Collecting today :). Also had the Beckett on pre-order from Amazon but got a mail yesterday saying they weren’t able to supply.
I got a similar email from Amazon yesterday about the Beckett saying they they are unable to give me a delivery date and suggesting I try their market place.

The Derek Bailey book is great - though it's been pointed out that he doesn't include any female perspectives. Perhaps a failing more of the music scene than Derek specifically.

The Derek Bailey book is great - though it's been pointed out that he doesn't include any female perspectives. Perhaps a failing more of the music scene than Derek specifically.

Which is a shame as DB played with many women improvisers from the get go in the 60s, and many took part in his Company projects around the world. Some credit to Karen Brookman too, Derek’s widow, she’s doing sterling work with the Incus archives and was a vital part of Incus since the 70s. Love some of her sleeve designs - such as Notes.

I got a similar email from Amazon yesterday about the Beckett saying they they are unable to give me a delivery date and suggesting I try their market place.

Same here with Beckett from Amazon, but Juno emailed me yesterday afternoon and there is now a copy on it’s way to me. Don’t hold back, one source indicating there are only 250 copies, another 500 - Juno now indicating low stock this morning.

Well Amazon did come up with the goods with the Harry Beckett before I got to change to Juno. Just played it now and it sounds excellent. SWMBO is out so I'm giving this some wellie volume wise and played like this Joy Unlimted seems an apt title with this pressing. Only slight downside was a static charged inner paper sleeve (BN80 like), so cleaned record and replaced.

Ray Russell's contribution on this has spurred me to pull out some of my originals of his to play next.

Company projects around the world.

Has anyone invested in the recent reissues of the Company LPs. They are beautifully produced and apparently mastered from the original tapes, but I've so far resisted, as I'm not sure where I'd stop. I've tended to listen to Improv less at home than live, but I've been starved of Cafe Oto this last 6 months so I might instate a weekly improv at home night.

Has anyone invested in the recent reissues of the Company LPs. They are beautifully produced and apparently mastered from the original tapes, but I've so far resisted, as I'm not sure where I'd stop. I've tended to listen to Improv less at home than live, but I've been starved of Cafe Oto this last 6 months so I might instate a weekly improv at home night.

Yes, I have. Although I have many Incus originals I've duplicated some titles primarily for the bonus material, as well as obtaining some of the Company titles that have never been previously released. They are carefully mastered, pressed and presented, and Jack Kilby's photography, especially of DB and Han Bennink, is brilliant. Highly recommended.

Last edited:
Just played it now and it sounds excellent. Ray Russell's contribution on this has spurred me to pull out some of my originals of his to play next.

Gearbox really have done justice to this with a dynamic, full bodied sound. Probably sold out by now. Envious of your Ray Russell originals.

Gearbox really have done justice to this with a dynamic, full bodied sound. Probably sold out by now. Envious of your Ray Russell originals.
Graham,
I forgot to thank you for the heads up on this. It does sound good and as you say very dynamic. Great bass extension as well that really highlights Daryl Runswick's playing.

a4252320213_10.jpg

Worth getting this one. Even enjoy the spoken intros

This thread looks like the place to ask..... I have this LP called Together Again by Shearsmith, Musgrove, Bird, Smith , Dallas Smith, I suspect it is Free Jazz and is totally unlistenable-to as far as I am concerned. Does anyone know it or them and is it seriously reckoned to be any good .... by anyone?

This thread looks like the place to ask..... I have this LP called Together Again by Shearsmith, Musgrove, Bird, Smith , Dallas Smith, I suspect it is Free Jazz and is totally unlistenable-to as far as I am concerned. Does anyone know it or them and is it seriously reckoned to be any good .... by anyone?
I don't really know anything about the musicians. The album was recorded at Sheperton in 1987 and appears to be a one off looking at Discogs and the artists links don't give much more on them. It's the Only listing by Face Value Records so possibly a musicians funded recording?
https://www.discogs.com/Allan-Dalla...ve-Jerry-Bird-Together-Again/release/14739142

I don't really know anything about the musicians. The album was recorded in 1987 and appears to be a one off looking at Discogs. Only listing by Face Value Records so possibly a musicians funded recording?
https://www.discogs.com/Allan-Dalla...ve-Jerry-Bird-Together-Again/release/14739142

Thanks - I have seen the names on other recordings as members of other ‘ensembles’, had I been aware at the time it was self funded I might have put in a contribution for it not to be recorded!

Roger Smith is a very fine guitarist and was a member of a quiet, some say pointillistic, SME (Spontaneous Music Ensemble) in the late 70s early 80s. I don't know Together Again, but it probably doesn't represent their finest 45 minutes.

advertisement

Back