advertisement

Nvidia RTX30xx Graphics

I dont think Nvidia has anything to worry about with AMD at the moment, however intel are looking to enter this market and two next gen consoles are due out, neither of which use nvidia, so this is a good play on their part.

I dont think Nvidia has anything to worry about with AMD at the moment, however intel are looking to enter this market and two next gen consoles are due out, neither of which use nvidia, so this is a good play on their part.

Intel can't fabricate at 7nm though so I think that will be for the future. AMD's making the console hardware and these will be pretty fast - they'll sell by the boat load. That could be the competition to the homebuild PC for nvidia...

Maybe not in terms of performance leadership, but the volume play here is at a lower level - even $500 is pretty high for many to pay. Curious to see what AMD does with their announcement in the coming weeks.

What the new cards need is a killer app that exploits the performance advantage and gives people a compelling reason to purchase.

Maybe not in terms of performance leadership, but the volume play here is at a lower level - even $500 is pretty high for many to pay. Curious to see what AMD does with their announcement in the coming weeks.

Well nvdia has not mentioned a 3060 yet so I think this whole play out is going to be great for customers just like AMD on CPUs of late.

i'm waiting for AMD's offering before even looking at Nvidia's new lineup.

they royally f@cked over their customers with the ridiculous 20 series RTX prices, i'm sticking with my MSI GTX1080 'till something that doesn't require a bank loan comes along ;)

i'm waiting for AMD's offering before even looking at Nvidia's new lineup.

they royally f@cked over their customers with the ridiculous 20 series RTX prices, i'm sticking with my MSI GTX1080 'till something that doesn't require a bank loan comes along ;)
Have you finished paying for the 1080 yet?

What the new cards need is a killer app that exploits the performance advantage and gives people a compelling reason to purchase.

I think they'll get that - a lot a future releases will commit to real time ray tracing, which is exciting imo, but perhaps not retrospectively. What we don't know yet is how the new boards will scale on traditional rasterisation, i.e. what gain there might be on existing titles.

What kind of applications need such Graphics Card power?

The cards have more than just rasterization features most obviously all the tensor cores for AI (which really just do basic operations of linear algebra because AI is mostly just adding and multiply matrices over and over again) and some clever stuff for moving data directly from storage to video memory.

Also a lot of the power of these cards is devoted to real time ray tracing which has largely been ignored by the games industry. of course that might change although it's worth remembering that most games programmers can't really do graphics programming and it's only when Nvidia writes their shaders for them that games start to really take advantage of the extra power.

BTW the really high end card is not really a gaming card and is aimed at imaging and video professionals. People will buy it for gaming but they are people with the proverbial relative amounts of money and good sense.

I would also wait for actual reviews and benchmarks and wait to see what Big Navi delivers. Although in practice everyone will have to wait anyway as these things will be as rare as hen's teeth until the new year.

AMD have nothing goin' on. All they will have is mid/low spec cards at a good price.

We don't know that. They *might* have enough in pure raster performance to make Nvidia think again in the context of not many games bothering with ray tracing or AI. Although one suspects that Nvidia can quickly move to a refresh based on TSMC's 7nm node if AMD do shock everyone. At the very least I think AMD has driven the launch price for the 30 series cards down which is why they were held to teh same price as the 20 series.

We also don't know how many of these Nvidia are going to be able to make on Toshiba's famously low yield node.

Yeah, I'm just trying to rile up the AMD crowd. Wouldn't have a clue what they are doing.

Toshiba?, I think Samsung and TSMC supply most of of the bleeding edge nodes.

Sorry, yes Samsung I meant. It's all been quite the drama over the last few months as NVidia seemingly tried to throw their weight around but it turns out that TSMC are the big dog in all of this and told them to sod off. Also the Samsung node Nvidia are using is quite possibly sort of 7nm but Nvidia are being conservative in how they describe it -- although I suspect you would know more about that than me.

I should also say that overall as consumers we should all be very optimistic -- the next gen consoles look like they will force the gaming industry to work out how to use all this new tech (ray tracing, the super fast direct storage to video ram stuff, etc) which means games will eventually start to use all this power in the high end PC cards.

All we need now is more first person openworld, got seriously bored of the variations of farcry. I see crysis is being remade which should be fun and hopefully dying light 2.

All we need now is more first person openworld, got seriously bored of the variations of farcry. I see crysis is being remade which should be fun and hopefully dying light 2.

The textures straight to video ram from fast SSD is mostly aimed at enabling massive open world games that render at the same fidelity as the best single player games.

Having said all that most of my gaming is small indie games (Factorio) and RPGs rather than FPS my 1080Ti still plays everything I need to just fine. Sticking with 1440p rather than going to 4k was a good move I think and I feel no need to upgrade even 4 years later.

I see crysis is being remade which should be fun

Didn't know that. Hopefully we won't have to wait 20 years before we can play it on the highest settings. The original one still crashes or slows down on me now.

advertisement

Back