advertisement

Nvidia RTX30xx Graphics

david ellwood

Kirabosi Kognoscente
Looking very interesting.

The new RTX3070(£500) is supposed to hugely outperform the old RTX2080Ti (£1200)

I have been holding off buying a new graphics card for years but now might be a good time to get back on.

Yeah I am delighted I nearly buckled to a 2080ti last month but left it thank god. Have a 1080ti now so should be looking at a substantial jump if I plumb for a 3080.

There’s a plethora of 2070 and 2080 cards with very optimistic prices on the second hand market at the moment

David nope, very doubtful, purchased by people who jumped on the first gen of this new architecture and now probably sore about the new stats at half the price so want that instead

Looking very interesting.

The new RTX3070(£500) is supposed to hugely outperform the old RTX2080Ti (£1200)

I have been holding off buying a new graphics card for years but now might be a good time to get back on.

I think they'll be similar in performance, the 3070 being a bit better - for much less money obviously. Definitely a big advance. The 3080 will be much superior to the 2080 Super...

Ex coin mining rigs, that have been run 24x7 at full power for years

The mining boom had already passed by the time the 20 series came out. Peak mining was 1060s and 1070s, along with AMDs 470 and 480.

I'd be very surprised if anyone had a garage full of 2070/80s for mining.

My local power company keeps finding shoplots stuffed full of coin mining equipment, stealing electricity. They are reported as operating for about a year

Yeah I am delighted I nearly buckled to a 2080ti last month but left it thank god. Have a 1080ti now so should be looking at a substantial jump if I plumb for a 3080.
Similar position to me. I’ve been running a 1080ti for four and a half years, and have been looking to upgrade for a while...

For the super rich there is a 3090!

Not on my budget! I'm on an RX 5700 XT - I think Nvidia is rolling more performance than it perhaps would otherwise have wanted to, in attempt to neuter the new generation of AMD cards before the launch. It'll be interesting. AMD was hoping to be competitive with the 3080 this time but maybe they'll still be at 3070 level, which would be just fine with me say at £400.

What kind of applications need such Graphics Card power?

Video Editing, Gaming, CAD?

Video rendering, gaming at high resolution - the new 3080 will manage 8k at 60 fps apparently and say 1440 at high fps (250 ish), CAD - so all of the above. Personally, I think it's about be able to do these at a much lower power draw from the wall - 350 W plus is quite ridiculous in todays climate.

advertisement

Back