advertisement

Supernait v Aethos

Olsen

pfm Member
Did anyone try both amplifiers (any Naim Supernait v Rega Aethos) care to view their findings and associated equipment in chain.

Did anyone try both amplifiers (any Naim Supernait v Rega Aethos) care to view their findings and associated equipment in chain.
Someone on the Naim forum tried BOTH Supernait3 and Aethos in his system with Harbeth P3ESR. The Supernait3 was sent back, Aethos stayed.

It's very much a matter of taste . Sn3 is very well known , fab remote and built like a tank and correct me if I am wrong but it's upgradeable.

Yes, it's very much a matter of taste, and perhaps matching with speakers as well. The user who tried the SN3 actually thought the amp was underpowered in driving the P3ESR. I don't have direct experience so I couldn't comment. Just passing the experience.

I prefer the SN3 driving my P3ESR to the Vitus RI-100 that preceded it. I don't perceive any lack of power coming from the 300W Vitus. The SN3 is a superb amp and great value by Naim standards.

Can't imagine the SN3 not having enough power for the P3ESR, I auditioned the P3ESR with a brio and felt it was plenty in a large listening room too.

It's an odd thing the perception of power vs the specs. I have read comments previously that say the SN2 has more 'grunt' than the rega elicit r for example but on paper the rega has more power and the Aethos even more so.

I think the perception of power differences between any Naim and Rega amp is how the gain is configured. I find you have much less useable travel on Naim gain than Rega. The Naims seems to go louder quicker as you turn up the volume, whereas mast Rega amps have a much wider spread between quiet and loud, making the naim seem more powerful, the rega more useable in real terms.

I prefer the SN3 driving my P3ESR to the Vitus RI-100 that preceded it. I don't perceive any lack of power coming from the 300W Vitus. The SN3 is a superb amp and great value by Naim standards.

Interesting perhaps
As a sidenote, some Naim 500 users seem to prefer or change to Vitus.
Only heard Vitus at shows and that was dissapointing really.

Can't imagine the SN3 not having enough power for the P3ESR, I auditioned the P3ESR with a brio and felt it was plenty in a large listening room too.

It's an odd thing the perception of power vs the specs. I have read comments previously that say the SN2 has more 'grunt' than the rega elicit r for example but on paper the rega has more power and the Aethos even more so.

The 'grunt' comment is interesting, i've heard it before, also SN2 v SN3

Yes, it's very much a matter of taste, and perhaps matching with speakers as well. The user who tried the SN3 actually thought the amp was underpowered in driving the P3ESR. I don't have direct experience so I couldn't comment. Just passing the experience.
sn2 has tremendous power and muscularity , more than adequate for p3esr .

I think people are confusing gain - how loud it will go, with power and damping factor - how much control the amp will provide.

I think people are confusing gain - how loud it will go, with power and damping factor - how much control the amp will provide.
Could be. As I know on paper at least the rega elicit r and aethos have more Watts so therefore more power than the SN3. The Elicit has a slightly strange volume control which allows you to use it way past 12 o'clock, however most naim amps (I understand) are not usable past 9 o'clock from my limited experience. Therefore the naim may give the impression that it is more powerful as it gets louder quicker.

I don't know if there is something else at play though?

Could be. As I know on paper at least the rega elicit r and aethos have more Watts so therefore more power than the SN3. The Elicit has a slightly strange volume control which allows you to use it way past 12 o'clock, however most naim amps (I understand) are not usable past 9 o'clock from my limited experience. Therefore the naim may give the impression that it is more powerful as it gets louder quicker.

I don't know if there is something else at play though?

Most Naim kit I have tried performed more powerfull than specs.
A 70w Nap 250 easy run rings against some 150-200 spec amps.

Most Naim kit I have tried performed more powerfull than specs.
A 70w Nap 250 easy run rings against some 150-200 spec amps.
Yeah I think partly it comes down to how much power the amps produce when the impedance halves. However in theory if you have two amps with same specs I would think they should be able to drive the same speakers equally as well.

I do know that manufacturers can down play their power figures so maybe that is a factor too.

I’m more than pleased with my Aethos. I demoed a SN2 which was fun but I’ve got a separate dac. I also realized I didn’t need, or want to pay for, the MM phono stage that came stock on the SN3 (plus I’m loving my Rega Ios). Add to that, the Aethos has more watts to drive my speakers and less US$ than the SN3. No regrets and pleased as punch.

advertisement

Back