advertisement

One for the Isobarik Experts

Good Evening All,

That's another new high (well low actually :D) for these Isobariks and thanks to David for dangling this latest modification in front of me. I'll now need to get some modified phono to XLR cables from Flashback for when the Exactbox arrives so we can continue to drive all four woofers direct.

The overall cost for the speakers so far a shade over £3,500.......

Listening to Peter Gabriel's 'Us' again - I thought I knew everything that was going on in the bass area previously - something about only scratching the surface comes to mind.

Regards

Richard

Good Morning All,

Is there anybody out there who can explain, in a way I would understand, Linn's philosophy wrt pricing of the Akurate Exactbox and the Exactbox-I.

One is a 'simple' 6 channel splitter and the other an 8 channel splitter c/w 8 x 100W amplification.

Both are priced at £4950......... I must be missing something very obvious??? o_O

I now need to modify two of my nice new Flashback supplied phono to XLR cables for when the Exactbox arrives......

Regards

Richard

Good Afternoon,

Just spoken to Tony at Hi-Fi Corner and I understand that the Linn 'loan' Exactbox is pre-Katalyst...........

Linn are projecting a 4 - 6 week delay before an Exactbox can be made available........

Meanwhile there are what 3 ex-demo models available on a well known internet auction site........

Regards

Richard

Good Morning All,

Assisted by Kate (SWMBO) the speakers came down off their stands yesterday evening for the 'final' wiring modification i.e separating the midrange drivers.

A bit of brute force and ignorance was required to 'persuade' the tweeter cabling to pass through the hot glue sealing to allow the sockets to move over to their new location.

I managed to get everything back together, tested and the speakers re-located late in the evening (one hiccough was after I connected things up and only one midrange driver was working before the penny dropped and I remembered I hadn't modified the XLR input plugs.....)

Now to do some more listening.

That's everything I can do currently.

ruSXpgb.jpg

mifPbSW.jpg

aqyeGCh.jpg

yYAUkLM.jpg

Regards

Richard

In fairness to Linn I was speaking to Hi-Fi Corner on Wednesday and they did point out that the Exactbox 6 is an Akurate level device whereas the Exactbox I is at the Majik level..........

Anyhows didn't a certain Mr. John Prescott have the moniker 'Two Jags' at one point.....

Regards

Richard

Assisted by Kate (SWMBO) the speakers came down off their stands

Brave lady.....the first time my wife helped with the Briks was loading them into the back of a VW Sirocco, when I succeeded in dropping one onto her hand - fortunately from only about an inch, but I learned some new words that day. Thirty six years later, she still has the lump on the back of that hand!

Assisted by Kate (SWMBO) the speakers came down off their stands

My wife is 5ft 2in and weighs only a little more than an Isobarik. No way I will ask her to help shift them. I am able to handle them myself but it is a bit of a thought. On and off the stands is okay but up and down stairs, no way!

Good Afternoon All,

I have now received a dozen each i.e. red and black Deltron banana plugs to replace the older Linn '4 prong' connectors in the hope of getting a better, more consistent connection at both the amplifier and speaker end.

My wife just drops LP12's - albeit only the once.......

Regards

Richard

Brave lady.....the first time my wife helped with the Briks was loading them into the back of a VW Sirocco, when I succeeded in dropping one onto her hand - fortunately from only about an inch, but I learned some new words that day.

That made me laugh sorry. Did those new words have four letters ?

Good Morning All,

The next quandary I have relates to speaker cable lengths..........

Naim recommend, or used to, 3.5mtrs. My original 1988 made K600 jobbies are that length. The additional K400 I'm now using are still the circa 5mtrs as bought.

Reading the lejonklou 'sticky' on the subject he has come up with the 'magic' 2.48mtr length which I see has some support.

I note the issue of the actual wiring internal to the speaker cabinet was raised - I don't want to go down that rabbit hole........

Clearly it would seem sensible to have the cables the same length although some would argue that given the speed of light is what it is, is a metre here or there going to make that much difference in the time the signal arrives at the loudspeaker socket?

If I were to go down the lejonklou 2.48mtr route the only way I can make that work is to move the amplifiers as the distance from the mid point of right hand speaker to the corner of the room is 2.98mtrs.

This would seem to mean sticking them between the speakers on the same wall. If I do this then the pre-amp/ SNAXO will have to move there as well and then I'm left having to use a longer ethernet cable from the LP12 Urika II as it will have to stay around the corner so to speak.

Anybody have any thoughts on the matter???

Regards

Richard

Last edited:
Hi Richard,
I think it's more of an enhancement or optimisation than a deal breaker. I've heard Linn K400 at 2.2, 2.4 and 2.48 all cut and soldered by Fredrik and yes, 2.2 to 2.4 in particular was a nice improvement but I think it's more important to get the room the way you want it. He and others have also said that too short is much worse than too long.

2.5m, 5m or 10m have also been touted by a couple of Linn dealers as a good rule of thumb. You could make that 2.48, 4.96 and 9.92 if you wanted. I'm very happy with 5m of K20 on my Briks.

Have you got a fire extinguisher handy?

David - as in the amplifiers going up in smoke??? Seems like somebody has just reported that!

I think I might be having an issue with the NAP135's driving the two Scan-Speak tweeters, twice now I've lost one channel with moderate listening volumes......... the fault could be in the SNAXO of course. I'll need to do some controlled listening and get up and check the fans are running or if they're running flat out and not coping.

My Fluke shows 1.7ohms when connected to the input for the tweeters but it reads 0.5ohms with nothing connected.

I'm quite happy keeping the cables at 3.5mtrs but, given the chance, would like to find out what Fredrik's 'golden' 2.48mtrs sounds like.

Regards

Richard

A 250 driving only tweeters shouldnt be getting hot at all. Its a tiny load even with a pair in parralel.
You only have to look at the amount of mass being moved and how far its being moved to imagine the amount of energy being imparted.

1.7r for a pair suggests 3.4r each which also seems a little on the low side, which tweeter is it and what does the spec sheet say?

advertisement

Back